Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Window Rattles -FINALLY a Honda FIX!

83K views 93 replies 47 participants last post by  namegoeshere 
#1 ·
I've recently rid myself of my rattletrap 03 Accord, but I wanted to point out to everyone the February issue of Honda/Acura Servicenews, linked to in the Factory Direct forum. Honda has apparently FINALLY figured out (after only 5 years) why the windows make all kinds of noises when rolled up all the way but reduce or stop when rolled down just a hair. It has to do with the door weatherstripping moving against the door, and they spell out a fix in Servicenews. If you're still under warranty, take it in! If not, the procedure isn't that hard, you just need some Shin-Etsu grease and "squeak-reducing tape."

Oh heck, I'll just put the address here:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/a080200.PDF

for the Acura version, change the "a" to "b" in the filename.

Have at it!

EDIT: new instructions link in post 94

#40 ·
The squeak on my drivers side door just started last week. :thumbsdow I'll have to DIY the fix because I refuse to take my Honda to the shady dealership here in Watertown. And the amound of gas I'll spend to go down to Honda in Syracuse (to chance that they will even hear to sound to fix the problem) out weighs the amount I'll spend on the supplies to fix the squeak. I'll post my results after I do the fix and drive my car around a few times. :)

#46 ·
Rubbing? Are you sure that you're talking about the same issue? The TSB is for a window rattling issue.

#44 ·
Anybody know where I can score some squeak reduction tape? :dunno: I have been to almost all the automotive parts stores (minus Napa) to include local automotive repair/specialty shops with no luck; and I am not going to the local Honda Dealership.

#45 ·
Just call around to a different Honda dealership or contact one over the internet to place an order.

#50 ·
My dealer used a felt like tape. I was skeptical but it seems to have worked. I would also bet that you could use velcro - the smooth side not the scratchy side. You can buy it in rolls with sticky back. Much cheaper than that 3m tape.

#52 ·
So here's my thoughts on this: As the ServiceNews Article says, "Some vehicles can make an annoying ticking, creaking, popping, or rattling from the front door when you’re driving with the window all the way up. The noise goes away, though, when you lower the window just a bit."

I am a bit skeptical about the placement of the Squeak Reduction Tape and Grease. If the noise is a result of the window rolled all the way up, then how can it be the rubber seal between the door and car? I would think the window couldn't put that much pressure on the door frame to cause the door seal to squeak, tick, or pop. Wouldn't you think it would be the rubber seal behind the window?
I know that many have had the fix done and have had positive results but there are still some that the squeak still continues after the fix. I believe there can be more than one issue that causes the squeak, tick, pop, or what have you. Hopefully, the "Honda" fix will solve my squeak issue, if not, then my next plan is to "lube" the underside of the window rubber seal (we'll see how that works).
As I am doing the work by myself, I will post my results!

#53 ·
So here's what I did:

I used some Silicone spray I got from a specialty automotive shop. The service tech suprisingly gave the stuff to me for free...wasn't expecting that!

I sprayed the lube onto a papertowel to wipe it onto the seals.

Door frame seal:

Wiped just the outside portion of the seal.

Door outer rubber seal:

Wiped the outer and underside of the seal.

Door window rubber seal:

Pealed out/back the rubber seal and wiped the inner race of the seal excluding the (rubber) track that the window rides on.

I did notice when I rolled my window all the way up, the top of the door "pulls" out just slightly.

After lubing the seals, I drove my car around some bumpy roads and my squeaking, crackin, and popping noise went away. Time will tell if my fix lasts.

None of the Honda shops had the Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease and squeak reduction tape in stock; they'd have to order the stuff...and besides, a roll of the tape is like 60 bones...

#54 ·
I have an '07 4cyl. EX-L with horrible popping and squeaking. I am still under warranty...just have to find time to take it in. I am glad your fixed worked. My only comment is that you will probably have to do this again at some point. This stuff will wear away or dry out and some point. Won't it?

#58 ·
No it won't. It will just get rid of the squeaks, ticks, and pops caused by the rubber seal(s).

On a side note, I drove my car from Watertown down Syracuse today (1hr 30min drive) and didn't hear any "squeaks" throughout the drive (there and back)! :banana:

I used Shin-Etsu on my car and my wife's 03 and it lasted about 1 year. It did do a very good job of quieting nearly all our squeaks and rattles. I guess I'll just have to consider applying Shin-Etsu annually as part of my routine maintenance.
So...where did you acquire the Shin-Etsu grease? When I talked to Honda's service department, they said that they don't carry any of the Shin-Etsu grease but a brand of equal grade...the service advisor couldn't tell me the other brand. :dunno:

#62 ·
Just wanted everyone to know that I dropped off my '07 Accord EX-L for the front window rattle. I printed out the PDF of the Honda Tech Bulletin and dropped it in the envelope with my key the night before.

They performed the fix and so far the windows do not rattle.

#63 ·
I've recently rid myself of my rattletrap 03 Accord, but I wanted to point out to everyone the February issue of Honda/Acura Servicenews, linked to in the Factory Direct forum. Honda has apparently FINALLY figured out (after only 5 years) why the windows make all kinds of noises when rolled up all the way but reduce or stop when rolled down just a hair. It has to do with the door weatherstripping moving against the door, and they spell out a fix in Servicenews. If you're still under warranty, take it in! If not, the procedure isn't that hard, you just need some Shin-Etsu grease and "squeak-reducing tape."

Oh heck, I'll just put the address here:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/a080200.PDF

for the Acura version, change the "a" to "b" in the filename.

