97 accord automatic transmission problems - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 PM
insomnia rules me :(

Exclamation 97 accord automatic transmission problems

ok so my transmission has been flaring up at the end of gears allot lately, so i changed the transmission fluid a few times, and it did not seem to help to much, other than making it a little smoother when shifting gears.

at first it only was slipping when it was cold on a cold day, but is now doing it when it is warmer out, and the car is cold/warm

i plan on replacing the fluid every time i change the oil to help keep the transmission going as long as i can.

but there has to be a better solution. i don't have the money to take it anywhere, so anything i do i have to do myself. with that being said i think i can do anything with enough research, and some help from friends, and DA

what is the deal with the filters? i know there internal, but how much work is it to change it? can it be done with the transmission in the car, or dose the transmission have to be removed?

princess can you get me the pdf's for my transmission?
i am not sure what i need yet, but worst case i will have to replace the transmission, and that is what i need to look into, so there are no surprises.

i will do as much as i can to this one, but there is not much i can do to it unless i remove it i think, and at that point it is not going back in there unless it is rebuilt, or i have a new/rebuilt one to take its place.

so any help/suggestions would be much appreciated please

also how many miles should my 5th gen trans last?
it seems early in its life to start dieing, but this is my first honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcool
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make www.vwvortex.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
What a trip

When mine started slipping, I too thought it was just a clogged filter or something simple causing my headaches. I spent a couple hundred dollars trying everything I could find to get the transmision through the day, including replacing the shift selenoid packs. It got to the point where the car became very unreliable and quite frankly dangerous. Jump on a highway and transmission slips -- no thanks! Stop Light turns green, I start to go and then transmission slips, leaving me in the middle of the road-- no thanks!!

I just finished re-building mine. It was not a same day project!! It took me 3 days.

Day 1, pulled everything apart and inspected. Went to transmission parts house and got a "Banner Kit" and carrier bearing. Next, off to the auto parts store for two new axles and seals, rear main seal, and a torque convertor. Also found a bad lower ball joint on one side when taking it apart, so I need one of those.

Day 2 put everything together and reinstalled. ( I hated doing this!!)

Day 3, had to pull one axle and replace seal that got damaged when shoving the axle back into the transmission.

My costs were as follows Banner Kit- 290, torque converter 150, Axles 47, seals 10, main seal 8.50, bearing 20, ball joint 10, another seal 10, Honda fluid, 1 case, 12 quarts 102. For a total of 704.50.

The repair shops around here wanted 2400 to 2800 to do the job. Another alternative I looked into was going to the junkyard and just doing a swap and hoping for the best. I decided that if I bought a junk yard transmission at around 400, I would not be happy not knowing what was inside the case. I was unable to fully verify the mileage on every transmission I found. I find it funny that they all say they only have 45 to 60 k miles on them. I do not believe that for a second!!

David
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 AM
What a trip

When mine started slipping, I too thought it was just a clogged filter or something simple causing my headaches. I spent a couple hundred dollars trying everything I could find to get the transmision through the day, including replacing the shift selenoid packs. It got to the point where the car became very unreliable and quite frankly dangerous. Jump on a highway and transmission slips -- no thanks! Stop Light turns green, I start to go and then transmission slips, leaving me in the middle of the road-- no thanks!!

I just finished re-building mine. It was not a same day project!! It took me 3 days.

Day 1, pulled everything apart and inspected. Went to transmission parts house and got a "Banner Kit" and carrier bearing. Next, off to the auto parts store for two new axles and seals, rear main seal, and a torque convertor. Also found a bad lower ball joint on one side when taking it apart, so I need one of those.

Day 2 put everything together and reinstalled. ( I hated doing this!!)

Day 3, Found leak and had to pull one axle and replace seal that got damaged when shoving the axle back into the transmission.

My costs were as follows Banner Kit- 290, torque converter 150, Axles 47, seals 10, main seal 8.50, bearing 20, ball joint 10, another seal 10, Honda fluid, 1 case, 12 quarts 102. For a total of 704.50.

The repair shops around here wanted 2400 to 2800 to do the job. Another alternative I looked into was going to the junkyard and just doing a swap and hoping for the best. I decided that if I bought a junk yard transmission at around 400, I would not be happy not knowing what was inside the case. I was unable to fully verify the mileage on every transmission I found. I find it funny that they all say they only have 45 to 60 k miles on them. I do not believe that for a second!!

I would advise that you take it to smeone else to do the work. I found out after the fact that I could have had all this done for around 1300 using a backyard transmission mechanic After what I went through, it would have been worth that to me. Good news is I have a new transmission-- no bull here!!

David
Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 AM
6th Gear

The transmission is currently being replaced in my 96 Accord with a reman. unit to the tune of $1200 by a family friend/senior Honda tech. in New Orleans, though I hear this repair can usually cost upwards of $2500. I sold the car back in November of 2005 with 167,000 miles (initially purchased with 45k miles) and just recently bought it back with the bad transmission. The car now has 218,000 miles. According to the previous owner, the transmission had been shifting fine until he was heading to work one morning on I-10 when it all of a sudden felt as if it had dropped out of gear and was in neutral. The engine just revved and the car wouldn't accelerate. The fluid level checked out okay and during the time that I owned the car, I had the fluid changed every 30k miles with Honda ATF only.

