03-04 L4 engine vibration in gear 04-024. - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Factory Facts > 2003 Honda Accord Instructions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 05:00 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
03-04 L4 engine vibration in gear 04-024.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 03-04 l4 engine vibration in gear 04-024.pdf (227.9 KB, 6295 views)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 07:12 AM
ready to go....

bump

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

Old 09-01-2005, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

wondering if anyone out there has a 4-cyl 03-04 accord EXL that has been serviced for the excessive engine vibration? since i can't open any of these pdf files and understand many are having the same problem, is this the TSB regarding replacing the engine mounts or is that something different?

I took my car in twice in one year to get the engine vibration issue looked at, among other things, but didn't have the TSB to back it up. i know the dealer won't fix what isn't broken, so if the mechanic didn't feel anything, he wouldn't have replaced it. but in the winter or when i use A/C and accelerate, i feel extra vibration, esp. on the steering wheel and driver seat. my car now has 42K miles on it and i'm wondering if anyone has had the dealer give them goodwill consideration - i figure if the same thing happens this winter, i want to go in with my gameface on, explaining that their history of my car at the dealership states directly that i'd taken the car in for that problem twice before while the car was under warranty and they didn't do anything about it. obviously, i'd have to make sure it goes in on a cold day or drive with the technician and crank the AC for him to feel it...but jw who's had this TSB actually performed by their dealership out-of-warranty and their experience with it?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
ready to go....

I did some copying & pasting.....

It's an engine mount problem & yes, I do believe others have had it.

If you have it documented with them that you tried to have it found while it was under warranty many dealers will repair it as a goodwill thing. If they still refuse....call Honda!

Service Bulletin
 2004 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved ATB 26704 (0405) 1 of 4
CUSTOMER INFORMATION: The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools, equipment,
and training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you should not assume
this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information applies, contact an
authorized Honda automobile dealer.
May 4, 2004
04-024
Applies To: 2003 Accord L4 A/T – ALL
2004 Accord L4 A/T 2-door – From VIN 1HGCM7...4A000001 thru 1HGCM7...4A009608
2004 Accord L4 A/T 4-door – From VIN 1HGCM5...4A000001 thru 1HGCM5...4A057899
2004 Accord L4 A/T 4-door – From VIN 3HGCM5...4G700001 thru 3HGCM5...4G703063
2004 Accord L4 A/T 4-door – From VIN JHMCM5...4C000001 thru JHMCM5...4C028489
Engine Vibrates While Idling In Gear
SYMPTOM
Excessive vibration is felt in the seat and steering
wheel when the transmission is put in Drive or
Reverse. The vibration may be worse in cold weather
or with loads, such as with the A/C on or when the
steering wheel is turned.
PROBABLE CAUSE
Not enough engine dampening.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Based on the VIN, do either REPAIR PROCEDURE A
or REPAIR PROCEDURE B.

Replace the front engine mount. Loosen and then
torque all engine mounting bolts.
REPAIR PROCEDURE B:
Replace the front engine mount, loosen and then
torque all engine mounting bolts, and install the
engine idle smoothing kit.
PARTS INFORMATION
Front Engine Mount:
P/N 50830-SDA-A04, H/C 7622301
Engine Idle Smoothing Kit:
P/N 50830-SDA-999, H/C 7637044
(Kit contains 4 bolts, 2 lower radiator mounts, 2 upper
radiator mount washers, and 1 front bumper mass.)
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
Failed Part: P/N 50830-SDA-A02
H/C 7138902
Defect Code: 09999
Symptom Code: 04505
Skill Level: Repair Technician
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work.
REPAIR PROCEDURE A
2004 Accord 2-door from VIN 1HGCM7...4A000022
thru 1HGCM7...4A009608
2004 Accord 4-door from VIN 1HGCM5...4A000085
thru 1HGCM5...4A057899
2004 Accord 4-door from VIN 3HGCM5...4G700003
thru 3HGCM5...4G703063
2004 Accord 4-door from VIN JHMCM5...4C000038
thru JHMCM5...4C028489
1. Remove the vacuum hose from the vacuum line
that is next to the front engine mount.
OP# Description FRT
112118 Install the front engine mount, and loosen
and torque all engine mounting bolts
(REPAIR PROCEDURE A)
112119 Install the front engine mount, loosen and
torque all engine mounting bolts, install
the engine idle smoothing kit.
(REPAIR PROCEDURE B)

Old 09-01-2005, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

thanks - just not looking forward to having to confront them with this if i get the same problem this winter, and i'm sure i will! the AC has actually been fine this summer so my fingers are still crossed, and i definitely needed to use it a lot.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear

I just had the update done I looked under the hood and saw a new mount in place but I still have vibration not as much as before but its still there.Also it increases with the ac or heater on. what was installed was the engine idle smoothing kit.Any thoughts?
83,652 miles
Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear

Is this a recall? or what

Haha...i just got my used 03 accord.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
2003 Accord EX 2.4L/5AT

No, it is a TSB (technical service bulletin). I just bought an 03 EX recently for my wife. It definitely has a lot of vibration occasionally when the a/c is on and we are in gear at a stop light.

