Clicking/Cracking sound when braking - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Clicking/Cracking sound when braking

I have an 03 Accord and I've been noticing a clicking/cracking sound in rhythm with my wheels. It only happens when I'm braking. I usually cant hear it unless i'm going pretty slow. If I'm going REALLY slow (braking while in idle) I can hear it go "click...........click...........click" with the wheels...

What could it be!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Don't need no 4th gear!

Well the first obvious thing to rule out would be some kind of physical interference with the wheels - ie. a "card" in the spokes. Put the car in park, start it up (so you've got full power to the brakes) then have someone operate the brakes while you peek under the car and up into the inside of the wheels. (Looking with the wheels off is also an option.)

The idea there is to rule out that the operation of the brakes could somehow be moving something into contact with your wheels.

The only other thing I can think of would be an issue with your CV joints (which is what I'd put my money on). While you're under there, inspect the boots for tears/splits. Generally, CV joints don't start to fail until the boots start to come apart, so if the boots are intact you can pretty safely rule them out as a problem. (Be sure to check all the way around in each "mountain" and "valley" of the boot. Once a hole appears crud starts to get in and lubricant starts to get out, and the joint will wear out pretty quickly after that.)

Another good indication of CV joint failure is that clicking noise being particularly pronounced during turning (usually acceleration combined with turning).

I've known people that drove with bad CV joints for months (my mechanically ignorant father, for one), but I've never been able to stand the noise longer than a week. On most cars the CV joints aren't too bad to replace yourself, either. You'll probably have to borrow a couple specialized tools from Autozone or somewhere, and maybe bribe a buddy with a 6-pack to lend a hand (many hands make light work), but it's not a complicated job.

If you check and you can't find anything contacting the wheels, and the CV boots look good... well I'd have to guess there's something else wrong with the brakes, but I couldn't begin to guess what it might be. At that point I'd pull the front wheels and have a look at the calipers and rotors to see if I could spot any obvious problems/damage. If after that you still can't find the source, I'd say to call around to a few repair shops and see if you can find one that does a free (or at least very cheap) brake inspection. There's one where I live that does a basic inspection at no charge. (Ironically they're also one of the more expensive places to get the actual repairs done, so I'll let them find a problem and then either fix it myself or take it to a different garage.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.