Accord vs. Competition - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Off Topic > The Pit

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Boom-shaka-laka-laka

Arrow Accord vs. Competition

Alright, so I've started a thread on whether or not a V6 is faster than a Porsche Boxter, but now I want to slightly change that question to see to which cars an 08 Accord is superior to. Now I chose "The Pit" for this question because I didn't want anyone to get pissed off about wasting space in actual gen specific sub-forums.

So the story is this: When I'm driving around in my I4, I'm always wondering what cars I can and cannot outrun when it REALLY comes down to it. I don't race on streets, I don't race period. But there is this inkling of road-rage that comes over me once in a while, and I need some hard facts from you racers. Which one of the following cars CAN I outrun behind a redlight in an 08 I4 automatic (assuming the opposing cars are automatic as well):

Hyundai Tiburon/Sonata/Alzera(or whatever its called)
Honda Civic/Fit
Lexus IS250
Nissan 350Z/Altima Coupe/Maxima
Toyota Camry/Corolla/Matrix
MAYBE even some 3 series of a C-Class
as well as any other comparable car you can think of.

These cars are predominantly "daddy's car" in the area I live in, and I encounter a lot of snotty 16 year olds behind the wheel reving their engines like its a ferrari. Being as immature as I am, I wouldn't mind teaching them a lesson. Let me know which one of the above are easy takes, and please no hardship about why I'm occasionally doing what I do

Thanks, Arash

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L, Taffeta White, HFP Kit, Tint, Fogs *Totalled*Before After
2002 Honda Civic Sedan DX, "Gold"
1990 Acura Integra White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
I was one of those "snotty 16 year olds" in my 2003 Mercedes-Benz C240 I guess...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
pro common sense!

Send a message via MSN to anysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasheht View Post
Alright, so I've started a thread on whether or not a V6 is faster than a Porsche Boxter, but now I want to slightly change that question to see to which cars an 08 Accord is superior to. Now I chose "The Pit" for this question because I didn't want anyone to get pissed off about wasting space in actual gen specific sub-forums.

So the story is this: When I'm driving around in my I4, I'm always wondering what cars I can and cannot outrun when it REALLY comes down to it. I don't race on streets, I don't race period. But there is this inkling of road-rage that comes over me once in a while, and I need some hard facts from you racers. Which one of the following cars CAN I outrun behind a redlight in an 08 I4 automatic (assuming the opposing cars are automatic as well):

Honda Civic/Fit
Lexus IS250

These cars are predominantly "daddy's car" in the area I live in, and I encounter a lot of snotty 16 year olds behind the wheel reving their engines like its a ferrari. Being as immature as I am, I wouldn't mind teaching them a lesson. Let me know which one of the above are easy takes, and please no hardship about why I'm occasionally doing what I do

Thanks, Arash
it's going to entirely depend on WHO is behind the wheel of all of the cars.....

the list of comparable cars aren't all really comparable, but that doesn't really matter if you just want to know if you can outrun them anyway.

plus, you NEVER know what in the world someone has done under the hood.... who's car is a sleeper. all of that kind of stuff.

only way you'll know if you can outrun each of those cars or any other is to go to a track and drive each one yourself and time yourself. then you can rank them on a somewhat comparable basis, even though there is still room for human error on alot of fronts there. for instance, you may drive the accord that you are familiar with alot differently than you'd drive a 350z that you are not familiar with and have no idea how it handles. catch my drift?

one thing i can say is if you go out and drive various cars, you can feel the so called butt dyno. one car claims more hp, but doesn't have the torque and doesn't feel fast. others die out in high rpm's. others have a dead spot. so all in all i tend to put no stock in the numbers. heck, in my tsx, if you drive it like a granny, it doesn't feel like it has too much power (still plenty for my liking, but nothing to be amazed at). but rev it and you'll find alot of what you thought was missing. fwiw~when i had a 2000 civic lx automatic with some piddly amount of hp (i think 104?) and my mom had an altima with about 170, that civic sure pulled alot better than the altima. the altima had a dead, nonreactive area that was so annoying to me. but on paper, the altima looks like it should beat the civic hands down. it just didn't add up to me.

well, hope that made sense in the way i was trying to get it to go.......