Anyway, read the TSB again. It says 'if under warranty' and in our case 'if out of warranty'.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

You should still try it... Even if out of warranty, the dealer "may" do it under "good will". Maybe you should do a few oil changes there first ;o)
Anyway, they did it for my '03 Accord EX-L... and it made a HUGE difference. The car feels like it's new again. Right before that, I was thinkin about selling it, because the vibration got so annoying. Good luck!~
Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear

Just wanted to let you guys in on my experience trying to get this TSB done.

I drop off my vehicle and tell them it's under the extended warranty, so it should be no problem. I gave them the TSB number (since I had it already printed out, thanks princess!). They call me back and tell me that it is in fact addressed by the TSB, and they needed to call the extended warranty people: EasyCare or Easy Care. Also goes by Automobile Protection Corporation. I figured they would probably approve it. Besides, the plan I got was called "TotalCare." Just so you know, I was never offered the HondaCare plan, just this plan.

So, as you can probably tell, they denied the claim. They said since nothing is actually broken or has broken down, then they do not cover it. When I called them to complain, they said it is a manufacturer's defect, not a breakdown. If anyone out there is ever offered the "EasyCare or Easy Care" plan from APC, keep in mind it is not a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. I got suckered into buying this and spent ~$1200!! It will not cover annoyances, like buzzes, rattles, vibrations, noises, etc. which will probably be the majority, if not your only complaints!! "TotalCare" my a**!

I was thinking of filing a claim with the BBB. But I figured I should probably contact Honda first. The person on the line was SUPER friendly. She told me that she would open a claim and they would get back to me in 1 to 2 days. She said hopefully they will pick up the tab, if not at least help me out. She was surprised that the extended warranty folks did not cover it.

The people at the dealer told me that the HondaCare plan would've probably covered it, since it is in fact an extension of the factory warranty. Doesn't do me any good now to think about it.

Alright, my rant's done. Thanks for reading!!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear

Update: Honda Customer Service got back to me and told me that they are looking into getting some goodwill consideration. The person even asked me how much I was willing to pay? That was a little weird.
Btw, the dealer quoted the job at $457.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM
3rd Gear

Goodwill came through and said they will cover 80%. So I will end up paying about $100. I can live with that.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Auto Mechanic

I also had this TSB done but the vibration is better but not completely gone. Every time I turn on my heater, I always shut off the A/C...unless I really need it.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem as you all had. When I drive my accord 2004 (EX - 4 cyl) on the highway, I can feel the excessive vibration on the steering wheel as well as the body, especially when I put my left feet on the floor mat. Also when the car drives on lower RPM, then I feel excessive vibration as well.

I went to honda dealer for a diagnose, I told them about the TSB that princess attached on this forum and he said that it only when the vehicle is on idle not while it drives. The technician also said that there is nothing wrong with my car but I argue so the service advisor told me to ride with the technician and told him what I think was wrong. I took the technician for a ride and show him what I consider excessive vibration but he said that it was still normal.

He did check all my engine mounts and said that everything was still in great shape. He did not recommend me anything for this issue.

Now I am getting confuse, if just told any shop to get the engine mount replaced with the new one, do you guys thing that it will solve my vibration problem? I was reading on the honda pilot forum and someone had the same problem as mine and couldn't find out what happen until during an oil change the technician told him that the engine mount was ready to go; he did replace it and the vibration issue disappeared.

Any suggestion?? Any advise is appreciated!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywdj View Post
I have the same problem as you all had. When I drive my accord 2004 (EX - 4 cyl) on the highway, I can feel the excessive vibration on the steering wheel as well as the body, especially when I put my left feet on the floor mat. Also when the car drives on lower RPM, then I feel excessive vibration as well.
Yes, the TSB is only applicable for vibration at idle. How old are the tires? Have they been balanced/aligned recently? I would probably start there. After I got new tires about 10k ago I couldn't believe how smooth it got.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.