2014 Accord Hybrid - Real World Mileage???? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

2014 Accord Hybrid - Real World Mileage????

Strongly considering the new Accord Hybrid and have read some great reviews on the car. The mileage information from test drives is all over the map although it tends to be skewed towards generally meeting or beating the EPA estimates. However, I haven't seen anything from a current owner as to what they are experiencing under what conditions - mix of city/highway, general driving habits, exterior temperatures, etc (all the things that effect hybrid mileage). Can we start a thread on this and see what the realities are with this car?

I know there aren't a large number of them on the road yet, but there has to be enough to get a thread going - I hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NZYWJ9 For This Useful Post:
isaccth1 (11-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM
5th Gear

I haven't seen anyone say they were able to buy one yet. There is another thread about purchasing one here.

I have some initial mileage for the PHEV Accord on fuelly, and I ran two tanks through it without plugging in the vehicle to see what the hybrid mileage looked like. That data should be close to the Hybrid data, although the PHEV should be a little worse, since it weighs more than the conventional hybrid.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cobrapa/accord-phev

There are notes about the conditions on the fuelup logs, take a look at the 10/30/13 for a Econ mode off run, and 11/7/13 for Econ mode on.
The Following User Says Thank You to CobraPA For This Useful Post:
NZYWJ9 (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

Cobra, thanks so much for that info, it definitely helps. Hopefully there are more out there with the vehicle that they can help Honda sell more by proving much of what's in the trade rags from first drive experiences by journalists.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZYWJ9 View Post
help Honda sell more by ....
That is just it. They are not even rolling it out officially and although they have it for sale, are not providing nor building any of any consequence. It's like it doesn't exist but it does and they are botching the tidlewave of enthusiast emotion and general excitement. It's a hurry up and wait and if you are like me, an impulsive buyer, the worst news of all and total buzz or in this case, buy kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post
I haven't seen anyone say they were able to buy one yet.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

I was able to buy a white EX-L on Wed (11/20). Dealer called to say they just got one in, and while I wasn't planning to purchase it I dropped by in the morning (they were still prepping it) and drove its first miles. I liked it enough I bought it on the spot - I was figuring I'd wait a few months but there you are.

Anyhow, my real-world milage so far (all of 300 miles now - half a tank of gas) has been 42/mpg. But my commute to work involves a pretty good altitude change and driving through some mountainous roads. I'm very impressed with that mileage and with the general drivability of this car.

The car I traded in (2006 Audi A6 with a V8) was getting about 17mpg on that same commute, so in this respect its a huge win. So far I am really enjoying this car, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the Audi even a little bit
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmcrowe For This Useful Post:
btonetbone (11-26-2013), karfreek (11-27-2013), NZYWJ9 (11-25-2013), timeshifter (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
I was able to buy a white EX-L on Wed (11/20). Dealer called to say they just got one in, and while I wasn't planning to purchase it I dropped by in the morning (they were still prepping it) and drove its first miles. I liked it enough I bought it on the spot - I was figuring I'd wait a few months but there you are.

Anyhow, my real-world milage so far (all of 300 miles now - half a tank of gas) has been 42/mpg. But my commute to work involves a pretty good altitude change and driving through some mountainous roads. I'm very impressed with that mileage and with the general drivability of this car.

The car I traded in (2006 Audi A6 with a V8) was getting about 17mpg on that same commute, so in this respect its a huge win. So far I am really enjoying this car, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the Audi even a little bit
Welcome to the forum. What did you miss about the Audi. My guess would be the more unfiltered acceleration? I think that would be what I miss about my V6 but I still don't have a Hybrid I can test drive. You should start a brand new thread and post some pics, it would be a big hit!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM
5th Gear

Wow, congratulations on the new Hybrid. I think you are the first on the board.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 PM
4th Gear

Quote:

Congrats on the new car! Now start a fuelly account so we can track you!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:01 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
I was able to buy a white EX-L on Wed (11/20)...
Yes, I'm pretty sure you're the first one here. In fact you're the first owner I've seen communicating anywhere online. Please keep posting about your new car. I'd dying to buy one but the closest Obsidian Blue EX-L that I want is 800 miles away.

If you don't mind me asking (I'm going to ask anyway ) how much did you pay?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 PM
2014 V6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14HybridAccord View Post
Welcome to the forum. What did you miss about the Audi. My guess would be the more unfiltered acceleration? I think that would be what I miss about my V6 but I still don't have a Hybrid I can test drive. You should start a brand new thread and post some pics, it would be a big hit!
I think this is the equivalent of p@rn for 14HybridAccord. Make sure the pictures get your Hybrid from all angles
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Howdy everyone! Been lurking for awhile. Figure I would comment on my thoughts since I was considering the new hybrid.

