2008 Accord VSA and TPMS Question - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 AM
08EXL V6MT Navi

Question 2008 Accord VSA and TPMS Question

What is the Purpose of the VSA button? When ever I try to turn it off (by pressing the button) nothing happens?!

ALSO is there a way to turn the TPMS light off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition_key View Post
What is the Purpose of the VSA button? When ever I try to turn it off (by pressing the button) nothing happens?!

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-...px?Feature=vsa

more general explanation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_Control

basically AFAIK it controls the speed of each wheel so there is less "variances" so handling is better by applying brakes and controling drive-by-wire throttle.

Try on wet/snowy surface hit gas with VSA on, it will limit slipping an wheel spin .With off wheel spin should happen till you let off throttle.

I only have 2.4L so only notice a differance in snow/wet surfaced raods.

No, you can't turn off TPMS light, other than keep air proper levels. (there might be a fuse u can pull but no switches)

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
If the ICON is lit it means you have one or more tires than are low on air, check and fill according. The light with go off.

I can't speak to the VSA question. I leave it ON all the time.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:

Just to clarify. VSA is OFF when the light on the dashboard is lit. the triangle light is a warning that your VSA is disabled. It's the opposite of most other lights (cruise, headlights) that come on when turned on.

Past:
98 Accord EX Coupe 2.3l Auto ULEV 99000miles
99 Civic EX 68000miles
93 Civic DX 40000miles
Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
Quote:
To disable VSA, press and hold the button for a few seconds. An ! inside a triangle will light up in the tachometer indicating that its OFF.

Disabling VSA will turn off Vehicle Stability Assist and Traction Control.

Quote:
If the ! icon in a tire is lit up, just below and to the left of the tachometer, that means one or more of the tires has low pressure. Check your tires when they're cold (sitting at least 4 hours).

If the TPMS light is on, there's a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. A sensor is bad or the control unit isn't working.

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6
Old 01-17-2008, 03:01 PM
3rd Gear

Yea I was wondering why nothing happened when i just pushed the VSA off button, next time ill try holding it for a few seconds
Old 01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
Another interesting note from the owner's manual . . . If the TPMS light is on, VSA can not be turned off.

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6
Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:

VSA keeps the car from spinning out of control. If you want to turn it off for racing for example, just press it and hold it for like 5 seconds.

If you changed your factory wheels to aftermarket wheels, your TPMS light will stay on. You'll need to install tire pressure monitors in each wheel (can be expensive) in order for the TPMS light to go out. Also, as someone mentioned, I think the VSA is interrelated to the TPMS system. Refer to your owner's manual on this.

That's our government at work! They demanded that car manufacturers install "safety" features like TPMS, traction control, air bags, seat belts, high gas mileage, low emissions, ad infinitum... and then people complain when new cars get heavier, more expensive, slower, uglier, more complicated, less desirable. If only politicians & bureaucrats knew how to design superb cars we'd be in good shape!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
08EXL V6MT Navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpulse View Post
Yea I was wondering why nothing happened when i just pushed the VSA off button, next time ill try holding it for a few seconds
Thats the SAME problem i am having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
To disable VSA, press and hold the button for a few seconds. An ! inside a triangle will light up in the tachometer indicating that its OFF.
Thats what im trying to say. When i press and hold the button for a few seconds NOTHING HAPPENS.
So what is the purpose of the button when nothing happens?

I have 08 6MT.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 AM
08EXL V6MT Navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post

If you changed your factory wheels to aftermarket wheels, your TPMS light will stay on. You'll need to install tire pressure monitors in each wheel (can be expensive) in order for the TPMS light to go out. Also, as someone mentioned, I think the VSA is interrelated to the TPMS system. Refer to your owner's manual on this.
Thats what i am planning to do, is to get aftermarket tires BUT i dont want to pay extra $ for the TPMS sensors (I can live without it) and was wondering if there was a way to disable the annoying TPMS light when i install my new tires.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
EXLV6NAVFTW

From the 08 coupe owners manual:
Quote:
This switch is under the driver’s side vent. To turn the VSA system on and off, press and hold it until you hear a beep.
When VSA is off, the VSA activation indicator comes on as a reminder. Press and hold the switch again. It turns the system back on.

VSA is turned on every time you start the engine, even if you turned it off the last time you drove the vehicle.

In certain unusual conditions when your vehicle gets stuck in shallow mud or fresh snow, it may be easier to free it with the VSA temporarily switched off. When the VSA system is off, the traction control system is also off. You should only attempt to free your vehicle with the VSA off if you are not able to free it when the VSA is on.
Immediately after freeing your vehicle, be sure to switch the VSA on again. We do not recommend driving your vehicle with the VSA and traction control systems switched off.

Driving with varying tire or wheel sizes may cause the VSA to malfunction. When replacing tires, make sure they are of the same size and type as your original tires (see page 341)

If you install winter tires, make sure they are the same size as those that were originally supplied with your vehicle. Exercise the same caution during winter driving as you would if your vehicle was not equipped with VSA.
And, in the TPMS section:
Quote:
This indicator comes on and stays on if there is a problem with the tire pressure monitoring system. If this happens, the system will shut off and no longer monitor tire pressures. Have the system checked by your dealer as soon as possible.
If the low tire pressure indicator or TPMS indicator comes on, the VSA system automatically turns on even if the VSA system is turned off by pressing the VSA OFF switch (see page ). If this happens, you cannot turn the VSA system off by pressing the VSA OFF switch again.

The fuse for TPMS is located in the interior drivers side fuse box. It is #29. I don't know what will happen with VSA if you pull it.
I do not recommend pulling the fuse for VSA because it is shared with ABS.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
Quote:
Thats what i am planning to do, is to get aftermarket tires BUT i dont want to pay extra $ for the TPMS sensors (I can live without it) and was wondering if there was a way to disable the annoying TPMS light when i install my new tires.
if you are going to keep the stock set of wheels for 'winter use' ... IIRC , you can have the TPMS sensors taken out of the stockies and put into other rims...

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
08EXL V6MT Navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
if you are going to keep the stock set of wheels for 'winter use' ... IIRC , you can have the TPMS sensors taken out of the stockies and put into other rims...

I thought of that too, but then when I take the aftermarket tires and put the stockers back on will run in the same problem of taking them off again.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
EXLV6NAVFTW

Quote:
I thought of that too, but then when I take the aftermarket tires and put the stockers back on will run in the same problem of taking them off again.
You can always spend the extra $$$ on another set of monitors... if you buy tire/wheel combos from tirerack, they can come pre-installed.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb27 View Post
You can always spend the extra $$$ on another set of monitors... if you buy tire/wheel combos from tirerack, they can come pre-installed.
Won't they have to be "introduced" to the car?? On the Corvette you need a special tool (basically a big magnet). You can enter the TPMS Learning Mode" via the Driver Info Center but then you need to set the tool close to the new TPMS valve stem (in a pre-determined pattern) and wait until the horn chrips, then you move on to the next sensor.

I don't think new sensor just start work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.