Current:
06 Nighthawk Black Acura TSX 6 spd~mine~20mm tl sway bar
08 Alabaster Silver Metallic RDX Tech Pkg~stevels'

Retired:
06 Sapphire Blue Accord V6 6spd sedan w/navi~stevel's~Accord all season floor mats and trunk tray
04 Nighthawk Black EX Accord Coupe~5spd~crooked

03 Ruby Red Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
00 Vintage Plum Pearl LX Civic Sedan (at)
Old 05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
LOVIN MY NAVI

I say you CAN outrun the Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Altima, Sonota, Tiburon, Civic, & Fit.

The rest........

I wouldn’t even think about the BMW, C-Class, or Lex…

Just my .02!

Other Cars.

73 Nova, Built 350 with all the "go fast" parts!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:00 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anysia View Post
one thing i can say is if you go out and drive various cars, you can feel the so called butt dyno. one car claims more hp, but doesn't have the torque and doesn't feel fast. others die out in high rpm's. others have a dead spot. so all in all i tend to put no stock in the numbers. heck, in my tsx, if you drive it like a granny, it doesn't feel like it has too much power (still plenty for my liking, but nothing to be amazed at). but rev it and you'll find alot of what you thought was missing. fwiw~when i had a 2000 civic lx automatic with some piddly amount of hp (i think 104?) and my mom had an altima with about 170, that civic sure pulled alot better than the altima. the altima had a dead, nonreactive area that was so annoying to me. but on paper, the altima looks like it should beat the civic hands down. it just didn't add up to me.
That is very true. Just comparing my Passat to my Accord is intresting. You'd expect the Accord with its larger 3.0L engine and 10 more hp to be faster, and at the end of the run to 60mph, it probably is. The 2.8 in the Passat has less displacement but unlike the Accord, all of it's torque is available at 3,200 rpm. That translates into the Passat feeling like a "faster" car in normal driving. Punch the throttle and the car will surve forward. The Accord wakes up at about 3,500rpm and from there it feels plenty fast. The Passat falls alseep at 5,000rpm and just seems to make noise until redline instead of delivering more power.

Comparing it to cars in it's same class:

Sonata: Not the V6
Azera: No
Tiburon: not the manual
Camry: If it says Hybrid or V6, probably not!
Passat 2.0T: No
Jetta 2.5: Yes, unless it says GLI!
Altima: Not if it says 3.5 on the back
Maxima: No way
350z: One can dream...
Corolla/Matrix: Yes
Any compact german sports sedan, NO!
Civic/Fit: Duh, well unless its an Si!
7th gen Accord V6: No
malibu: check engine
Fusion: Yes
Edge: No!
Rav 4 V6: Hell no
Scion tc: Even
Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
accordless

Quote:
Any compact german sports sedan, NO!
unless it's a '97 - '99 A4 1.8T... then chances are good the wastegate rod is broken and the car will be an incredible turd. and yeah, it happens alot.

'06 accord V6 6 MT nav sedan... gone.

'06 TSX 6MT.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Trip
I agree with all the comments about the butt dyno. A lot of times its about the perception of the performance. Something could feel fast but be slow as gum and vice cersa.

What I've always like about most Hondas is that they're very tactile to drive. Whether or not they actually <i>are</i>, they feel like they scoot fast, are nimble around corners, and are as much fun to drive at parking lot speeds as they are to cruise in on the highway.

For that matter, the type of music you're playing can make the car feel faster.

And what it boils down to is the butt dyno can be very subjective and influenced by personal preferences. For example, I drove a V6 2001.5 5speed Passat for over a year. Compared to the 2003 4cyl 5speed Accord I traded it for, I thought the Passat was slow. The 2.4L blew away the V6 Passat I had - and it sounded *much* nicer doing it. The handling couldn't compare either. The Passat felt "heavier" but that weight translated to the handling. It felt reluctant to corner and the nose seemed like it was plowing. The Accod OTOH felt way more nimble and responsive. It would snap around corners that the Passat bobbed around.

