2014 accord wind noise - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

2014 accord wind noise

I know this issue has been brought up before for 2013 models but does anyone other than me have driver and passenger side wind noise issue from B pillar for 2014 Accord? It happens only on hwy, 65mph+. I thought it was fixed in 2014 models but not for mine.

Today, I went to the Honda dealer in Tysons Corner, VA to check it out and mentioned about the TSB 13-010. They said since my car is 2014 model, the Vin number for TSB 13-010 doesn't apply. They said they can't fix it on the spot according to TSB 13-010 procedure D (which is for me) without a test drive to duplicate the problem. Well... I went in the morning with traffic and it rained a bit so i understand they have no road to drive 65mph+ in traffic. But the problem is they told me if they do a test drive with me and if mechanic can't detect any wind noise then I would have to pay for the diagnosis fee since Honda won't pay them. Yes this is Honda dealer. Is this make sense? Really?

I've had VW, Toyota, Lexus, and Hyundai and never heard of paying diagnosis fee for brand new car before, even if the mechanic can't find a problem. This is my first Honda and it kind of surprised me.

I know there is wind noise but I'm just worried what if the mechanic is too lazy and just say there is no wind noise he can detect after the test drive or come up with BS reasons and refuse to fix then I have to pay the diagnosis fee for a brand new car? any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM
6th Gear

I wouldn't pay the charge because as you stated it is a new vehicle still under warranty. If that is your only Honda dealership in your area I would ask for the service manager or the general manager. If that doesn't help I'd call Honda directly for possible assistance. If you have another dealership in your area try them regarding your problem. I've found that you often get different results at different dealerships. The Siri update is a classic example.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
4th Gear

You can do the fix yourself with $10 in weatherstripping. Search the other threads. There are some very elaborate well detailed how-to's on the procedure.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
'13 Silver EX Sedan M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibig82 View Post
I know this issue has been brought up before for 2013 models but does anyone other than me have driver and passenger side wind noise issue from B pillar for 2014 Accord? It happens only on hwy, 65mph+. I thought it was fixed in 2014 models but not for mine.

Today, I went to the Honda dealer in Tysons Corner, VA to check it out and mentioned about the TSB 13-010. They said since my car is 2014 model, the Vin number for TSB 13-010 doesn't apply. They said they can't fix it on the spot according to TSB 13-010 procedure D (which is for me) without a test drive to duplicate the problem. Well... I went in the morning with traffic and it rained a bit so i understand they have no road to drive 65mph+ in traffic. But the problem is they told me if they do a test drive with me and if mechanic can't detect any wind noise then I would have to pay for the diagnosis fee since Honda won't pay them. Yes this is Honda dealer. Is this make sense? Really?

I've had VW, Toyota, Lexus, and Hyundai and never heard of paying diagnosis fee for brand new car before, even if the mechanic can't find a problem. This is my first Honda and it kind of surprised me.

I know there is wind noise but I'm just worried what if the mechanic is too lazy and just say there is no wind noise he can detect after the test drive or come up with BS reasons and refuse to fix then I have to pay the diagnosis fee for a brand new car? any thoughts?
Call your salesman. Explain that you are not happy, ask for help. If he blows you off explain that you will reflect this in the 10+ surveys you will get in the following months from Honda about your Car and purchase experience.

Sit back and watch them trip over themselves to get this resolved.

Jay
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
ШОС Лукашенко!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohonda View Post
You can do the fix yourself with $10 in weatherstripping. Search the other threads. There are some very elaborate well detailed how-to's on the procedure.
Correct, here it is: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...&postcount=410
-19mm front sway bar for V6 models, 22mm Progress rear sway bar,
-K&N Typhoon Intake, custom front and rear mudlaps, full upper grille block,
-G1W as dash camera.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohonda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsABigOne View Post

Why should he have to go the DIY route? It's a freakin' brand new car!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to user320 For This Useful Post:
canddmeyer (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM
5th Gear

Do you see the weatherstrip once it us all done?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear

i finally have to chime in on this subject.because i have been reading all these posts about the B pillar wind noise and no one really knows what that true cause is.well i think i have figured it out.
a few months back i was watching a cable TV show and they were showing how a new car is effected air turbulence .this one designer talked about how the air travels along the side of the car and how the "SIDE MIRRORS" design effect this air flow.if these mirrors are not designed properly they will create air turbulence and more drag along the rest of the car.
So after seeing this and the next time i was on the freeway.i rolled down my drivers window and there was that crazy B pillar sound behind my head.so i stuck my hand out the window and next to the side mirror.only really trying to reroute the air flow around the mirror and to my surprise the noise stop at the B pillar.the sweet spot is right where the side mirror attaches to the door,that little gap.
the mirror is creating air turbulence that is hitting the B pillar and that is noise you hear.now doing the whole weather stripping thing will help lessen the noise but a real fix is a new redesign of the side mirror.i hope this clears up the mystery of the B pillar noise………...
window tint 35% front/20% rear

