2014 Coupe EX-L, H11 or H11b? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM
2nd Gear

2014 Coupe EX-L, H11 or H11b?

I'm confused, what does our car use for low beam? H11 or h11b?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear

Halogen - H11

HID - H11b

The "b" indicates that the HID capsule return wire is rotated 180 degrees when compared to an H11 capsule. The Honda reflector works better with an H11b.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 AM
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Thumbs up

One of the best mods I did to my car, going with H9 instead of H11, the difference is incredible for the price.

I tried the HID kit route, got rid of it, because of blinding on-coming cars/drivers.

I purchased THESE from Home Depot.

I cut the tab with a razor knife (Box Cutter) look at THIS for what I'm talking about.

Trust me you will be very happy with the H9 vs H11.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM
4th Gear

H11"B" specifically if you end up buying from TRS (sold under their XB35 moniker). For whatever reason, other aftermarket vendors (including DDM, and even quite a few generic eBay ones) had the return wire in the correct orientation for their plain H11 bulbs; which goes to show the quality control in aftermarket parts.

Husker's alternative recommendation is solid, though, and worth pursuing if you value true night time visibility and safety.
HID Retrofit: Custom 4G Acura TL "Mini H1/Bi-Xenon" Projectors - Denso Slim D2S - Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI 5000K | Acura TLX V6 25.4 mm RSB | Husky WeatherBeater | Cargo Hooks | Horn Upgrade | Full Interior LEDs | Debaged
Old 01-01-2014, 02:56 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker View Post
One of the best mods I did to my car, going with H9 instead of H11, the difference is incredible for the price.

I tried the HID kit route, got rid of it, because of blinding on-coming cars/drivers.

I cut the tab with a razor knife (Box Cutter) look at THIS for what I'm talking about.

Truly one of the cheapest and best gains for the money on lighting there is for us non/anti HID folks.

Best improvement for night driving there is. Pretty safe also. You will like it for sure and there is a big difference especially if you go to a Silverstar or Piaa bulb. But even a plain Jane bulb gives you great benefits with little fuss or expense.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:16 AM
2014 V6 Sedan

I love my new xb35/zenex ballast setup. For less than a hundred bucks the difference is night and day seriously.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:

All you did was cut off the top tab from the H9 bulb as shown in the picture from the other thread. Also, how "white" are your low beams when looking at your car straight on?

Not sure if I should go this route again as I did on my 2008 Accord or go HIDs which I would love to try.

3M 35% Color Stable Tint | Xenon Depot Xtreme Kit w/ Philips Bulbs | exLED interior LEDs | 5k LED parking & DRLs |WeatherTech mats | debadged
Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 AM
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by crea78 View Post
All you did was cut off the top tab from the H9 bulb as shown in the picture from the other thread. Also, how "white" are your low beams when looking at your car straight on?

Not sure if I should go this route again as I did on my 2008 Accord or go HIDs which I would love to try.
Yep, Just cut the tab. They are very bright and the cutoff is below on coming drivers windshields.

HID is brighter, but ,the only way to do it right is very expensive.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 AM
4th Gear

Quote:

Yep, cut off the tab but file it down so that it is smooth and flat, making it easier to install the plug back in.

It is a bit whiter than the stock H11 halogens, but don't expect anywhere near HID color temperatures. The best way to describe it is that the intensity is much higher.
HID Retrofit: Custom 4G Acura TL "Mini H1/Bi-Xenon" Projectors - Denso Slim D2S - Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI 5000K | Acura TLX V6 25.4 mm RSB | Husky WeatherBeater | Cargo Hooks | Horn Upgrade | Full Interior LEDs | Debaged
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Yep, Just cut the tab. They are very bright and the cutoff is below on coming drivers windshields.

HID is brighter, but ,the only way to do it right is very expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertash View Post
Yep, cut off the tab but file it down so that it is smooth and flat, making it easier to install the plug back in.