Come & Gone: 84 Accord HB, 91 CRX Si, 89 Accord LXi, 90 Accord LX Cpe, 94 Accord EX, 95 Accord EX Cpe, 98 Accord EX, 99 A4, 03 Accord EX-L, 91 Civic RT4WD Wagon, 06 Accord EX-L NAVI

From The Dark Period: 01.5 Passat, 08 Accord 6-6
Old 05-09-2008, 01:33 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasheht View Post
Which one of the following cars CAN I outrun behind a redlight in an 08 I4 automatic (assuming the opposing cars are automatic as well):

Honda Civic/Fit
Lexus IS250
You should check out this article in Car and Driver. They tested the Accord I4 AT along with its competitors.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

Here are the results:

2008 Honda Accord EX-L I4 AT
0-60: 8.1 s
1/4-mile: 16.4 s @ 86 mph

2009 Hyundai Sonata
0-60: 8.8 s
1/4-mile: 16.8 s @ 84 mph

2008 Nissan Altima
0-60: 7.8 s
1/4-mile: 16.2 s @ 87 mph

2008 Toyota Camry
0-60: 8.9 s
1/4-mile: 17 s @ 83 mph

2008 Dodge Avenger
0-60: 9.0 s
1/4-mile: 16.8 s @ 83 mph

2008 Ford Fusion
0-60: 9.5 s
1/4-mile: 17.3 s @ 80 mph

2008 Chevrolet Malibu
0-60: 8.7 s
1/4-mile: 16.7 s @ 83 mph

All 2008 ATs
Sonata V6: no way
Tiburon: I4 - easily; V6 - close
Azera: no way
Civic: Si - no way; LX/EX - close
Fit: easily
IS250: nope
350Z: not even close
Altima V6: no way
Maxima: nope
Camry V6: nope
Corolla/Matrix: yes
328i: nope
C300: close

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Old 05-09-2008, 04:00 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
unless it's a '97 - '99 A4 1.8T... then chances are good the wastegate rod is broken and the car will be an incredible turd. and yeah, it happens alot.
oh please, just like the TL you see on the side of the freeway stuck in 1st gear huh? That A4 will kill any old Accord, including an 8th generation I-4. Oh, and if it's got an APR talking the ECU, just go home
Old 05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
accordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuolumne View Post
oh please, just like the TL you see on the side of the freeway stuck in 1st gear huh? That A4 will kill any old Accord, including an 8th generation I-4. Oh, and if it's got an APR talking the ECU, just go home
hopped up 1.8's are a joke. I've driven a couple that have the APR ecm, the bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, all the bs that costs way more than it's worth...... they still aren't fast. not fast at all............... have you actually driven one? they are NOT all that.
now, we did build a bi-turbo S4 to RS4 specs..... now, that car is frickin' fast................

'06 TSX 6MT.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
banned

Wow, I disagree completely 100% with what you've said. A chipped 1.8 is an absolute beast, and yes I've driven a 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg with an APR. Better have the manual or forget it. In my opinion, the only "joke" is that a Civic with an intake is somehow a sports car.

With that said, I prefer the smooth and refined nature (not to mention the reliablity) of the 2.8L V6.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 PM
accordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuolumne View Post
Wow, I disagree completely 100% with what you've said. A chipped 1.8 is an absolute beast, and yes I've driven a 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg with an APR. Better have the manual or forget it. In my opinion, the only "joke" is that a Civic with an intake is somehow a sports car.

