Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Cintocrunch's Build Thread

27K views 103 replies 35 participants last post by  NightFire 
#1 ·
Figured I'd make a little mini build thread as I go to track my mods...I'll start with the background info: I had a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport and drive 75-100 miles/day and am looking to buy a house with my wife and newborn, so the truck had to go and I needed a car that I would own outright and get good mileage...I was looking at Legacy GT's (don't care too much for boxer engines but was interested in a turbo), TL's and V6 6spd Accords. I couldn't find any that I was happy with in that price range when I came upon my I4 5MT and after the test drive I was very please with how much lighter on its feet it felt than a V6 6MT or any of the others, the car was CLEAN and the price was right.

2006 Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT in Alabaster Silver Metallic with Black Leather bought with 87,000 miles on the clock.

Mods Completed:
-20% tint all around.
-BT35-HON installed.
-Sony 6.5" and Sound Ordnance 6x9 speakers installed.

Future Mods:
-Remove rubber bumper pieces from wheel wells and door edges.
-Intake resonator delete.
-Debadge.
-Inspire fog lights install (in hand, need to install).
-HIR low beam bulb install.
-OEM lip spoiler install.
-Hybrid style taillight lense.
-100k plugs, belts, fluids, etc. maintenance.
-Pick up a set of Honda/Acura wheels in 17" or 18" if a good deal lands in my lap.
-Retrofit if I am brave enough and the wife approves me buying another set of stock headlights if I blow it.
-Detail, Maintain, Enjoy!

Tacoma I traded in:

Pics of the day I brought it home:

BT35-HON Install:

Sony 6.5" and Sound Ordnance 6x9 speaker install:

See less See more
#2 ·
Gunmetal A-Spec wheels and OEM lip spoiler added...

#3 ·
Nice!

#7 ·
Thanks.

I like it. That wheel gap is tremendous though, eh like my car.
Any plans on lowering it?
Nope. I admit it would look nicer a little lower but I deal with a steep/sharply crested driveway so I have no interest in lowering...

At least he could hide under the car if.. some scenario was presented where he needed to hide under it :D
I cant even stick my head under mine.
Or maybe this is why I won't lower it...

how do you like the bt-35 hon? Can you give a review on it. The reviews on amazon basically say its sh!t because of its weak bluetooth chip.
I have had no issues at all...never had connection issues and have had no functionality issues...

#8 ·
First oil change...

#14 ·
I already have to come at a severe angle... it's just not in the cards logically or financially (wife, kid and house take care of that)...

do you have android or iphone. On another thread they were saying iphones seem to work fine but androids had a problem
iPhone.

I like how this fella has good taste! Love the tacomas! My old man has an 06 4 door long box, great truck. And nice accord man. I'll be looking forward to be seeing your progress!
Thanks, I still daydream about the Tacoma, I had it almost exactly how I wanted it... I too started life with a '96 Accord... LX sedan, automatic, factory trunk spoiler, green with green interior...I tried for many years when I was young and could not kill that thing!

Nice! I was basically in the exact same situation as you, and looked at the exact same cars (plus an outback xt and forester xt) and ended up with the same car you did with another few miles on the odometer plus the rare and beautiful trunk spoiler..(smh)
I've also got a very similar list of mods planned so I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.
Thank you

#12 ·
I like how this fella has good taste! Love the tacomas! My old man has an 06 4 door long box, great truck. And nice accord man. I'll be looking forward to be seeing your progress!

#13 ·
Nice! I was basically in the exact same situation as you, and looked at the exact same cars (plus an outback xt and forester xt) and ended up with the same car you did with another few miles on the odometer plus the rare and beautiful trunk spoiler..(smh)
I've also got a very similar list of mods planned so I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.

#15 ·
Installed Hybrid or JDM Inspire taillights...

#16 ·
You should run the A pillar wire correctly. Remove the cover and zip tie it down with the other cables. These airbags are very precise. If there is something getting in its way during a crash, it might not perform as it should.

Look at this Kia below, the side curtain was blocked by the pillar cover and never got to fire. Don't ever get in a Kia :wave:

#17 ·
You should run the A pillar wire correctly. Remove the cover and zip tie it down with the other cables. These airbags are very precise. If there is something getting in its way during a crash, it might not perform as it should.

Look at this Kia below, the side curtain was blocked by the pillar cover and never got to fire. Don't ever get in a Kia :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHYl9D5CTI
Its tucked in 1/4" from the gap, just out of sight. It never goes farther down the A-pillar than the roof panel...definitely not in a position to interfere with the airbag...I definitely appreciate the concern and urge other Owner's to be mindful of these sort of things, it cannot be repeated enough.

#19 ·
Winter setup:

Went over 100,000 miles. I actually pulled onto the shoulder of a 55 mph road to safely take this picture.

