Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Leather Seats Hot in Summer Issue

12K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  GTFan712 
#1 ·
I notice once the tempatures head north of 80, my black leather seats become extremely warm to sit in. I am one who like to have my windows down and sun roof open, however it does not take long for my backside to over heat.

Yes, I know I can turn on the AC. I traded in a G35 Coupe w/leather seats and do not remember having the same issue. Just wondering if any other owners are experiencing this and might be able to offer any tips for a cooler ride.:cool:

Thanks,

#4 ·
This is my first car with black leather seats, and yes, they definitely get hotter than lighter colors, especially under direct sunlight. Besides tinted windows and sun shield, you have to get creative when parking (different spot, reverse, etc), to avoid the sun hitting the driver's seat. Fortunately, even at my office, my car is garaged, so not a real problem. Unfortunately, I just didn't warm up to the beige interior. White with gray interior would have been perfect for me, but no such combo. Heck, I'd have chosen the white/black next. Good day.

#5 ·
I have an ivory leather interior. During the summer months, I keep a reasonably large towel covering the driver's seat bottom, not only to keep the leather cool, but also to keep body oils from coming into contact with the leather itself (I usually wear shorts). I sit on top of an orthopedic back cushion to prop me higher than the highest setting on the power driver's seat, so the cushion keeps the towel in place.

If the seat towel gets sandy after a day at the beach, I can carefully remove the towel when I get home (even washing it). The sand particles thus do not even touch the leather.

The leather on my driver's seat is a little over 5 years old, but still looks new!

#10 ·
Use the auto window control when you unlock the door, a little while before you get in.

#11 ·
Big reason why I got the EX coupe with cloth seats, especially here in Vegas. It gets scorchin'!

#13 ·
I'm from Indy too. As others have said, lower windows before getting in, use a sun visor, etc. There's not a whole lot that can be done. Leather just gets hot.

#17 ·
I have a TW EXL 2008 coupe. I don't have the black leather which helps I guess. My windows are also tinted. I did get a towel from the dealer that fits around the head rest to help keep it in place. They don't have seat covers because of the air bags. It helps in the heat and cold even with heated seats. I like to use it after I work out so I don't sweat on the seats. I purchased the car in Fort Worth Texas and now live in Buffalo New York thanks to the military! So I have been in both hot and cold with the car.

#18 ·
It isn't really a problem for me. I do use the auto windows to release some of the heat trapped inside.

-GT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.