97 amp install, wiring - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Audio & Electronics

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 03:17 AM
insomnia rules me :(

Question 97 amp install, wiring

i am about to install my system. i would like to know the best place to get 2, 0 gage power cables through the fire wall on the passengers side.
i know some think over kill, but it is for 1 10" sub so the big cables are nesserary.
one is ground and the other is the positive.

i am putting the amp under the passenger floor mat and raising the area around it to make it even. the cap is going under the hood and it should make for a stealth install.

i also need the wiring digram for the radio telling me what wires are what.

i also need to know how to fully take the glove box off. i can get it so it is hanging out but how do i detach the hinge?

thanks for the help. sorry for all the questions, but i looked and could not find anything. it is late, really late so i am going to bed i will check back latter, since i am the only one on DA right now.

i will post pics of the finished product when i am done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make www.vwvortex.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Fish 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve151
i am about to install my system. i would like to know the best place to get 2, 0 gage power cables through the fire wall on the passengers side.
i know some think over kill, but it is for 1 10" sub so the big cables are nesserary.
one is ground and the other is the positive.

i am putting the amp under the passenger floor mat and raising the area around it to make it even. the cap is going under the hood and it should make for a stealth install.

i also need the wiring digram for the radio telling me what wires are what.

i also need to know how to fully take the glove box off. i can get it so it is hanging out but how do i detach the hinge?

thanks for the help. sorry for all the questions, but i looked and could not find anything. it is late, really late so i am going to bed i will check back latter, since i am the only one on DA right now.

i will post pics of the finished product when i am done.
Not to sound like an a$$ but sub size doesn't determine what size wire you are running to your amps the amps power does

But for 1 10" sub. Unless it is like an orion H2 or fosgate power 10 or kicker L7 something of that range. whatever power you are putting to it needing 0 gauge just seems like severe overkill.

Unless you are running like a 2000 watt rms class d amp or multiples 0 gauge is huge over kill. if less than 1000 watt rms run a 4 or hell even 8 gauge thru the firewall bundle going to the fuse panel.

Check Here which I think is on the high side for the watts !

Notice the amps to size chart: 8 gauge will pull a maximum of 100 amps
check out the size fuses on your amp? if they are like 40 or 50 then they are going to blow long before your wire starts to limit the current unless you have a long run of cable. I think from the battery to the passenger floor is the shortest you are going to get though.

I would also not run the ground from the battery. I think that is what you are suggesting? You will want the shortest ground termination possible. Find somewhere close to the amp and terminate it there with a short run of similar cable size.

If you insist on running that size wire you are looking at drilling holes in the firewall or running it under the car

Not worth it in my limited opinion.

-fish
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 AM
5th Gear

I'll second fish on the overkill for the cabling. Don't get me wrong I love 0-ga wire. I've run it in the past but for a competition system that was rated for a little over 1400 watts RMS. and definitely use the chassis as a ground, even 0-ga does not have as much metal content to it as the chassis so it'll give you a better ground path. Since you are going under the seat you can just ground to one of the seat bolts. Because of it's lack of flexability you will have to drill holes to run 0-ga. When I last ran it I actually drilled out through the kick panel area in to the fender well, ran it through there and then back in to the engine compartment next to the battery for a clean look. That was in a car where most of the factory line were also run in the same area. The present system in my Accord is rated for 600 watts RMS and I'm running it prefectly rfine on 4-ga which is run through the main gromet on the passenger side behind the glove box in the firewall.
Front TL 27.2mm sway bar
V6 front strut bar
Fiberglass sub and amp enclosures
Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 AM

it is a 1500watt rms phoenix gold sub and the 10" is a treo with 1000watts minimum, but people have been known to run 3000watts rms to it.

the reason for the 0 gage is because i scored 60 feet of the stuff for free. it is very high quality stuff that was used for the power wires to a linear accelerator at a cancer center. i did not steal them, they were remodeling and my dad grabber them for me.

Quote:
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make www.vwvortex.com
Old 04-06-2007, 11:36 AM

here is a digram of the cables red for positive black for ground
the wires won't be that long.
i know what i am doing for the wiring i just need a god spot to run them through the fire wall, how to get the glove box off, and the wiring digram for the radio harness.(just found the wiring digram )

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 04:59 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve151
it is a 1500watt rms phoenix gold sub and the 10" is a treo with 1000watts minimum, but people have been known to run 3000watts rms to it.

the reason for the 0 gage is because i scored 60 feet of the stuff for free. it is very high quality stuff that was used for the power wires to a linear accelerator at a cancer center. i did not steal them, they were remodeling and my dad grabber them for me.

All of which translates to, yes you need 0-ga.

Unfortunately it's been a while since I installed anything on your model year Accord and I can't remember where I usually ran wires. If you have an automatic you can always drill out the clutch plate to run the wire through. I'm not too easy about putting the cap in the engine compartment though. Most of them are really not designed for the heat of engine. I would try to find a spot in the interior for it if possible. Not much help I know, but it's all I got.
Front TL 27.2mm sway bar
V6 front strut bar
Fiberglass sub and amp enclosures
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 AM

i will find a spot i just have to get up and look.
i am mostly a night person and i sleep most of the day so that is not helping much.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2007, 06:32 PM

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=448
found a spot on page 4 for the wires
anyone think it will work?

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=446
found how to remove the glove box on this one. it is also on page 4

i hopefully will start on it tomorrow.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.