Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

cvt transmission oil change

11K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  runtohell121 
#1 ·
It looks like factory recommended to change the CVT transmission oil every 60,000 miles? Does that seem high? What are others recommended? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I remember someone said 20k-25k is when you're suppose to change it.

#3 ·
Replace at 25,000 miles under certain conditions

*4: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km).

#4 ·
Honda's are notorious in having transmission problems. Most people had good success with the 3-drain at 30k in the previous autos. I did 1-drain every 10k. I would recommend to do the 1-drain at 20k like others have mentioned, until we know more about the reliability of the cvt.

#6 ·
The sixth generation V6 Accord had a major flaw in the automatic transmission. My 2000 Accord Coupe's transmission developed the problem at 93,000 miles. Honda had an extended warrantee on these transmissions until ten years or 100,000 miles. My car was two months over the ten years but the dealer replaced the transmission for free and also paid for a rental car.

In the past Honda USA is very good about acknowledging a problem with their products and offering extended warrantee coverage when there is an issue.

I have no trepidation about buying an Accord with a CVT transmission and servicing it according to the owners manual because it's a Honda and not a Chevy.

#7 ·
i have no trepidation about buying an accord with a cvt transmission and servicing it according to the owners manual because it's a honda and not a chevy.
+100

#12 ·
If it makes you feel better to change the fluid every 15,000 miles, then just change it. The last time I had the dealer change the transmission fluid on my 2000 Accord it was about $80. I would certainly have the dealer change the fluid so that Honda has a record of the service being preformed in the event that you need them to help defer your costs if the transmission does go bad after the warrantee period has expired.

#9 ·
I've been full throttling here and there after 5k miles. In S mode. And paddle shifting. Basically hard on the engine and trans an average owner wouldn't do. I trust Honda engine and trans can take the "abuse".

Checked the CVT oil the other day and it was clear. But it did have a smell that's is unbearable to me.

#10 ·
I'm at about 12K miles and I find myself constantly thrashing my car. Letting the S mode shift at redline and just lots of high RPM driving and shock to the tranny. 3500 RPM brake launches, etc.

I'm hoping it holds up. If not, then warranty.

#19 ·
Its odd cause I assumed you didn't need to change CVT fluid. I have no problem doing it when its recommended but coming from a 07 Murano I was use to it not being an issue. Actully the CVT was a selling point for me on the Honda. I'm so use to not feeling shift points that when I do (other cars I test drove) it feels odd.

So far the CVT in the Honda is a bit different but I love it. I have 200,000 miles on the Murano with no CVT or engine problems. I was going to go with a Altima but liked the Accord better. Hopefully Honda will surpass the still chugging along Murano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.