Blind Spot Detection - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 9th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Blind Spot Detection

I am having trouble finding if the 2014 Accord COUPE EX-L With Navi has the Blind Spot detection system. The little light in the mirror that lights up when there is someone in the blind spot.

Does the accord have this feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 03:49 PM
HA-420

Negative
Kensun HIDs
VLED Fogs
Dyno Sheet
and Run
Stock exhaust at WOT
65-120 Pull
Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM
4th Gear

All the Accords EX-L and above (as far as I know) have a passenger side mirror camera that shows the blind spot. But there's no light or beeper or anything. It's visual inspection only. It's called Honda LaneWatch.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat View Post
All the Accords EX-L and above (as far as I know) have a passenger side mirror camera that shows the blind spot. But there's no light or beeper or anything. It's visual inspection only. It's called Honda LaneWatch.
Right, I know about the camera. But the light would have been much easier I think. I was just reading about the 2015 Honda Fit which has the BSD system and the camera, and was wondering why the Accord wouldn't have the light. Well maybe on the 2015.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Out of Control

The short answer is that Honda decided not to go with that technology on the Accord. Instead they went with a camera on the right side view mirror and a backup camera.
San Marino Red 172,000 miles and still counting!
2007 Fit Sport Silver 56,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2, 63 VW Bug, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder, 70 Toyota Crown, 59 Vauxhall Victor (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM
1st Gear

I would think that it would be better to have the BSMS with lights in the two mirrors than to have the camera. With the lights you immediately know if a car is there, versus via the camera it takes time to look and see if a car is there. Then on the driver side, you have to turn your head to check the blind spot.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Thunder Up!

^ I agree. I love that feature and wish it was on the Sport
Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 AM
1st Gear

Yes, and even if you set your mirrors correctly to see the blind spot, it takes a tiny bit of extra time to see if a car is there and evaluate how far back it is. At night the mirrors are even less effective for me, and it would be helpful to have the blind spot indicators lighting up.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM
3rd Gear

Properly aimed mirrors minimize the blind spot. IMO the Lanewatch camera beats an idiot light any day.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 AM
28th Gear...my leg hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddman View Post
Properly aimed mirrors minimize the blind spot. IMO the Lanewatch camera beats an idiot light any day.
This is true, but I've found that even with the mirrors properly adjusted, there is an area on the driver's side that I can't see. Maybe it's just the way I have my seat adjusted, but the B pillar blocks part of the area I would typically see in my peripheral vision. I noticed it a few times while merging onto a highway, so I decided to put a wedge mirror on the driver's side. I also did the passenger's side while I was at it, but am finding it to be redundant so I'll probably just take it back off.

Anyway, the point is there are ways to know what's in your blind spot without the warning light, so it probably shouldn't be a dealbreaker for the OP. Besides, between mirrors, a camera, and a light, the mirrors are my favorite solution because they cost $3 apiece, do the job at least as well, and you never have to worry about them failing. But I do get those who don't like the way the look or block out a corner of the side mirror... to each his own, I guess.

Previous: 2014 Accord LX MT
Beater: 1997 Camry LE AT, still kicking at 179K
Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM
6th Gear

Maybe the old Car & Driver article titled "How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots" might help if you haven't seen this already.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

I've set my mirrors pretty much as the article said since I was 16. It's always worked for me. It's extremely rare that I ever have to look back for my "blind spot". But I certainly agree that having the blind spot detection system would be a nice feature.
gt298 (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
2013 EX-L V6-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbabichev1 View Post
I am having trouble finding if the 2014 Accord COUPE EX-L With Navi has the Blind Spot detection system. The little light in the mirror that lights up when there is someone in the blind spot.

Does the accord have this feature?
Blind spots can be manually detected if your mirrors are properly aimed. See http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%8...te-Blind-Spots. No need for cameras or little lights on the mirror. It takes a while to get used to the new setup if you have had them incorrectly aimed forever, but once you're used to them, you'll never use the lane watch camera again or have to crane your neck around to check the blindspot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.