oil in coolant resevoir - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Question oil in coolant resevoir

Hi- I have a 1999 accord w/ 74,000 miles. The car runs great, but I have noticed what I think is oil in my coolant resevoir. Operating temp is always normal, but I do have to add oil to the engine somtimes. Should I worry about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

oil in the coolant reservoir could mean that your head gasket is leaking.

I would change the oil to see if there is coolant in it.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:10 PM
insomnia rules me :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennHonda
oil in the coolant reservoir could mean that your head gasket is leaking.
not always true.
what about the oil cooler?
it is just as common of a problem i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make www.vwvortex.com
Old 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

There is no oil cooler in Accords...usually it is the head gasket
Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Smile

Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Yes, I'd worry.

I'd not suspect a bad headgasket on the f23 in a gen 6.

The gen 6's 4 cylinder it seems are prone to cracking the block in the oil gallery that is on the rear of the motor. The crack is not repairable and the only options are replacing the short block or another engine.

I've not run into one personally, but read on iATN of at least 2 dozen with cracked blocks. This always seems to happen on cars with low mileage, 70 to 120k or so.

If you only have a slight amount of oil, soon it will be tons. They don't usually allow coolant to leak back into the oil as the engine oil pressure is so much higher when running.

Double check the trans fluid if it's an auto. If there were atf in the coolant it would appear frothy pink, and the trans fluid on the stick would appear that way as well. (from the cooler in the rad)
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

I changed the oil myself and there was not any coolant in the oil. Then I checked the ATF and that was good. I'm going to keep checking the coolant resevoir and see what happens. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

re: oil in coolant '99 74,000 mi

Just found out the dealer thinks "most likely" that I need a new head gasket. They also want to take the block out to test for cracks about $200. I also need timing belt and water pump. Then coolant flush 129.95 and engine flush for 149.95. A right outer cv boot. Total labor $1564.99, I will get the parts on my own from work at cost since I work for American Honda at a parts center. I also went through honda customer relations and they will not cover any of the bill. I also showed the dealer my reciepts for repairs and maint. which he shared with the honda rep. but that didn't help. I'm just really ticked off at this situation.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear

Here is some good advice that I got from another forum "Always diagnose before throwing money at a problem"

I would be careful when the shop says "thinks it may be a head gasket". A leakdown test would verity that the cylinders are holding pressure and can pinpoint a leak in your engine.

For a $1500 investment, you want to be sure that you are fixing a real problem.

Also, I would not pay for a coolant flush or engine flush. The coolant flush is a pretty simple DIY job. Drain coolant, add water + radiator flush, run engine, drain, fill with water, run engine, drain, fill with 50:50 coolant:water.

For the engine flush, I would just change the oil at the proper intervals, since you didn't see any coolant in there.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 PM
James.uk

PennHonda -- said it all really always make sure you know what's wrong before spending any money on repairs, and when you spend money on diagnostic tests, always start with the cheap easy tests first..
Old 05-13-2007, 09:33 AM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
Have you owned the car since new? Has it overheated at any point? The number one reason for oil & coolant mixing IS the head gasket. Depending on where it's flawed you get oil in coolant or coolant in oil. THAT'S not a flaw with the car usually....it's had a problem in the past that has become bigger.

If it were mine, I'd have it diagnosed by testing the oil system with pressure via the VTEC selenoid. It can have the cooling system pressurized & see if the oil gets coolant in it, but since at this time it's going the other way it may not show up.

USUALLY when a block is cracked the oil goes outside.....but then again it depends on the crack.

Over 90% of the time what you're describing is the head gasket.

I kicked cancer's butt! You might be next!!!! :)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

His: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, commute beater car. Named Mater.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, I bought the 99 accord new, it has never overheated. Even before I took it to the dealer the temp gauge always read normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.