2014 Honda Accord Sport (Manual Transmission) - Replacement of Transmission Oil? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

2014 Honda Accord Sport (Manual Transmission) - Replacement of Transmission Oil?

There should be a limit to how many questions a N00b can get away with before getting face-punched. I'm trying not to exceed mine.

On a 2014 2014 Honda Accord Sport (Manual Transmission), is there a need to change the transmission oil like we have to with the Autos? If yes, then at what intervals?

Thanks guys....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM
4th Gear

It's about 40000km which is about 24000/25000 miles. It'll also pop up on the maintenance minded as sub item #3 when the it's time to have it changed
Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 PM
5th Gear

Unless Honda has vastly changed its recommendations with regard to manual transmissions (which I doubt), there is no "need" to change the MTF before 105k miles, which is what the written owners' manuals stated. Of course, Honda enthusiasts rarely accept that advice, preferring instead to head out in search of the perfect MTF.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:19 AM
4th Gear

I'm going to change my MTF at 15k miles. Going with redline MTF.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 AM
6th Gear

id stick with Honda mtf personally.

as are as interval follow the maintenance minder - 3 indicator on gauge - or about every 3 years/60,000 miles.

Is that 105k interval for 'normal' conditions?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:22 AM
6MT JUNKIE

I went with Motul MTF and love it!!! Really performs well under high heat unlike the Honda.....changed @20k miles

2013 Accord Crystal Black Pearl 6MT........Parted out SOLD
Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTechAV6 View Post
. . . Is that 105k interval for 'normal' conditions?
Good question. I dug out the last two owners' manuals I still have for pre-MM Hondas. As I mentioned above, for manual transmission Hondas, the "normal service" interval was 105k miles. (Pretty incredible, actually.)

In response to your question, I pulled out the three MM owners' manuals I have, and none differentiate between ATF & MTF automobiles. That said, I find it hard to believe that Honda now expects owners of Sport MT Accords to change MTF as often as CVT owners change theirs. There's simply no need for that. Doing so would also be completely at odds with literally decades of Honda's prior recommendations regarding MT automobiles. (In this regard, I assume you know that Honda also stated (and still states) that 10W-30 motor oil can be substituted for MTF in a pinch. And I've done that, too -- mixing Honda MTF with Mobil 1 5W-30 in a 50-50 ratio. Works great, btw.)

In any case, as I said before, most Honda gearheads change their MTF much more often than is recommended in their quest for the perfect MTF. To each his own.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Out of Control

Talking

How often is enough to be safe rather than sorry. If Honda recommends changing the manual transmission fluid at 105,000 miles is it twice as good to change it at 52,000 miles? Or four times as good by changing it at 26,000 miles. Why not change your engine oil monthly and change the transmission oil twice a year regardless of milage?

The only things one can't have enough of is good looks, money, hard drive space and common sense.
San Marino Red 172,000 miles and still counting!
2007 Fit Sport Silver 56,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2, 63 VW Bug, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder, 70 Toyota Crown, 59 Vauxhall Victor (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:35 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
Good question. I dug out the last two owners' manuals I still have for pre-MM Hondas. As I mentioned above, for manual transmission Hondas, the "normal service" interval was 105k miles.
MTF does not get hot like ATF. I see no point changing out MTF before 100K miles.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 AM
'13 Silver EX Sedan M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Runner View Post
MTF does not get hot like ATF. I see no point changing out MTF before 100K miles.
I am learning that Honda owners love throwing money at unnecessary fluid changes and maintenance...

Jay
Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM
5th Gear

I changed my 2011 LX Gen 8 manual trans at 40,000 miles (20 months). I plan to change again at 75,000. I did it myself so it was cheap to do.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

In response to your question, I pulled out the three MM owners' manuals I have, and none differentiate between ATF & MTF automobiles.
this is true but we have nothing else to go off of so it is what it is.

Quote:
for stock and normal driving applications I'd stick with Honda MTF, changing it 3yrs/60k personally, unless I know I drove it hard for a good period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfreek View Post
I am learning that Honda owners love throwing money at unnecessary fluid changes and maintenance...

Jay
they sure do. it pays my bills - but that's my business. preventative maintenance. failures are usually warranty and few and far between.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTechAV6 View Post
they sure do. it pays my bills - but that's my business. preventative maintenance. failures are usually warranty and few and far between.
Not if we do our own work on our cars. I have taken in my car once in the past 12 years to make a new key. That was it. There is no gurantee my car will come out better than when it went in.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Not to suggest the current Honda manual transmissions still have the dreaded 3rd gear pop out of the 7th and 8th Gen Accords, however that problem was solved by many owners with just substituting GM Friction Modified Synchromesh fluid, well before the 60K or 100K miles was up.

Now that was with the 6 speed manual transmission, how the current transmissions fair is still too early to tell.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 01-04-2014, 05:03 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Not if we do our own work on our cars. I have taken in my car once in the past 12 years to make a new key. That was it. There is no gurantee my car will come out better than when it went in.
true, but most of you guys complain about ridiculously small and petty things, so I'm glad I don't have to deal with that! (I don't let anyone touch my car too, and do my repairs and get paid to lol)

PM work usually doesn't have your car feeling any better than when it came in anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.