Sport Mode and Paddle Shifters - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 AM
Out of Control

Sport Mode and Paddle Shifters

There has been a lot of discussion on this board concerning the Econ mode and gas mileage. How many of you, with automatic transmissions, drive the car in the Sport Mode? How does that affect your gas milage? And, how many are using the paddle shift function and in which situations do you use them? Do you consider the paddle shift levers just a toy?
San Marino Red 172,000 miles and still counting!
2007 Fit Sport Silver 56,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2, 63 VW Bug, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder, 70 Toyota Crown, 59 Vauxhall Victor (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

It really depends on the person... I've read quite a few posts where people baby their car and never rev the engine past the 3,000RPM mark and then there are the videos of people activating vtec hitting 5-6k.

I myself use Sports mode quite often because I like to hear my engine growl for a little longer than when my auto tranny does it for me.

I have found that on average, I get about 25MPG on average when I use shifters, and about 30 on automatic (city/highway driving combined)
Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizix View Post
It really depends on the person... I've read quite a few posts where people baby their car and never rev the engine past the 3,000RPM mark and then there are the videos of people activating vtec hitting 5-6k.

I myself use Sports mode quite often because I like to hear my engine growl for a little longer than when my auto tranny does it for me.

I have found that on average, I get about 25MPG on average when I use shifters, and about 30 on automatic (city/highway driving combined)
Of course you can use the paddle shifters WITHOUT the Sport mode.

I posted my experiment earlier but during that experiment I didn't leave it in Sport mode but just during acceleration. When I reached cruising speed I'd pop it back in Drive.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 6MT San Marino Red
2001 S2000 I4 6MT Silverstone Silver
1998 Prelude I4 5MT San Marino Red
1992 Prelude Si 2WS I4 5MT San Marino Red
Old 07-20-2013, 07:21 AM
4th Gear

U don't need to be in S to hit the paddles just hit the down shift paddle at stop light n be prepared after that.l

I love my mpgs so I keep it in auto econ mode

Stanced 2013 Coupe EX-L, Wide and Staggered, Stretched, Cambered, V6 LED headlight Mod, Vossens, Kicker,
Bagged 2006 Cammed Silverado SS Laying Frame, Accuair, Canti-Lever 6 Link, Magnaflow
Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 AM
2nd Gear

I typically shift to sport mode when trying to merge into the highway, the car is always set to drive with no econ unless in that situation. As far as using the paddle shifters, I downshift when going up hills/inclines or when trying to get around or pass a stubborn driver on the highway - the ones that insist on staying in the left lane and speed up when you try to get around them.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:27 PM
2013 EX-L V6-6MT

Yes, paddle shifters are toys. Nothing can replace a real clutch.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM
5th Gear

You can either treat your car like a baby and never take it out or treat it like a bitch and drive it like their's no tomorrow. That's what I always tell people and I drive my car like a bitch because I would rather have fun and enjoy my Honda then keep it in the garage 24/7. Be a rebel and throw it into sport
Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 PM
HA-420

I use S mode quite often and only use ECO while in long distance cruise. I'm getting 22-23mpgs lately.

As far as the paddles - they're nice when coming out of a turn and the car doesn't wanna downshift and you don't wanna have to mash the gas to make it. It's not a stick, but it's close to the next best thing. They're really good for downshifting but for upshifting the S mode shift points are pretty nice by themselves.
Kensun HIDs
VLED Fogs
Dyno Sheet
and Run
Stock exhaust at WOT
65-120 Pull
Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

I mostly use my car for work commutes, so having the automatics definitely saves me gas. S mode is helpful when moving through traffic in rush hour.

My favorite combo is manual till third gear, then switch to automatic.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Hi guys,

I am confused, need your help here.

When shifting from D to S : do we need to press the shift lever release button?

When shifting from S to D : do we need to press the shift lever release button?

Please help.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:24 AM
5th Gear

D to S and the opposite on the fly is fine. The computer will look after the shifting in relation to the position.

(2004-2006) - White 2002 Civic LX Sedan Auto (29,XXXkms) (RIP)

(2006-2011) - Silver 2001 Toyota Corolla S Sedan 5-Spd (186,XXXkms) (Sold 19, Nov 2011)

(2011-2014) - White 2011 Accord EX Coupe 5-Spd (80,100kms) (Traded 22, Feb 2014)

(2014-Current) - Basque Red 2014 Accord Sport Sedan CVT
(5,000kms)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 AM
been around the block

I must be the only person on this forum that doesn't look at the gas mileage haha!

Paddle shifters are fun in a real HP car (400hp+) on the Accord it's just meh, still use them occasionally however.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Thunder Up!

I've used them a few times when I first got the car, but honestly...I feel dumb using paddle shifters in a 189hp car lol. I don't feel like they really make that big of difference when getting into a lower gear for passing, etc.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
4th Gear

I would not have bought an automatic if it did not have paddle shifters. I would have held out for a manual. I feel that the auto with paddle shifters is goo compromise between the best of both worlds. Granted, I have the V6 Coupe, so I have a real auto transmission instead of a CVT. I use sport mode and paddle shifters very often. It works great while having fun on the twisty bits of road. The added control over what gear you want to be in is great. On ramps, off ramps, you name it, I've used sport mode and paddle shift there. I really like being able to use engine braking in traffic congestion too, or while exiting freeways. I played with Econ mode at first, but I never use it anymore, and gas mileage is not something in concerned with. It may not be perfect (most notably the small delay in upshifts and non rev-matching downshifts), but it's also nice to just be able to jump on the freeway in auto and just have a nice leisurely drive to work. Like I said, best of both worlds.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I would not have bought an automatic if it did not have paddle shifters. I would have held out for a manual. I feel that the auto with paddle shifters is goo compromise between the best of both worlds. Granted, I have the V6 Coupe, so I have a real auto transmission instead of a CVT. I use sport mode and paddle shifters very often. It works great while having fun on the twisty bits of road. The added control over what gear you want to be in is great. On ramps, off ramps, you name it, I've used sport mode and paddle shift there. I really like being able to use engine braking in traffic congestion too, or while exiting freeways. I played with Econ mode at first, but I never use it anymore, and gas mileage is not something in concerned with. It may not be perfect (most notably the small delay in upshifts and non rev-matching downshifts), but it's also nice to just be able to jump on the freeway in auto and just have a nice leisurely drive to work. Like I said, best of both worlds.
is the up or downshift delay a lot? Did you compare the cvt? i got the cvt one, but not feel too much the delay
OBDII BLUETOOTH CONNECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.