CVT problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

CVT problems

Accord Sport, 15K miles. Started hearing a whirring sound last week accompanied by a slight lurching upon accelleration so I took it to the dealer today.

They drained the trans fluid and showed it to me. Black and Burnt! WTF???!!!

Said all he can do is flush and refill twice and see what happens down the road. Insinuated that I had abused the car in some way. (Blood starting to boil)

Then says this falls under maintenance and will not be covered under warranty; so this comes out of my pocket.

I'm so pissed at Honda right now I can't see straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

That is not maintenance and should fall under warranty. I no way should your transmission fluid be changed after 15,000 miles. I hope that you refused to pay...

If not, open a complaint with Honda.

Previous Car:
2004 Mazda 6s
2004 Lincoln LS V8
Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Cruisin Iowa...

Wow, that is wrong.
I am not sold on the CVT, it is an odd feeling at times. It is a bit jerky too. ESPECIALLY with the Econ button on. I hate the Econ mode.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:07 PM
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmz43 View Post
That is not maintenance and should fall under warranty.
Changing the trans fluid is maintenance. It's no different than changing the engine oil.

Looks like Honda may have some CVT failures down the road. If I was buying a 9th gen Accord, it'd be either a 6MT or the V6 with a regular trans. I wouldn't want to be a Honda CVT guinea pig.

OP or someone with around 10,000 miles should do a trans fluid change and send a sample in for oil analysis to see how the fluid is holding up.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah I'm hoping now it goes ahead and blows up so I can get it replaced and sell this thing. Should have bought the 6MT.

The thing that is painfully obvious to me is that burnt trans fluid is a SYMPTOM of something wrong with the trans and the service mgr. wouldn't admit that!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear

what maintenance?? are you supposed to change trans fluid at 15k or sooner??

i would ask a dealer put everything they say in writing, and sign it. than send that paper to honda hq, customer relation dept. and if they refuse still, take them to small claims court. but you will have to pay to fix it first for small claims.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Changing the trans fluid is maintenance. It's no different than changing the engine oil.
How is changing the trans fluid at 15K maintenance???

Changing the trans fluid at its prescribed intervals is maintenance.

Previous Car:
2004 Mazda 6s
2004 Lincoln LS V8
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
6th Gear

O_O ..... What color is new CVT fluid?

Do you feel any difference with new fluids? No more jerk when going to complete stop?
5K 35W TRS HID
Roof Spoiler
5% Tint, 50% Windshield
Takeda SRI
H&R Springs
Single to Dual Magnaflows, Axle-Back:
(http://is.gd/bUWU3u)
V6 Headlight (LED DRL Strip):
(http://is.gd/rPAhkD)
http://is.gd/HjICGH
Gentex Auto-Dimming w/ Homelink (DIY):
(http://is.gd/PkmVQi)
Cabin Air Filter (DIY):
(http://is.gd/puEITN)
Viper Remote Start for Push-To-Start (DIY)
(http://is.gd/qY8rAY)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmz43 View Post
How is changing the trans fluid at 15K maintenance???

Changing the trans fluid at its prescribed intervals is maintenance.
Changing fluids is maintenance, regardless of the interval used. It's up to the owner when s/he wants to change them... whether it's following the maintenance minder or not.

The same goes with changing spark plugs, engine oil, coolant, cabin/engine filter, rotating tires, etc. These items all fall under maintenance.

Did the OP have to change the trans fluid? No. But if the OP wanted to, it's out of your own pocket... unless the dealer's nice enough to goodwill the service. It could've been something the OP could have asked for.

Many 7th gen owners (especially V6 auto owners) and some 8th gen owners change the trans fluid a lot sooner than what the manual has listed. Some do it every oil change, some do it every other oil change, some do it every 15K or 20K miles. Why? As preventative maintenance against trans failure.

