Back seat folds down - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
6 Forward, 1 Reverse

So the sedan owners are complaining that they don't have 60/40. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing from coupe owners complaining about not having the center armrest and pass-through. Then there are the CL/TL owners who'll be upset because they have neither. Sheesh ... Just can't please anyone. The grass is always greener somewhere else...

I, for one, like the center armrest in the sedan. It gives the car a classier and more elegant look, which is partially why we chose the Accord in the first place. I liked having the 60/40 split in our previous coupe, but I don't miss it much. If I need to carry cargo, I'll go get a CRV or Pilot, or borrow a friend's truck.

You just have to choose what works best for you, but keep in mind that whatever you drive, it'll be a compromise in some way ... except for the V6/6MT, of course -- good power AND decent fuel economy.
Mods: Enkei ZR2 18x7.5 ET42, Falken FK452 225/45/18, Tint (15% Rear, 30% Rear Doors), Pioneer ND-BC1 Back-Up Camera (plugged into Navi), Custom Navi Splash Screen, LED Interior Footwell Lighting (via Ignition Key Light)

Previous Cars: 2000 Accord Coupe EX V6 4AT, 1992 Integra GS-R 5MT, 1990 Integra GS 5MT, 1986 Integra LS 5MT, and a couple of 1972 Mazda RX-2's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VTECV6AT
Se La Vie, that's just the way it goes, THAT'S LIFE!
I think you mean c'est la vie

haha

Mods:
AUX Input | Heated Seats
Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
I used to have the CD player in my Accord before I went Aftermarket, our previous TSX, and 03 Accord played CD-R's fine.

Make sure you're burning a music CD and not an MP3 CD.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Used to Drive a Hummer H2

This is a good question - if anything, this could have created a point of parts sharing between the coupe and sedan: Design a split fold seat with armrest and use it in both sedan and coupe.

Wouldn't doing the above save Honda some money?

'05 Hummer Accord EX-L 4cyl/auto Navi

The legendary 20 MPG and Below-er

'07 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Navi/Bluetooth/VSC/Smartkey Sky Blue / Ash
Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
my other car is a truck

Send a message via MSN to 07ACC4DREXL-V6 Send a message via Yahoo to 07ACC4DREXL-V6
I believe the single folding back has to do with structural rigidity in the sedan
Old 03-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-ster
This is a good question - if anything, this could have created a point of parts sharing between the coupe and sedan: Design a split fold seat with armrest and use it in both sedan and coupe.

Wouldn't doing the above save Honda some money?
It's easy to do but I don't think that's the point. If you're going skiing with 3 friends, it's nice to have a skinny little passthrough and still be able to seat 4 full size people. Compare to Toyota's approach, you want to fit four people and skis, you need to fold down 40% of the seat and cram 2 people on the rest.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiBoy650
It's easy to do but I don't think that's the point. If you're going skiing with 3 friends, it's nice to have a skinny little passthrough and still be able to seat 4 full size people. Compare to Toyota's approach, you want to fit four people and skis, you need to fold down 40% of the seat and cram 2 people on the rest.
There's no reason that Honda has to remove the armrest/passthrough assembly to split the sedan's bench 60/40... but you never know, they might pull a 'yota move with that.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

I think the seat would be too weak with both...at least that's how it feels to me.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I think the seat would be too weak with both...at least that's how it feels to me.
The plastic passtrough door and its frame is made from a thick plastic. That along with an inch of carpeted seatback-back on the border of the split, should be plenty rigid

Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-ster
The plastic passtrough door and its frame is made from a thick plastic. That along with an inch of carpeted seatback-back on the border of the split, should be plenty rigid
I know what it's made of, you're not the only one with both a Camry and an Accord in your garage :P Might be a problem in rear end collisions?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:39 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Quote:
I know what it's made of, you're not the only one with both a Camry and an Accord in your garage :P Might be a problem in rear end collisions?
....especially if you have stuff in your trunk. Having a ski passthrough and 60/40 folding seats would mean the frame for the seat back has to be really strong or the passthrough cover has to lock into the frame (not over). You don't see too many MFG's offering that on their cars.

Honda started having the full fold down seats in the Accord Sedans since the 6th gen, I believe.. And like 07ACC4DREXL-V6 mentioned in his post above, it has something to do with adding structural rigidity to the car.

Just be glad your seat actually folds down! Accord Hybrid, Subaru Legacy, 3rd gen Acura TL owners, etc have a fixed seat!
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
James.uk

This is a clever rear seat idea. The folded bit seen hanging behind the top rear of the seat can be unhooked and clipped to the back of the seat to allow the seat/seats to fold forward in required.. Or as shown in the pic, it simply extends to make the boot cover longer.

I have this seating arrangement in my ZX and have found it usefull dozens of times, I love it.

Hmmm ... now I have to try to attache a pic again. (I did it to show my 'new' ZX on that thread) so here goes ....
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6
Just be glad your seat actually folds down! Accord Hybrid, Subaru Legacy, 3rd gen Acura TL owners, etc have a fixed seat!
All Camry SE, and XLE's with reclining rear seats, don't fold either I don't think. Neither does the Corolla XRS
Old 03-03-2007, 10:21 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMV6
Honda started having the full fold down seats in the Accord Sedans since the 6th gen, I believe.. And like 07ACC4DREXL-V6 mentioned in his post above, it has something to do with adding structural rigidity to the car.
My '94 EX sedan has a full fold down rear seat too, so the 5th gen. has it too.

I agree with some of you, and I think not having a 60/40 in the sedan is the worst idea ever, regardless of the reasoning! Most sedan owners have a sedan b/c they carry multiple passengers, which would imply that they would need to haul stuff AND carry more than two people from time to time.

Hers: '07 Graphite/Ebony TSX Base, Auto
Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Our 3rd gen has a full fold down rear seat too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.