Have at it!
Is there any way to subscribe to the ServiceNews Article? This would be nice to get on a monthly basis (or however often it is published).

#66 ·
Get a tube of Shin Etsu white grease either online, or from your local Honda dealer. Get some grease on a clean rag and apply liberality to all the rubber seals around your door, especially the top ones. Get it in all the groves, etc. Then wipe the excess off. Repeat every six months, or when the noise returns.

The bulletin was basically the same except they apply the grease to a pipe cleaner and work in the insides of the seals. Then they apply 3M anti-squeak tape to the door jamb metal where the rubber contacts it. Overkill. You can address it by using my instructions above.

#67 ·
The Shin Etsu grease was a godsend for my 03 and 06 Accords. Worked great. A little bit goes a long way. Just be careful when washing the car to use a separate towel or chammy when drying the door jambs. And residiual grease will build up on it.

#72 ·
I bought the shin-etsu grease online from a Honda dealership in AZ, received it in the mail today. Put it all over my drivers side rubber weatherstripping, also in the channel where the window goes into the top of the door frame, and along the top 1/2 inch of the top of the window as well. But am still hearing the very annoying "creaking/squeaking" sound coming from the top of that window while driving around today with the window rolled all the way up in this cold weather.....dammit!!! :headbash::headbash::headbash:

#73 ·
From your description it sounds like you did it all. If not you really need to do all the rubber on your door, glass and surrounding areas. Probably the same thing Aviography is saying. When I did all of it my car (and my wife's) it worked. I got lazy the last time and only did the weatherstripping around the glass, and it didn't work. To repeat - all the weatherstripping related to your door and glass areas should be done if you want to be sure to quiet things down. I've done it now 3 - 4 times (it lasts for about 1 year) on two cars and if done completely it has worked perfectly for me. I also believe (just guessing) that if you wax you door jambs (is that a word?) you actually make it worse.

#74 ·
Door window rubber seal:

Pealed out/back the rubber seal and wiped the inner race of the seal excluding the (rubber) track that the window rides on.
I have OEM door visors, do you think it is ok to pull the window rubber seal and apply the grease? Will that damage the door visor clips? Thanks :)

#75 ·
I don't know if pulling the seals will damage your clips. But generally you don't have to pull out the seals to apply the grease. Leave them where they are and grease all the window and door seals.

#76 ·
Greasing the entire rubber seals on my door/window with shin-etsu grease finally did work, thank you for the advice!!!

Now onto the next annoying rattle in the car! Does anyone have a rattle in the rear seat passenger side column? I have had it ever since buying the car in April '10, have tried prying the panels off a bit and sticking my hand in there feeling around blindly while banging on the column with the other hand to simulate hitting bumps while driving which creates the rattle. But still haven't found the source.

#89 ·
I had to reply to this....

So my first post is to answer a year old question on a different posted topic. Please don't ban me for trying to help!

This problem drove me CRAZY. To fix it I:
Put the seats down, removed the plastic top, pull back the carpet on the left to get to the metal, and try to reproduce the noise. Grabbing the huge metal brace and pushing it fairly hard will make the rattle. I SHOVED some thin plastic/rubber material (an old plastic cover/holder for an old car manual I had lying around) in the back of the bracket. The noise is gone. Hope this is helpeful, and not a repost of something else.

#77 ·
rattles

i have a 2005 ex-l and also have this window rattle - maddening.

i live in az and it's been crazy cold for the past little bit.

can someone please pdf or link directly to the TSB so i can take it to dealer? i dont have a honda dealer ID so i cannot login to the website etc.

These rattles are killin me.. goes away when i just crack window. driver and passenger front both do it.

#78 ·
i have a 2005 ex-l and also have this window rattle - maddening.

i live in az and it's been crazy cold for the past little bit.

can someone please pdf or link directly to the TSB so i can take it to dealer? i dont have a honda dealer ID so i cannot login to the website etc.

These rattles are killin me.. goes away when i just crack window. driver and passenger front both do it.
Do you have an extended warranty for your vehicle? If not, then you might as well try some of the suggestions in this thread as the dealer won't likely fix it for you for free.

#79 ·
Also, if you want to look up TSBs, you can do it for your specific vehicle using Edmunds' website. It doesn't have the PDFs, but it does list the TSB IDs. I couldn't find the one for the window rattle, but maybe you'd have better luck.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html

#80 ·
Negative on the warranty, but I figure it's worth a shot to call a few local dealers. Since this seems to be a very common problem (even on 09 and 10 from what I'm seeing) I'm sure they are well aware of it.

I suppose I could buy the shin-etsu and the small roll of 3M anti-squeak and perform this on my own.

I want to get a darker tint done on the vehicle. I was planning on having dealer do the tint and then applying the "anti-rattle via shin etsu and 3M tape" fix after the tint was applied.

I will check Edmunds. Thanks a ton!

#82 ·
This is just the rubber seals that are only visible when door is open, correct? I noticed there are several small evenly spaced holes all along this weather stripping.

Should I lube in there, too? I guess I will buy some Shin-Etsu and lube the bejeezus out of the weather stripping.

Rattles are the worst thing in the world.

#91 ·
Folks, I originally lost the link to the ServiceNews Article on this issue. But I came across a printed one from a few years ago. I've scanned it and hosted it below:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DDF5FD179F93BBA1!105&authkey=!AFoPu9ACy9N_2rU

You do not have to go crazy with the Squeak Reduction Tape or applying it through the seal holes with pipe cleaners. Just get some Shin-Etsu and apply it to the outside of all the seals every 6-9 months and you should be good. This not only applies to Accords, but Odysseys and Pilots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.