White smoke from engine - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

White smoke from engine

I recently took my car to the shop to get an inspection and after leaving, I noticed that something was leaking from under the car. The next day, I when I turn the car on and let it run for a little a white smoke comes from the engine ( front left if you're looking at the car) that smells like burning rubber. When I accelerate, the smoke increases & the engine light runs about 45% between hot and cold. I made a mile drive this morning and before I got to the destination, the engine temperature was way too high. Anyone know what this piece is and what I could do to fix it??

The smoke is emitting from below the bolt, right after whatever that black piece is in the second picture. ...and unfortunately all pictures are rotated to the right -_-

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

to be more clear, the smoke is coming from the top of the black canister in the center of the picture that has the line running into the top of it
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
4th Gear

more info on the car would help out as well.. but im assuming its a V6? and is it the front or rear of the engine bay thts smoking? cause if its the rear might be power steering hose tht there is a recall for.
Koni Yellows, Hood Bra,Splash Guards,Deck Lid,Weather Mats,Sunroof Visor,Fog Lights, Hybrid Mirrors <-All OEM, TL-Type S F/RSB's, Mugen Door Visors, 08 TSX Wheels, Yakima Roof Rack w/Raptor Attachment.
1990 Accord Coupe CB7 (project) Charcoal Granite Metallic

H22 Swap, Skunk2 Springs on Koni Str.t, Rear Disk Swap, Fog Lights, 92-93 Sedan Trunk Conversion, 02 Accord Rims
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

sorry about that, it's a v6 honda accord....if you're facing the engine, it's the back left thats smoking
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
6th Gear

You need to zoom out a bit more on the pics.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
5th Gear

How are the oil and coolant levels?

Power steering hose is a good possibility. Same thing happened to a friend's V6 Accord. Smoke from the back of the engine
2005 Graphite Coupe 6-5AT (sold)
2003 Black Coupe 6-6MT (sold)
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

all of the liquids are looking good...a friend of mine said that it kind of smells like the power steering fluid is burning. so possibly that is the hose bursting and spraying liquid out causing the smoke and burning rubber smell???
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM

If it's PS fluid you are in luck. Well sorta. There is a recall so you wouldn't have to pay to get the hose replaced.

That's wouldn't cause the other issue you are having though.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
3rd Gear

Is there some sort of 'sweet' scent?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
6th Gear

the p/s hose leaks and sprays onto the catalytic converter. can cause a fire and lots of smoke. take it in, all 03-07 v6s are 100% covered
Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

thanks so much for the help!! im thinking it's the recall they have....I know that typically with things on this, honda sends out a recall form to get reimbursed. Does anyone know what to do if you dont have this form/sheet/whatever
Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypapes12 View Post
thanks so much for the help!! im thinking it's the recall they have....I know that typically with things on this, honda sends out a recall form to get reimbursed. Does anyone know what to do if you dont have this form/sheet/whatever
Honda goes by your VIN, so whomever the VIN is registered to will receive the recall notice.

I didn't bring in my recall letter to the Honda delear. I just told the Service Advisor that I was here for the power steering hose recall.

Be warned, after the dealership "looks over" your vehicle, the Service Advisor may tell you that you car needs additional work.

Be prepared to tell the SA that you have a trusted mechanic who will do the additonal work or prepare to take a hard boning as you will pay a premium price for the addtional work.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:44 AM
6th Gear

Could be something as simple as a bad radiator cap, or a busted hose. Don't remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot. you will die
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Could be something as simple as a bad radiator cap, or a busted hose. Don't remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot. you will die

I would bring it to your local mechanic and have him take a look. Don't keep driving it like this, it could be doing further damage.
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM
2nd Gear

I just had the power steering recalled. The only symptom I had was the smoking coming from the rear of the engine. The power steering hose won't cause your car to run hotter or overheat. It sounds to me that you have an issue with your cooling system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, engine, power steering, radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.