I went into the dealership the day after it went on sale to ask about it. At the time I was only considering the new fusion hybrid.
They talked to me about it a little and then showed me an EX-L I4. That would get at least 36 mpg for my drive and probably more.

I work 50 miles from my house. I drive on back country roads with speed limits of 60 mph and no traffic with 2 stop signs.

I ended up purchasing that EX-L w/ NAVI that night. Better fit and finish than the ford fusion I was considering at the time and way more back seat room. More options for the price also.
What I have seen is once the cruise is set at 61 mph for a 40 mile stretch of the drive I get 39 mpg. With my total drive I am right at 36 mpg and it is still creeping up.

I still think the hybrid would of been cool to have but running the numbers it would of taken 7 years to make up the price difference assuming I got 50 mpg in the hybrid.
I am extremely happy with what I ended up with. Oh...and it's the first Honda I have owned in the 26 years I have been driving and I am thoroughly satisfied.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 AM
5th Gear

Congratulations on the new non-Hybrid as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CobraPA For This Useful Post:
kwicslvr (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14HybridAccord View Post
Thanks for the welcome - I'm usually more of a lurker on forums but actually had an answer to this topics question so figured I'd chime in.

Now have 390 miles on it and just over 41mpg, but I'm on the uphill part of my commute now (home) so when I drive back down the hill it will go back up to 42 or so. During my sole trip around the city where I could measure a leg of about 25 miles or so, I was getting about 50, but that's not exactly a scientific measurement.

If I have time tomorrow I'll take a few pics and start a thread, though I think the uniqueness of owning a hybrid will be over pretty soon.

As for the A6 vs. Accord hybrid, I don't have much regret, but they are pretty different cars. I test drove the accord (the salesman threw me the keys and let myself and my brother take off in it - he didn't even get my drivers license! ) and I was quite surprised at how well it handled, even the electric steering didn't feel that bad to me. And I expected a pretty gutless car, but was surprised at how much get-up it had. This went a long way towards my decision to buy it then and there.

Pros for the a6 were:

* performance - both acceleration and cornering (it was a quatro s-line with 340 hp after all )
* fit/finish and materials - the accord is nice in this area, but the audi really shined here
* trunk size (needless to say the hybrids don't have big trunks)
* MMI control of Bluetooth phone from steering wheel (audi has a nice way of scrolling your phonebook right from the steering wheel, my EX-L does not)
* rain sensing wipers ( I literally never touched them, just left on in auto mode )
* 4-wheel drive (handling in the rain - it rained the day after I bought my car, and I stepped on it and spun the front tires - but that was quite manageable and not a serious issue)
* [Edited} Spare tire - didn't really realize the accord didn't have one until I got home ... The a6 had a full sized spare.

For the accord:

* better bluetooth integration (streaming audio, pandora, etc...)
* most of the features the 7 year old A6 had like keyless entry, etc..
* mileage (of course )
* regular gas (vs premium)
* reliability (assuming honda will win here)
* cost to repair (the Audi was at about 100k miles, and while it had been pretty reliable for me, I could just tell it was getting ready to do something that would cost a lot.
* more room in the rear seats (I'm 6'5" and in the audi only a very small child would be comfortable behind me, in the honda my 6' son can sit there pretty easily)

The big thing here is though - I paid over 60k for the audi (it was loaded) and I paid almost half that for the honda. And the honda has most of the technical gadgetry the audi had that was unique in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeshifter View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure you're the first one here. In fact you're the first owner I've seen communicating anywhere online. Please keep posting about your new car. I'd dying to buy one but the closest Obsidian Blue EX-L that I want is 800 miles away.

If you don't mind me asking (I'm going to ask anyway ) how much did you pay?
I paid list, with the supply the way it was I don't think they were going to do any bargaining. There were supposed to be 2 other parties headed into the dealership to look at it that day - I just go there first They did throw in a $500 bonus toward the down payment, but otherwise straight list which I think was just south of 32k. Tomorrow I'll start a thread with some pics so I don't hijack this one.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

How are you driving the car to get 41 MPG? Decent acceleration? Or are you babying it?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEye View Post
How are you driving the car to get 41 MPG? Decent acceleration? Or are you babying it?
I'm in the middle I'd say. Not goosing it a lot, but definitely not babying it either. That said, if I'm on a stretch of road that I can run it in EV mode and maybe I'm doing 50 or so (the speed limit) I'll hold it at that speed to keep it in EV mode, rather than bring it up to 55 or so when I know ev will kick off with that acceleration. So a bit of babying that I'm sure will wear off in a few weeks - not sure how much that actually will impact gas mileage. Once again, my commute is not a good one for gas mileage so I don't think that is a good representation. I tend to get about 48 on the way into work (more downhill but still lots of uphill stretches ) and 37 or so on the way back home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.