V6 Accord Maintenance - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

V6 Accord Maintenance

Hello all, this is my first post here! I am thinking of buying a 06 or 07 accord, I am leaning towards the 4 cyl but I found a 6 cyl with low miles. My question is, does anyone have a link the spark plug changing procedure on the V6? I know with some V6's in the past you have to remove the intake manifold to reach the rear bank of plugs. This and any other maintenance advice would be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
AV6 Owner Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Succinct
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg1999 View Post
Hello all, this is my first post here! I am thinking of buying a 06 or 07 accord, I am leaning towards the 4 cyl but I found a 6 cyl with low miles. My question is, does anyone have a link the spark plug changing procedure on the V6? I know with some V6's in the past you have to remove the intake manifold to reach the rear bank of plugs. This and any other maintenance advice would be great, thanks.
This doesn't directly answer your question, but in case you weren't aware, I wanted to point out that the spark plug change interval is 100K miles (or something very high like that). So I don't think the changing of spark plugs should drive your purchase decision - there are other more important points such as performance versus economy of operation trade-offs. For me the V6 offered the better set of trade-offs, but then I was coming over from a V8 high-performance sedan.

One maintenace advantage the 4-cyl DOES have over the V6 is the 4-cyl has a timing chain versus the 6-cylinder's timing belt. Despite claims on here to the contrary, timing chains don't last forever either, but I think it's a safe bet to say it wouldn't need replacement nearly as often as the timing belt of the V6 (which I believe is currently at 105K miles or so, someone else will correct me I am sure)....

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Coupe. Garage Queen.
1991 Legend L sedan
2006 Odyssey EX-L/RES (Slate Green/Olive)
Veteran owner of numerous other Acura/Hondas previously
2001 CR-V LX 2WD - (R.I.P. Mom!) My son's car
SOLD: 2006 Accord EX-L V6 sedan (Sapphire Blue/Black, 5AT) - 27.2mm TL front sway bar, 20mm TL-S rear sway bar, tinted windows, 6MT shock tower brace, Michelin Primacy MXV4 (stock size 215/50-17)
Old 01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
6th Gear

They are not difficult to reach - nothing goofy.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
AV6 Owner Emeritus

PS - Unless you are getting a SPECTACULAR deal on that used V6, you may want to scout on this forum what others have paid for brand new left-over 2007 V6s. The latest figure I saw was $22,500 for a new 2007 V6 EX-L without Navi, and some have claimed to have paid even less as dealers are still trying to make room for their ever-increasing inventories of 2008's.

1991 Legend L sedan
SOLD: 2006 Accord EX-L V6 sedan (Sapphire Blue/Black, 5AT) - 27.2mm TL front sway bar, 20mm TL-S rear sway bar, tinted windows, 6MT shock tower brace, Michelin Primacy MXV4 (stock size 215/50-17)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 PM
07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT

Send a message via Yahoo to mdnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
Despite claims on here to the contrary, timing chains don't last forever either, but I think it's a safe bet to say it wouldn't need replacement nearly as often as the timing belt of the V6 (which I believe is currently at 105K miles or so, someone else will correct me I am sure)....
Honda says 60-90K on their FAQ in the owner resources. In the owners manual for my vehicle, it says do it according to the maintenance minder system or every 60K miles if:
  • You drive in high ambient temperatures (over 110 F / 43 C)
  • You drive in very low ambient temperatures (under -20 F / -29 C)
  • Frequently tow a trailer

Mine will be changed every 50K miles regardless of Honda's recommendation. I won't chance one breaking on me and destroying the engine. Had one break before on a Volvo, but thankfully that was a non-interference design engine and didn't cause any damage. Did set me back a bundle as I was 150mi away from home, so I had bills for a rental car, UHaul & trailer, and hotel room. Not fun.

If you're buying a used V6, make sure you find out about the timing belt. If it is at a dealership and has 50K or more miles, I'd make changing it a part of the deal.
1991 Volvo 744 SE turbo, M46, red / black cloth, 99,580mi
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, I put a lot of miles on my cars I typically drive 20K - 23K per year so the mileage gets up there in a few years. it is very wierd to me that honda would not figure putting a chain on the V6 motor as well since chains are virtually maintenance free.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:13 AM
6th Gear

mdnky,

Every 50k miles? That is quite a bit of overkill - 2:1 margin which adds up to quite a bill. Do you DIY to help keep costs in check? Baton Rouge doesn't qualify for the temp extremes? Do you tow?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg1999 View Post
Thanks for the info, I put a lot of miles on my cars I typically drive 20K - 23K per year so the mileage gets up there in a few years. it is very wierd to me that honda would not figure putting a chain on the V6 motor as well since chains are virtually maintenance free.
The j30 was breaking chains during testing.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:45 PM
AV6 Owner Emeritus

My 1994 Legend GS 6-speed (3.5L V6, but admittedly not a J-series engine) had a 90K timing belt change interval. The belt was changed at 91K and again at 181K (pretty much right on time) with no ill effects. The guy who bought it from me is now at 275K so it is getting to be about time to do it again, if he hasn't already.

1991 Legend L sedan
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
6th Gear

I could be wrong, but I thought that the 2007 Accords had a timing chain and a serpentine belt, not a timing belt.

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Old 01-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Jeeps like to be muddy

Send a message via AIM to Accordtx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought that the 2007 Accords had a timing chain and a serpentine belt, not a timing belt.
the 4 bangers have the chain V6 has a timing belt
Parrot 3200 LS Bluetooth, Infinity Kappas 692.7i Rear, Infinity Kappas 50.7 Front
Navi 2.0 -> .5 goodwill from Honda

2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew - 10K
Tool box, Floorliners
[B]AVG MPG: 18.678[B]
Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordtx1 View Post
the 4 bangers have the chain V6 has a timing belt
Thanks for the clarification.

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.