Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2006 Accord with rebuilt title

13K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  stiller fan 
#1 ·
Hey, i am new to this forum and I needed some help from you guys. I am looking to purchase a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with a rebuilt title. I have talked to the owner and he stated that the car has been inspected by the secretary of state of Illinois (where i live) and he has all documents of the repair work done, he has also sent me pictures of the car before repair:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&th=12db92646ce7ace8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&th=12db92646ce7ace8&attid=0.3&disp=inline&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&th=12db92646ce7ace8&attid=0.4&disp=inline&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&th=12db92646ce7ace8&attid=0.2&disp=inline&zw

as you can see from the pics the damage is not that great, as i am getting a great deal for the car. Now my question is is there anything i should be worried about when getting this car, would the car have to be inspected once again when i try to register the vehicle under my name? Also do you think it would be worth getting a car with a rebuilt title, do you think i would run into any troubles down the road with the car? thanks for any help in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't see your pictures, but buying a salvage title vehicle is a risk. Some insurers will not insure them. Some banks won't loan money on them. If you are paying any more than about 70% of LOAN value, you are paying way too much.

I've been a car buyer for many years. It's what I do for a living.

#21 ·
Not worth it, I got my 06 accord with 45k on it with salvage total had to replace bumper and wheels/tires cost me all together with paper work around 6500... Not worth it for 9k.
And rebuilt salvage titles are not bad cars if you know the person that did the work on them, it's the same as an insurance company taking your car and repairing it for you. Just the person bought it from an insurance company, fixed it and is trying to make some money.
Too high price don't buy.

#6 ·
Here are some things to think about:
- a car that has had to undergo such massive surgery that it requires a "rebuilt" or salvage title will never be factory perfect. You can anticipate problems, depending on what was actually done (and by who). Cars that have had this much damage always have problems down the road.
- your resale value is going to be way lower than a non-rebuilt car and there are people who will pass it by no matter how cheap you want to sell it for. I assume the deal is very good, but with that deal comes the inevitable consequence that when you go to resell it, you will also have to price it at an incredible deal - and be forthcoming as to the history of the car

If it were me, I'd walk away and keep looking. Cars with this much damage can be hella cheap, but can also come with a host of constant problems. Think hard - this could be a huge mistake.

#7 ·
Price is too high for a rebuilt title.
Walk.

#9 ·
:yes: Tell him "YOUR PRICE IS TOO HIGH FOR A SALVAGE TITLE" I guarantee you he won't put up a fight. This car is not worth a fuss over price anyway. If seller goes way down south on the $, it could be worth it.

#8 ·
Loan value on that car is not over 10,000. Anything over about 7000 is too much money if you ask me. Salvage titles affect everything. No matter how much BS this guy gives you, it is still a rebuilt salvage vehicle and will be branded on the title as such for life.

#11 ·
I appreciate all your guys opinion and i believe i will walk away from this car, even prior to posting this thread i had offered him 7500 for the car and he said no way even after explaining to him that a salvaged title loses almost 40% of this value and his car is worth no where near the original 10500 he was asking.

#13 ·
I tend to agree. Price is just too high.

Just because a vehicle has a rebuilt title doesn't automatically mean it is a POS.

I've seen vehicles totaled by insurance companies that had very little physical damage. It has NOTHING to do with the type of damage a car sustains. It has everything to do with how much it is going to cost to repair the car versus the amount of money the car is worth - plus you have to add in the amount of money the insurance company is going to be out for a rental car while yours is being fixed.

It's simply a money formula. Once the cost to repair reaches a certain percentage (varies by insurance company) they pronounce the car a "total".

#16 ·
If you get into a wreck later, the insurance is only going to want to pay you 55% of market value. Went thru this with my Insurance on my old GS-R. Will never buy a salvage title again.

#17 ·
1. that price is crazy even with new tires.
2. the resale value after fixing is only around the asking price.
3. somewhere under that wreck is frame damage..

You are looking at about 1500 for a new front end, 300 on a fender, 500 on paint, 50 new headlights, 40 new headlight bracket, ??? frame damage, 100 alignment, ??? anything pertaining to the alignment, and other misc. stuff and labor (DIY or shop).

if it was a clean title and asking somewhere for $8k, I may consider.. but this condition, title, and price, I would walk away..just my opinion.

#19 ·
The side impact to the engine compartment is significant on the driver side. The engine compartment has been compromised. That is why the car was totaled. WALK AWAY from that vehicle. He probably had it repaired for CHEAP so it it can pass an inspection for a salvage title, and now he is trying to get top dollar for a rebuilt wreck. You would be a fool if you bought that car.

#20 ·
Never Never buy a car in accident, read my struggle with one such car and thanks for all those in this community who chipped in to help me get it right. But I got rid of that car and brought a used gem like Accord and been very happy with my purchase.

#23 ·
Any damaged car can be fixed perfectly, but it's VERY hard and expensive to do, and consequently very hard to find a good shop that will do it. It's possible, but just.

#24 ·
I agree.

A "totaled" vehicle just means that the repairs exceed a set amount the insurance company wants to pay to fix it. On an older car, this can mean very little actual damage has been sustained. Body shops fix wrecked cars all day long. A totaled vehicle can be repaired just as well as any other vehicle if it's done right.

PROBLEM IS... most "rebuilders" fix totals using the cheapest parts and cheesy shortcuts that end up making the car a POS.

#27 ·
Just keep looking, it will be less of a headache

#29 ·
:worthless:

start a new thread if you post pics, to avoid confusion..... :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.