With that said, I prefer the smooth and refined nature (not to mention the reliablity) of the 2.8L V6.
I agree 100% about the punks with civics that think they're special.

maybe I have higher standards for what a fast car is. I have yet to drive any 1.8 that I would even think is at all impressive. the V10 in the S6 is awsome. the chain V8's are ok, pretty good, not overly special..

fast to me is...... that RS4 we built. a porsche 997 turbo with APR chip, headers, exhaust........ that car has straight up too much power. all wheel drive, wide tires, can't keep them planted at all under boost.

maybe after cars like that, everything else is.... eh.....................................

the 2.8 V6 that will launch the water pump? or puke all it's oil out every 40K miles? or that the brake booster vaccum valves will freeze up? wtf is reliable about the 2.8? I assume you mean the 30 valve engine, right?

'06 TSX 6MT.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Out of Control

As a R-18 past Civic owner and then current 5at I4 Accord owner. The Civic would eat the Accord alive off the line. Faster by far in 0-60. But both topped out at a 127 mph. By speed-o, navi and measured distance. 5mt Accord will get a R-18 Civic off the line. But what does it matter when they both top at the same within say 25 yards of each other. The R-18 is a neat motor. not a hot rod but in its own class. Noe if the rest of the car was in its own class.

My Mazda3 2.3 will make a I4 Accord both 5mt look real bad in a race. Be it straight or through the twistys. And Ive punshised Civic Si pilots in the twistys with my Mazda. And if Mazda had done a Speed3 in Sedan or Coupe. I would own one now and be cussing FWD. Thus my lust for BMW 135I with sport package and comfort access.

Accord can be pushed to limits many don't want to talk about. Including the V6 owners. One they go no faster top end than the I4's. Other than the 17's. They don't handel any better. and in some case's worse. Folks bitch about the OEM Micky's on our cars. Problem is,,, They don't know how to drive. I can corner our blue hair Accord hard enough to carry the inside rear wheel off the ground. Sure its a twisted sister. But once it's set and loaded. Foot to the floor. It can drag it's butt around a corner like a dog in the yard dragging its ass with worms.

Dont waste your time wondering or worrying about who you could take when driving down the road. Think about being a good driver!

While many bitch about Accord brakes and warped rotors. Know that Honda does have one of the very best ABS systems ever built. While Accord if not Honda as a company has some bad over all braking. There ABS is very driver geared. If you keep your head about you and don't go into the normal American Im a idiot driver mode. You can control and use the ABS to guide the car thru or into your doom. Im still amazed at the brake control I have in our Accord. Bring the E-Brake into the mix it becomes a surprising car.

Our I4 5at Accord is the best Oklahoma 120 mph section line cursing car Ive ever owned.

Period.

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:50 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I agree 100% about the punks with civics that think they're special.

maybe I have higher standards for what a fast car is. I have yet to drive any 1.8 that I would even think is at all impressive. the V10 in the S6 is awsome. the chain V8's are ok, pretty good, not overly special..

fast to me is...... that RS4 we built. a porsche 997 turbo with APR chip, headers, exhaust........ that car has straight up too much power. all wheel drive, wide tires, can't keep them planted at all under boost.

maybe after cars like that, everything else is.... eh.....................................

the 2.8 V6 that will launch the water pump? or puke all it's oil out every 40K miles? or that the brake booster vaccum valves will freeze up? wtf is reliable about the 2.8? I assume you mean the 30 valve engine, right?
There's a difference between having to change your timing belt every 75k and the idler tensioner failing. Or having to replace a cam tensioner gasket compared to having ALL of your oil fall out. Lets not take common problems and generalize to over the top extremes (and besides, any moron who doesn't change their timing belt after 80k is just asking to have a rebuilt head). And yes, the 30v. Those engines will easily go to 200K, as evidence by many users with high mileage on a certain other web forum I frequent as well
Old 05-11-2008, 05:10 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
save money and dust most cars out there, mazda speed 3 ... my good friend just got one for a smoking deal and lowwww APR considering he was Tier 2

I'm not fond of hatch backs, but damn... this car just has nothing but more to give through all the gears and is basically set up for the weekend track person from the get go. It inspires nothing but confidence if you're cool with MT's.

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.