7th gen V6 auto Accords (particularly the 03-05 years) were notorious for trans failures. The same goes for the 6th gen V6 Accord, 2nd gen Acura TL's and CL's, 3rd gen Acura TL's, 1st gen Acura MDX, 2nd gen Honda Odyssey's,..... I wouldn't be surprised if the 9th gen CVT was added to that list.

Since we choose to change it sooner, does that mean we should expect Honda to cover it under warranty?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
O_O ..... What color is new CVT fluid?

Do you feel any difference with new fluids? No more jerk when going to complete stop?
Light amber color. It acted fine on the short drive home but I'll be watching it closely. Couldn't hear the transmission whine but it was raining...
Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Changing fluids is maintenance, regardless of the interval used. It's up to the owner when s/he wants to change them... whether it's following the maintenance minder or not.

The same goes with changing spark plugs, engine oil, coolant, cabin/engine filter, rotating tires, etc. These items all fall under maintenance.

Did the OP have to change the trans fluid? No. But if the OP wanted to, it's out of your own pocket... unless the dealer's nice enough to goodwill the service. It could've been something the OP could have asked for.

Many 7th gen owners (especially V6 auto owners) and some 8th gen owners change the trans fluid a lot sooner than what the manual has listed. Some do it every oil change, some do it every other oil change, some do it every 15K or 20K miles. Why? As preventative maintenance against trans failure.

7th gen V6 auto Accords (particularly the 03-05 years) were notorious for trans failures. The same goes for the 6th gen V6 Accord, 2nd gen Acura TL's and CL's, 3rd gen Acura TL's, 1st gen Acura MDX, 2nd gen Honda Odyssey's,..... I wouldn't be surprised if the 9th gen CVT was added to that list.

Since we choose to change it sooner, does that mean we should expect Honda to cover it under warranty?

But on the other hand if we do follow the maintenance schedule and the transmission fails are they then going to say that because we did not change the transmission fluid despite it not being called for by the maintenance minder or the schedule that they are now going to decline coverage of the failed transmission? Seems to me that Honda wants to have it both ways. They diagnose a problem with the transmission as bad fluid and then say changing it is a maintenance issue. That is fine but if I at that point decline to change it and the transmission fails I can only assume they will then tell me that the transmission repair is not covered either. So we are supposed to follow the service interval to maintain warranty coverage except when we aren't. Sorry Honda but you simply cannot have it both ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chada For This Useful Post:
stiller fan (08-29-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:

Looks like Honda may have some CVT failures down the road. If I was buying a 9th gen Accord, it'd be either a 6MT or the V6 with a regular trans. I wouldn't want to be a Honda CVT guinea pig.

OP or someone with around 10,000 miles should do a trans fluid change and send a sample in for oil analysis to see how the fluid is holding up.
Exactly why I bought the V6. It was not so much the power but its nice, but to avoid the CVT. My friend inspects vehicles for a living for warranty claims and he told me no cvt no matter what and I listened to him. In fact HondaCare is one of his biggest customers.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

I drove a Maxima last year and thought is was a nice car, but CVT, I told them it will be a cold day in h___ before I get a CVT, same goes for Honda, and they tell you it's maintenance? The service manager needs a serious talking to, if this is Honda's policy I may have bought my last Honda, I can hardly believe that is corporate policy. That is really really bad.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 PM
4th Gear

Sorry to hear about the issue with your cvt buff1. Maybe I should go MT if I go with the Accord. Not sure if the new hybrid non plugin will have DCT.

Report the incident to Honda.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM
5th Gear

I'm almost at 22,000 miles on my CVT sport and will be performing a CVT fluid change at 25k miles recommended in the owners manual. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...3/2A1313OM.pdf Page 491 if anybody is interested.

When it comes to maintenance, I change my oil every 7,500 miles religiously (roughly 20-30% oil life) and keep every service record of my Accord. In case anything happens warranty wise I have records showing proper maintenance was taken and that it's not my fault but manufacturing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.