And Inspire fog lights install. I used the wire harness supplied with the fog lights and spliced the "turn on" wire into the low beam positive. I haven't turned a set of fog lights off in years so this was my preferred install. I finished at 3 AM, gotta love late night car projects...

#23 ·
How many times do I have to tell you, COME TO BALTIMORE. And build me a TL retro...hell, I'll settle for a TSX retro...

100K, nice. At the rate I've been driving, I'm wondering when I'm ever gonna see that number again, haha.

Need some daytime shots of the Inspire fogs!
I'm working on it, I'm sleeping all day but I'll find the time to snap one...Part of my problem is I didn't get a chance to wash the car before I did it so the bumper looks so splotchy from salty/non-salty areas...

Very nice, car is looking great. My friend did the exact opposite of you. He had an 05 Accord 6-6 coupe, and traded it in for a 12 Tacoma TRD Sport
Damn him. I LOVED that Tacoma...But that money being freed up allowed me to get a house with a 2 car garage and a little bit more property for my chilluns to run around...worthy trade.

#22 ·
Very nice, car is looking great. My friend did the exact opposite of you. He had an 05 Accord 6-6 coupe, and traded it in for a 12 Tacoma TRD Sport

Attachments

#24 ·
Very nice car :thmsup:!

#25 ·
Gotta admit - I'm jealous of the tail lights ... Did you really have to go through 3 sets to get a pair that fit proper ?

#30 ·
Ok, did a first time project for me: Mini H1 Retrofit.

Parts list:

-Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 Projectors
-Morimoto XB35 5000k Bulbs
-Morimoto Three5 Ballasts
-TRS 9006 Harness
-Mini Graphite Shrouds
-New Butyl Sealant

Both headlights apart. I did 235 F for 15 minutes and they came apart like butter.

After dremelling. The 6.0 MH1 has a shorter threaded shaft that required shaving the thickness of the bulb holder instead of just removing the tabs as before.

Ready for first test fit!

Initial aim. Only had to rotate the projectors a degree or two to get them perfectly level.

After aiming is complete.

Closer picture so the colors at the cutoff are more visible. Some nice blues and purples.

Headlights after being resealed. I again used 235 F for 15 minutes to soften the OEM sealant and the new sealant enough to work the lens through both layers.

Completion photos! Of note, when I used Goof Off to remove the Butyl sealant residue it accelerated the oxidation of the lenses, creating a terrible fog over the turn signals. I need to restore the lenses much sooner than anticipated now.

Here's a reference before and after cutoff shot:

And while I was working on this I received a couple deliveries:

#32 ·
#34 ·
I wish but I have trouble not scraping my driveway as it is. High curb on the end of a court where everybody parks head-in so I can't approach at an angle. The 18's do look a little funky with that much air between them and the body.

Out of curiosity, what bulb type are you running in your fogs ?

*EDIT - just read the answer in the "today" thread ...
I'll repeat, they are Nokya's. I ran them in both Pathfinders and didn't have a blown bulb in 4 years and I like that they aren't quite as yellow as other bulbs. It's a little more subtle but stands out nicely with a whiter headlight bulb.

That came out really good. High quality, and looks really nice. Should def improve nighttime driving for you. What kind of tires did you get?
Thanks man, I definitely took my time and tried to do everything right. I have just a little rotation but it's pretty small and it flares up on the PS so I'm not at risk of blinding oncoming drivers.

I got Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position in 235/40R18. This is the size that are on the A-spec wheels and I know fit with no issues and it's close to stock overall diameter. They are #2 in max performance summer tires (behind Michelins) and are currently on sale. I was all set to buy BFG Sport Comp 2's but these ended up the same price and are a step up on the summer tire food chain. Either is overkill for my car but they dramatically change the personality of this car.

#33 ·
That came out really good. High quality, and looks really nice. Should def improve nighttime driving for you. What kind of tires did you get?

#39 ·
Much respect to a beautiful car. Looks better than an Inspire and has gorgeous flowing lines. Mods are pieced together in a tight, classy way I'm a big fan of the deck lid on the sedan.

#42 ·
That's going to be tough. New, I've seen around $1700. If you're willing to do some fabrication, you can save a couple hundred.

#43 ·
My thought is to get rid of the curb and create a much gentler ramp into the driveway (no HOA and one of the neighbors has it and it looks like a dream compared to scraping bumpers). After that I'll see what's available and price points and go from there. I have to invest in the camber correcting control arms because I need my alignment to be in spec (drive way to many miles to burn through tires). I'd prefer something with adjustability (my spell check is telling me that isn't a real word? Maybe I'm dumb) so I can raise the car to stock height in the winter and lower during the summer.

#44 ·
The drastic change between driveway and street is something I would look into. Nobody likes speed bumps. As for your adjustability (I get the squiggly lines for that word too. Webster is slipping up with his dictionary), I'd look into the ingalls/ j-power arms. Set your alignment for drive height and call it good. Airing down and airing up won't alter your alignment so long as you get to your drive height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.