Billy M
The Following User Says Thank You to 13BLACK For This Useful Post:
VtecDynamics (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Former H Master Tech

You brought a TSB to a dealership with a statement saying this is happening to your car, but your car that does not apply anywhere near those VIN numbers. That means honda knows there was an issue and it was fixed way before your production date. Therefore they will just blow you off as some "know it all" who did a google search on accord problems.
If you would have simply walked in and stated that you had a wind noise, they would have diagnosed the problem for you. You have no idea how many crazy people come in stating they heard or felt or saw something this one time and they swear the car is now unsafe... But there is absolutely nothing wrong with their car after thorough inspection. The service advisors weed out the "unnecessary" complaints (such as low tire lights) at the door, and the way you presented your issue it fell within that category. Let the techs do the work, don't try to diagnose or lead them to the problem.

PS: I'm a "retired" Honda Master tech I just so happen to know the service manager and Shop Foreman at that dealer too, PM me if you would like further help having them resolve this for you. They are a phenomenal service department BTW, ranked 3rd in the nation!
14' Accord Sport CVT- 19x10/8.5 Vossen CV1, K-Sport Coilovers, Touring LED Headlights & Taillights, HID fogs, exLED int lights, SPC camber kit, TL-SH RSB, 15% tint, MB Quart Speakers & 8" Sub, JBL amp, PIAA Horns, Injen CAI, HFP body kit, Rem Start... ect
05' Mitsubishi Evo VIII- 641AWHP Full blown Time Attack race car
06' Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4- 457WHP/893WTQ lifted on 35" tire
09' Honda CR-V EX-L AWD- Wifey's
Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BLACK View Post
the mirror is creating air turbulence that is hitting the B pillar and that is noise you hear.now doing the whole weather stripping thing will help lessen the noise but a real fix is a new redesign of the side mirror.i hope this clears up the mystery of the B pillar noise………...

Somewhat related to this: I had a Subaru Legacy that had a whistling sound at highway speed. Drove me nuts. Finally figured out it was the airflow around the outside edge of the side mirror. I added a piece of rough textured tape that you would find at a marine store to make a step be non-slip. I applied it to the outside edge of the mirror and it stopped the whistle. Disrupting the airflow fixed the noise. Might try that on your Accord mirror. The tape comes in black, gray and white, I believe, so you might find a color that blends in a bit.
At least it's a cheap try.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Austin, TX

My '13 Accord EX-L sedan had excessive wind noise since day one. It was more a constant sound like the window was not up all the way. On top of that, there was a very loud turbulence sound with a headwind or crosswind.

I had my car in the shop for something else this week, but brought up the wind noise issue. My VIN doesn't fall into the range of the existing TSB. Anyway, my service rep told me that the technicians made some sort of adjustment to the driver's side window, but I need to request more information so that I can report it here. When I picked up my car, I immediately drove south on the nearest freeway for a test drive because there was a very stiff breeze coming from the south. Lo and behold, there was virtually none of the sound that the window wasn't up all the way. I could hear slight turbulence, probably from the mirror, but nothing at all significant. Previously, when other vehicles drove by, the noise was from the vehicles was loud. Now, however, I can barely hear them unless there's a motorcycle or large truck.

Heading back north with a tailwind, the cabin was almost silent except for some minor pavement noise.

So at this point I'm a very happy camper. I'll try to find out what the technicians did, and report it here.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

they might have tightened the door latch so the door gets pulled in tighter against the seals.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:20 AM
4th Gear

Or maybe just applied a little "force" to the top corner of the door frame
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Or maybe just applied a little "force" to the top corner of the door frame
I heard back this morning, and it did have to do with the door frame. The service rep said the technicians "tightened the door frame". Specifically how that was done, I don't know.

Could be that some of these wind noise problems are similar to mine.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
4th Gear

I had lots of wind noise on my F150 and it drove me crazy. It was just like you experienced, it only happened at highway speeds and especially in a crosswind. I basically just grabbed the top corner of the window frame and adjusted (bent ) it towards the truck's door jamb. Problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.