Noisy a/c compressor engagement/disengagement? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:34 PM
4th Gear

Noisy a/c compressor engagement/disengagement?

I'm not sure if this is because the engine is so smooth itself that other ancillary noises are more noticeable, but not having another 08 EX-L V6 to compare to, I'm wondering if this is normal. If I have the climate control set to Auto and set at a particular temperature, and sitting idle, I can feel/hear the A/C compressor cycling on/off as well as the engine fan. I can understand the fan being noisy, but the compressor sounds a bit out of place. When engaging, there is a barely audible screatching noise that goes away pretty quickly.

Is this normal?
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Yes. Honda A/C noises (fans, clutch, etc) are noisy. Your sounds look normal to me.

2011 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Diesel.
2012 VW Golf TDI 4dr Tech Package 6MT

Forum Rules and Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Here's a hint - if you don't want to be judged by what you write on an internet forum then don't write on an internet forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

What a shame. Such a quiet motor ruined by A/C noises. The ironic thing is the various American cars I've owned had noisy engines but quite A/C compressors. Or, was it that the motors were so noisy it masked the A/C noises?? ;-)
Old 05-21-2008, 03:15 PM
can'tpoop

Yes! i complained and went to the dealer, its a constant sound like a hampster running on a wheel, sounds squeaky. Anyway i got in other new cars, they all have the same problem!

so it's everyone's car apparently.

my girlfriends 6th generation accord does not do this.

such a shame.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
4th Gear

wow, that sucks. considering that I have the climate control on 99% of the time, my car sounds like ass 99% of the time... Funny thing is, I didn't notice this during the test drive. You think its possible if enough people complain they will issue a TSB fix for this?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:33 AM
5th Gear

I and other's have noticed the HVAC blower motor is noisy especially on low, mine makes a sort of "chirping" sound - but only on the lowest fan speed.

The second issue has to do with how the engine feels when the AC compressor kicks in, on my I4 I can really feel the drag on the engine and even see the RPM's drop for a fraction of a second until the idle stabilizes, then the engine feels "rough" at idle any time the AC compressor is on.

I went back to my Honda dealer and complained, the tech can see and feel what my complaint is but said it was "normal" and to prove her point we went out to three brand new Accords sitting on the lot and started the motor and cycled the AC on/off. Sure enough the "roughness" and "draw" on the motor was plainly evident.

So I have to believe it's a common design trait of Honda's.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Out of Control

I don't know, maybe the manual AC on LX is different than the4 auto on the EXL but I checked out mine yesterday even out of car next to hood and I don't hear anything strange, it all totally normal air-compressor/cooling fan sounds (in car with radio off I really only hear the fans, other than the "click" when AC starts).
the interior fan is loud on high/max but I rarely use more than 2/3 of max.

Yes, with the AC on the 2.4 does get slightly rougher (you can notice ac is on) and it does affect power, but this happens on all cars even V6 and V8, you just notice it less as they have more torque as engine displacement goes up

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Cell Phone Doc

I don't hear any of these strange anomalies either. ? If I'm in the garage, I can hear the radiator fans kick on, but that's about it.

I must be one lucky b*****d, because all I read on this board all day long is complaints about squeaks, rattles, groans, noisy this and that. I've yet to be plagued by any of them
Email Us---My Photo Gallery
12 Lincoln MKT, EcoBoost twin turbo 3.5V6, Crystal Champagne Metallic
86 Buick Grand National (for go)
87 Buick Grand National (for show)
01 Ford Excursion 7.3PSD (for tow)
Old 05-22-2008, 06:37 AM
"HondaFied"

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFRET View Post
I and other's have noticed the HVAC blower motor is noisy especially on low, mine makes a sort of "chirping" sound - but only on the lowest fan speed.

The second issue has to do with how the engine feels when the AC compressor kicks in, on my I4 I can really feel the drag on the engine and even see the RPM's drop for a fraction of a second until the idle stabilizes, then the engine feels "rough" at idle any time the AC compressor is on.

I went back to my Honda dealer and complained, the tech can see and feel what my complaint is but said it was "normal" and to prove her point we went out to three brand new Accords sitting on the lot and started the motor and cycled the AC on/off. Sure enough the "roughness" and "draw" on the motor was plainly evident.

So I have to believe it's a common design trait of Honda's.

Keep in mind that AC's are drags to any car engine and that's normal for just about every car on the road that uses AC.

Plain and simple, if the AC's on then your car (engine) has to work a little hard because of the extra load. I also believe that the less powerful of the engine the more you'll feel the drag of the extra load.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 AM
4th Gear

My 1992 Camry 4cyl with 280,000 miles on it has a MUCH quieter A/C compressor than my 08 Accord. My other two cars were American with V8 engines. They were much quieter as well. When moving, it's fine. But when stationary and having the climate control set to Auto and it cycles on and off, it is very apparent and annoying. It just makes it feel like a much cheaper car.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:13 AM
5th Gear

can you tell with the radio on?
ive never sat there with it off and ive never noticed it thus far, so maybe the music is blocking it out
have to check this on lunch break
Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 AM
frainc

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
I don't hear any of these strange anomalies either. ? If I'm in the garage, I can hear the radiator fans kick on, but that's about it.

I must be one lucky b*****d, because all I read on this board all day long is complaints about squeaks, rattles, groans, noisy this and that. I've yet to be plagued by any of them
I agree, nothing from my car, now with 6,300 miles on it.

Use to hear the A/C kick on and off with my I4, but not this one.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

I also use auto climate settings almost exclusively and never experienced any noise problems.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang859 View Post
Yes! i complained and went to the dealer, its a constant sound like a hampster running on a wheel, sounds squeaky. Anyway i got in other new cars, they all have the same problem!

so it's everyone's car apparently.

my girlfriends 6th generation accord does not do this.

such a shame.
Well my 02 will lurch forward a bit if the compressor kicks on and I'm at a stop with my foot on the brake. If it cycles off, the brake pedal looses and travels inward. Weird to say the least. The Passat I have also has auto climate control and while it doesn't do this, it is extremely loud from the outside. When you turn the car off and exit, it sounds like a jet engine powering down, no joke.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 AM
can'tpoop

its not the ac compressor i am talking about its part of the hvac. even if the heat is on or if the system is running at all (anything but if you hit the OFF switch) you can hear hampsters running in their squeaky cages-part of the hvac motor.

it was dead silent in the 6th gen in my experience.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.