It is a bit whiter than the stock H11 halogens, but don't expect anywhere near HID color temperatures. The best way to describe it is that the intensity is much higher.
For the price for improved light, I will give these a shot. Thanks

3M 35% Color Stable Tint | Xenon Depot Xtreme Kit w/ Philips Bulbs | exLED interior LEDs | 5k LED parking & DRLs |WeatherTech mats | debadged
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

H11b, the HID makes the car looks more luxury
The Following User Says Thank You to sutaji For This Useful Post:
MartyV6 (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM
2014 V6 Sedan

Quote:

You should try the All Star Kit mentioned elsewhere here. If you want HIDs, then you will be disappointed with the H9. It just gives you more of the yellowish halogen light. You don't get that white blanket of light that xenons give. Plus you'll be replacing the H9 bulbs very often. Their life is a fraction of a normal H11. So if you're gonna go that route, buy a 6 pack

My Accord now looks like an Acura or Lexus or BMW or something. <$100 for the All Star Kit, plus $10 for some LED replacements for the license plate lights and all interior lights.

Just try the HIDs if that's what you want. Don't listen to the naysayers on here who tell you the only CORRECT way is a full projector retrofit. They are technically correct but PRACTICALLY-speaking our projectors are fine for swapping in the HID bulb. They are worried about the last 1% of perfection. I am happy with the 99% of HID goodness that I have without spending a lot of time and MONEY to get that last 1%.....
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyV6 For This Useful Post:
ThatsABigOne (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post
You should try the All Star Kit mentioned elsewhere here. If you want HIDs, then you will be disappointed with the H9. It just gives you more of the yellowish halogen light. You don't get that white blanket of light that xenons give. Plus you'll be replacing the H9 bulbs very often. Their life is a fraction of a normal H11. So if you're gonna go that route, buy a 6 pack

My Accord now looks like an Acura or Lexus or BMW or something. <$100 for the All Star Kit, plus $10 for some LED replacements for the license plate lights and all interior lights.

Just try the HIDs if that's what you want. Don't listen to the naysayers on here who tell you the only CORRECT way is a full projector retrofit. They are technically correct but PRACTICALLY-speaking our projectors are fine for swapping in the HID bulb. They are worried about the last 1% of perfection. I am happy with the 99% of HID goodness that I have without spending a lot of time and MONEY to get that last 1%.....
Wait until you have to drive at night in a heavy snowstorm or fog. As you're being blinded by your own headlights that "last 1%" is going to feel a lot more important.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:58 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyV6 View Post

That's funny. Your so called last "1%" is what allows proper HID projectors to shine light far down the road, and wide down the sides - not down, directly into the foreground, right in front of you, as the optics of the halogen projectors are designed to do. Since you claimed in the "all star" thread that you don't do a lot of night time driving (let alone, be far from home), I would suggest you not make bold statements about "practicality" that could at best prove to be unhelpful, and at worst, be a serious detriment.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that your money saving "all star kit" is a hazard in poor weather conditions - not to mention just general night time driving on completely unlit roads, where your own headlights are your only (blinding) source of light. Try to see if you can find the white dashed lines when it is pouring rain, or in a blizzard, on a highway with other drivers, who also share your sentiments to mismatch HID bulbs and halogen reflectors/projectors. Hopefully you didn't get the bright idea to put in color matching HID's or non-functional LED's in your fog lights when driving in those conditions either.

It's comical you mention replacing the H9 bulbs often - I'm at the 3 month mark and both bulbs are still holding up fine. At $6-7 a pop, per bulb, they aren't really cheap, but it's not exactly going to put you in the red either if you have to change them out once or twice a year. Sure the OEM rated lifespan is quite low, but you are also depending on your aftermarket HID bulbs to hold up to the OEM spec'd lifespans as well. Whether if you trust them that much is entirely up to you, but I would certainly put my money on the likes of Philips or Sylvania/Osram then... wait, who makes TRS's bulbs again?

In the end, a true HID kit is more than just a pretty flood of white light, and a cutoff line. Your kit may look like it came from an Acura/Lexus/BMW, but it certainly does not perform like them.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:47 PM
5th Gear

I was also looking at the All Star Kit but for the price of the H9s, I can also get other LEDs for my car + front seat WeatherTech mats. I did have H9s before and they lasted close to 4 years, but was weighing my options again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.