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 PM

wow thanks for the replys, i guess i just need to go buy a used transmission, and rebuild it slowly so i can take my sweet time

i can just have it sitting around just in case, and change it one day when i can use my friends shop, and tools, since i don't own an engine lift, or do you even need a engine lift?

i guess i need to pm princess for a few pdf's then.
not looking froward to this, but i need to start getting everything ready because i have no idea when it is just going to go south on me. it has been slipping since i bought it a year ago, but it is slowly getting worse.
at least i will know how to rebuild a transmission when this is said and done.

maybe i can even rebuild my old one and sell it to gain back the money lost.

Quote:
u kiddin me, mkiv's are the messiah, suffering for other cars so all the bastard children hondas can roam problem free, ignorant of the sacrifice all us dubbers make www.vwvortex.com
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM

i used this when i did the transmission fluid, it helped a little, but not much
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM

just for the hell of it. i am being serious though.

would it even be possible to change it to a 5-speed manual?
i know it would be allot of work, but if i happen to come across a wrecked 5-speed, would it even be possible?
i hate automatics with a passion, and this car is to reliable to get rid of it, just to get a standard. so i figured if i am going to have to rebuild the transmission then i might as well get what i want at the same time.
what would i need the ecu? pedals of coarse, the instrument panel? or can i leave the automatic one in? i don't care about the P R N D4 D3 2 1 on it.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
What a trip

yes, it can go either way, automatic to manual or manual to automatic. Yes there is work to do, but it can be done!

If you are going to do that, consider getting rid of that f22b2 and getting a H22 DOHC VTEC with the 5 speed LSD. hmm-- and add turbo!!

Do not forget about things like new clutch, bearings, cables, exhaust, MAF, ECU, TCU if you are really thinking about doing this.
You can get up there in money when doing a performance engine and swap of powerplants and drive lines.

A budget of 4-6k would get it all done nicely!! 3k no turbo, 6k turbo and engine rotating assembly upgrade (pistons, crank, rods, head polishing)

David
Old 02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
What a trip

I also would not waste my money on the Lucas or anti slip stuff having been there and done that.

David
Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Why convert it to a 5spd to still have that 130HP non VTEC motor? Boring!

Just sell it and find yourself an EX 5spd. There are more than you'd think out there.

My trans is 117k miles old almost, and it seems to be doing fine. 97 Accords have a redesigned transmission unit that is VERY similar to the one found on 6th generation Accords. The redesign was for smoother shifting and better acceleration performance. I worked at a Honda/Acura shop for a summer (friend owns it) and we had a loaner car identical to mine but a 97; it was on it's 3rd transmission by 245k miles.

I expect my unit to last just as long if not longer than the one in ItsaHondas Accord. I guess I need to not drive it so hard. I too, replace the fluid every 30k, but I think I'll get it done every 15k from now on as that would be just over a year in between intervals.

Personally, I'll never buy another 'Honda'matic. - The 5 and 6spds are just so much more fun anyways!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM
ready to go....

Send a message via AIM to princess
here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 97 AT removal.pdf (273.2 KB, 1220 views)
File Type: pdf 97 AT installation.pdf (282.2 KB, 795 views)

(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_)(_/_)(_l_)(_\_)(__)(_l_) butt dance.

the latest in a long line of Hondas:

Ours: '06 Ridgeline RTL with Nav Steel Blue, rear view & cargo cameras, iVES, hitch, INfinity speakers, running boards, alternate front grille, garnish, roof rack, now with 18" Ridgeline rims

little '98 Civic sedan, everything still works! Named Mater.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
here you go:
thanks again princess, your a life saver.

now i just need to go grab my laptop so i can view them, i forgot to install a pdf viewer on this computer

if i happen to run across a 5th gen standard, i will grab it to do the 5-speed swap, but i am not going to replace the engine with a different one, and add a turbo. i just don't have the money for all that, and don't really need it, i just want a really reliable car...hints the 5-speed but after i get out of college, then thats a different story.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Is selling the 97 and buying a different one with a stick not an option?

Many many great 5g's out there. Esp. in texas.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 AM
What a trip

I have to agree-- getting one with the 5 speed already in is the best option when budget is low. It can then be built up and redone over time. Keep us posted on your project.

David
Old 02-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordlover View Post
Is selling the 97 and buying a different one with a stick not an option?

Many many great 5g's out there. Esp. in texas.
i would rather just keep this one if i can, since it is paid off...
But taking out a small loan to get it done is an option.

i think i still have a while before my transmission goes out, it is getting better, i think a few more drain/refills should last me at least a year, that should give me plenty of time to get ready for the swap, or decide it is too much trouble, and just rebuild my automatic.

if i sell the car i will most likely just get a new accord, but i want to wait till the diesels come out. so this one is just going to have to last me.
If i do convert it to standard, thin i will most likely keep it for allot longer, and just run it till it dies like stiller.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.