Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

CD Changer/player Not working????

48K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Jonathan 70559 
#1 ·
My cd player/changer is not working in my 08 accord coupe V6. I went to play a cd today and it just keeps try to switch to the cd i pressed. It does that for like 5min and then mag error shows on the screen??? and it wont eject any of the CD'S either. iI have to go to honda!!!!! oo and i don't have navi....just thought i would share the info maybe there is a way i could fix it myself i don't think so but can u blame me for trying lol....

#4 ·
I had this happen and it never worked it's way out. I had to have dealership warranty replace the entire disc unit and send the unit back to Alpine to get my disc's back. Still haven't seen them and it's been months!

#7 ·
i use mp3 cd's when i forget my ipod.

#11 ·
my cd changer is busted too i was wondering why its taking a while to get my changer in. it shows "mech error" prob broke when i was installing my dvd player in the lower pocket. mine fixed itself but still breaks down once in a while. id have it looked at.... dont get caught with a broken cd player after warranty! GL!

#15 ·
Your best bet is to find a replacement unit on eBay. The CD Changer mechanism from Honda is $482, or $1,273 to replace the entire head unit. The in-dash CD stackers fail quite often.

Another option is to get the External 8-CD Changer, which uses a Magazine instead. Those are more reliable than the stacker changers. I am curious as to why they think CD-R's cause problems. I can understand the obvious: if people use stick-on labels and they begin to peel off, it will jam the mechanism. But how would a CD-R with no label cause problems?

My current Nav head unit gives a CD Error on insert. When you turn off the car and start it up again, you hear the CD load properly, then it plays fine. I don't dare try to insert more than one CD.

#13 ·
Interesting that it fixed itself. I've never had a problem with the CD changer, but on two different occasions now my XM has gone crazy. I'll be listening to something and suddenly there is a burst of static, then it alternates static/silence for ever even though it still shows the station and program or song that is supposed to be playing. It's not a reception problem, as soon as I turned the car off and back on it "fixes" itself. However turning the radio on/off without turning the car off did nothing, so I guess the problem is bad enough that it requires a hard reboot.

#14 ·
im having the same damn problem in my I4 08 coupe...my boy's boy that works at honda said most of the time cd-r's mess up the cd player and it gives an error...but since now i have an aftermarket subs amps and speakers with a pac head unit piece my warranty is void for the cd player..ill have to live with my ipod for now and eventually get a new navi/cd player package to put in the car..ahhh :mad:

#16 ·
Fortunately I've never had problems with CD changers, but I'm extra careful with them: never a label on a CD, always let them FULLY cycle (for load and eject) before touching any keys, and always turn the unit OFF before turning ignition off. This last step is important since the starter cuts current to the stereo, so if you have it on, the second it takes from ignition on to starter, the CD will start loading internally, then interrupted by the starter and then on again a second later. Maybe nothing happens, but why risk it? Just something to keep in mind folks.

#17 ·
Cd Fix

This happened to me (08 EX-L Sedan), CD would not come out or play. Then one day a week or so later the disc ejected itself out. I combed over the manual and found that some cd's( RW or RW-DVD, not sure witch) are not recommended. This was the cd my wife made. I don't use that cd and have not had any problems.

#18 ·
I got this "mech error" and now I can't play or eject CDs. Hope it fixed itself.

#19 ·
I've had the same problem. I brought mine to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty. I have to wait around 2 months to get my cd's back though...it's been like 6 weeks so far.

#20 ·
my cd changer jus broke today lol...MECH ERROR...guess i'll be taking a trip to my dealer...& kiss the cds away.

#21 ·
My CD changer "fixed" itself the day after. I just pushed the eject button several times and voila! the CD ejected and everthing was back to normal. So, try waiting a day or two then push the eject button several times before taking your car to the dealership.

#22 ·
This is really annoying and puzzling. I got this "mech error" message again the other day and now it's been 3 days and the problem didn't go away like 3 other times before. Previously, the problem somehow magically disappeared after a day or two so I didn't bother taking it to the dealership. But this time, it looks like I have to get it fixed. :headbash::headbash::headbash:

#24 ·
I used to spend $$$ on audio when I was much younger. Now I don't have that urge any more. The stock is fine as long as it works. Guess I need to make a trip to the dealership soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.