VCM or problem - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM
2nd Gear

VCM or problem

I have a 2010 Accord Coupe V6

When I am cruising/coasting I see the eco light come on which leads me to believe the VCM part of the engine is shutting down cylinders

As I start to coast I feel a slight jerk. Is that normal? is that just the engine shutting down cylinders?

or is this something else?
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM
6th Gear

take it in and drive with a mechanic. can't tell if it's normal if I can't drive it.

there is some vibration associated with vcm operation though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 AM
1st time honda owner

i've had the VCM almost 3 years now. i cannot tell when it kicks in, so you may want to get it looked at.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 AM
2008 Accord Coupe EX

sounds like the transmision
Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear

There is a transmission up-shift point at around 42 mph. If you are cruising above this speed and decide to coast. The transmission will downshift when you decelerate to approx 35mph. I try and drive on the streets at or below 40mph to eliminate experiencing this most annoying characteristic. There is also a overdrive lock-up at around 62mph. I try and drive on the highway above or below 60 mph to eliminate experiencing this most annoying characteristic. There are also perceivable cylinder deactivation (VCM) transitions. Most noticeable when the engine transitions to 3 cylinders. This most annoying characteristic of the vehicle, you just have to learn to live with.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amperex View Post
There is a transmission up-shift point at around 42 mph. If you are cruising above this speed and decide to coast. The transmission will downshift when you decelerate to approx 35mph. I try and drive on the streets at or below 40mph to eliminate experiencing this most annoying characteristic. There is also a overdrive lock-up at around 62mph. I try and drive on the highway above or below 60 mph to eliminate experiencing this most annoying characteristic. There are also perceivable cylinder deactivation (VCM) transitions. Most noticeable when the engine transitions to 3 cylinders. This most annoying characteristic of the vehicle, you just have to learn to live with.
Mine downshifts to 4th at ~40mph and to 3rd at ~20mph. I know this is off-topic, but what are you expecting it to do? Hold 5th gear at 20mph? That doesn't seem very useful, or safe for that matter. Shouldn't you be in a gear appropriate to your speed, or am I missing something?

Regarding VCM, like CtheW0rld, I honestly can't tell when VCM engages - other than the light on the dash...
Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear

What your missing is that this 5 spd transmission is crude, unrefined and antiquated.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
2008 Accord Coupe EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amperex View Post
when i first drove my car i thot there was an issue with the transmission, i later found out that this is normal,but yeah ur right somtimes its annoying sometimes i like it
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear

Learn to live with it!

FYI i've had the same symptoms at least 30k miles ago at least. I've had no issues and it still does the same annoying stutter. I find it best to drive a little more aggressive, the problem is when you cruise around or cruise at low speeds around 25 mph or 20 mph. The car ALWAYS wants to shift gears up. So at 25 mph, it will try to shift up, and when you go slow, it takes longer to shift. Then you might go to 20 mph, it'll shift down. Hence a "hunting transmission". Add that when it shifts, it may go from 3 cylinders to 4 cylinders to shifting. All this change makes for a clunky ride. Or cruising, 4 to 3 cylinder changes are annoying and make a HUMMMMMMM.

Makes city driving annoying, plus I hear the torque isn't enough for this big car.

Go 45+ mph, no issues.

Accelerate fast, no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.