B1 Service 250$ - what the....? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 AM
5th Gear

B1 Service 250$ - what the....?

Hi All

I had my car for the service yesterday. About 11 thousad miles (18000 km) on the odometer. They charged me about 250 $ for the B1 service, what the hell? This is the second service for this car, I just went ahead with what they suggested....The price was a bit of a shocker.

They didn't quote the price in advance, but I brought the car in for body work and asked them to do the service as well because the oil dropped to 15% right before that.
The collision guy was writing the order and just made a note somewhere to do the service as well. No price quiote, I guess because it was not their regular service writer, so I can see where the lack of communication came from, and that's ok, I will be more careful next time.

But what kinda shocks me is the price itself. Effectively they did the oil change and tire rotation, and a good chunk of the charge was labour for various inpections. Darn, why there should be so much inspecing on a such a low mileage car???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Carpe Diem, Carpe Viam...

Before I started doing my own oil changes, I always told them just to do the oil and nothing else. Really, if they did proper inspections I might pay every now and then (so long as I am under warranty), but really, I doubt they look at much...I mean I've heard stories that the electrical test is if the car turns over and doesn't stall/radio works, the suspension check if if there are any issues driving it into the bay, etc etc.
TIRES: 215/50R17 Fuzion ZRIs, 205/60R16 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s (on steelies)
Previous Car: 1995 White Pontiac Sunfire 5MT Coupe 410,000KM - R.I.P
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Damn. Proctor honda in tallahassee charge $100 for the same service. I noticed a change in driving it. Was this at a dealership?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07HAEXLV6 View Post
Damn. Proctor honda in tallahassee charge $100 for the same service. I noticed a change in driving it. Was this at a dealership?
Midtown Honda in Toronto. Well, maybe canadian pricing is different, but then, I don't think I ever paid that much for oil and rotation for any car I had including a civic serviced at another dealership.

will keep an eye on that in the future...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
I'm not sure what a B1 service includes, I mean what does it say they did?

$250's a hell of a lot cheaper than it costs to take my old C240 in for a 'B' service if that's any consolation.

Dealer's have a habit of 'creating' their own service packages. My dealer knows that "if it ain't in the book (owners manual) I ain't payin' for it."
Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordlover View Post
I'm not sure what a B1 service includes, I mean what does it say they did?

$250's a hell of a lot cheaper than it costs to take my old C240 in for a 'B' service if that's any consolation.

Dealer's have a habit of 'creating' their own service packages. My dealer knows that "if it ain't in the book (owners manual) I ain't payin' for it."
i don't have the order on me right now, but from a quick scan yesterday i got the impression that's it's a whole lot of nothing other than oil and rotation...
haven't looked in the manual yet, but i have a disctinct feeling of having been hosed I am thinking of getting a new 14 mp camera in spring/early summer and 150$ can mean a difference between a crappy lens and a decent one

...then of course what I paid for the body work can mean a difference between a 14 mp camera and no camera so this logic is flawed
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM

Raised that thread from the dead.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9671

Found this at Hondacity.com (http://www.hondacity.com/service.htm) Click on Maintenance Minder. It states that the B/B1 service is 176.88 and it includes the following:

Replace engine oil* and filter
Service front and rear brakes
Inspect parking brake adjustments
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Rotate tires **, inspect for wear and adjust pressure
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect fuel lines and connections

However 176.88 is a little expensive for a majority of looking and inspecting, mainly looking.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Raised that thread from the dead.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9671

Replace engine oil* and filter
Service front and rear brakes
Inspect parking brake adjustments
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Rotate tires **, inspect for wear and adjust pressure
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect fuel lines and connections.
Sounds like what I had. Now, the question is why all that is needed at such low mileage.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
I specify for the service dept to do a tire rotation and oil change. I don't do the A/B services. Rather, I inspect air filters and other fluids regularly and replace as needed.

Even before MMS, there were many dealers that would "over service" cars at the recommended mileage intervals. I would think this might be the case even more so today. Because MMS is extending oil change intervals, the dealers won't have the regular 3,000 mile interval visits. Seems likely that the "recommended" service stops would cost more to cover the steady, more frequent flow of work they're loosing.

Anyone on the inside care to comment? I'm curious how the extended intervals are affecting service departments.

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 AM

I wouldn't know but I understand why the B1 service would be good to car when it is brand new. Check and see if nothing broken during the initial break in period.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
I wouldn't know but I understand why the B1 service would be good to car when it is brand new. Check and see if nothing broken during the initial break in period.
in theory I might agree, but in practice I don't recall unusually pricey services like this with my other new cars in the past.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Very true. I would go and in person find out the price breakdown of the charge for that service. Unless they found something and replaced it and charged you for it, which is wrong, that could explain it.

I personally never seen dealer set prices except on the cars. Yet, it could happen.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Used to Drive a Hummer H2

The required maintenance for each service is outlined in your owners manual. Just specify that they do that (Like just an oil change + tire rotation), and skip all the fluffy, Dollar adding, "inspect this and that''

'05 Hummer Accord EX-L 4cyl/auto Navi

The legendary 20 MPG and Below-er

'07 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Navi/Bluetooth/VSC/Smartkey Sky Blue / Ash
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
6th Gear

If the maintenance is nothing more than an oil change, tire rotation and inspecting a bunch of stuff, I end up doing the oil change myself, then taking it somewhere for the rotation ($20-25). It ends up being that I do every other oil change myself. I figure that having them inspect the stuff every other time is sufficient (comes out to about once a year)... plus like Conundrum said... many times the "inspection" simply means that they just looking for leaks or turning things on/off. I can do that as well as they can.

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Yet the price for the service is dealer set. However, different prices for the same service is a little extreme because labor is usually the same charge at the 4 honda dealerships I have been to, depending on the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.