How much does it cost to replace clutch? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

How much does it cost to replace clutch?

How much does it cost to replace a clutch on an 03' Accord. How much would parts and labor cost if I did it at a Honda Dealership. Can anyone point me to a website that sells OEM clutch kits. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 AM

If you have a Honda dealer do the job, with the parts, I'd give a rough guesstimate of close to $2000. This is without the flywheel.
I believe it's about 8 to 10 hours labor, as the subframe needs to come out.

The flywheel should be checked carefully as it's a dual-mass unit, excessive play between the halves will require replacement, as well as excessive heat spots. This flywheel cannot be accurately machined.

002 22100-RCA-006 FLYWHEEL 1 2004 ACCORD 577.85 450.72
003 22105-PGE-305 CLUTCH SET 1 2004 ACCORD 297.40 231.97

06 91006-PGE-008 BEARING, PILOT 1 2004 ACCORD 34.50 26.91

Here's the prices from College Hills Honda's website, the higher price is the list price, the lower is what you'd pay if you bought them. The dealership wouldn't be too enamored with you if you brought parts to them to install.

These are for my '04 6 speed which should be the same, but you should enter your VIN to make sure.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 05-26-2008, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

Yes_Sir,

Just curious, what is the mileage on your car and what was the ratio of city and highway driving?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgg View Post
Yes_Sir,

Just curious, what is the mileage on your car and what was the ratio of city and highway driving?
I am sooo curious as well.

My godfather has an 03 5MT and he would choke at the sight of a 2 grand clutch replacement... I guess AT's aren't that much more to own really...
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Man! At that price I'm glad they are reasonably long lasting.

Yes, I reported that lozygo idiot.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordlover View Post
I am sooo curious as well.

My godfather has an 03 5MT and he would choke at the sight of a 2 grand clutch replacement... I guess AT's aren't that much more to own really...
The days of clutch replacements that are relatively low priced is gone.
When I mean low priced, I'm talking less than $1000.

Even most rwd cars now are assembled in such a way that the labor is just way out there.

Figure, depending on where you are 8 to 10 hours of labor at $100 per hour, is nearly or over a grand, then parts, plus any incidentals. When the subframe is dropped, the car will need to be aligned once the job is done.

What really sucks, is with some cars, the engine and trans has to come out together before they can be separated, as there is not enough room to get them apart in the car.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsvt View Post
The days of clutch replacements that are relatively low priced is gone.
When I mean low priced, I'm talking less than $1000.

Even most rwd cars now are assembled in such a way that the labor is just way out there.

Figure, depending on where you are 8 to 10 hours of labor at $100 per hour, is nearly or over a grand, then parts, plus any incidentals. When the subframe is dropped, the car will need to be aligned once the job is done.

What really sucks, is with some cars, the engine and trans has to come out together before they can be separated, as there is not enough room to get them apart in the car.
That's a real bummer. My Mom had her clutch replaced for $840 in her little 84 Accord Hatch back in the 90's. Times have changed!

As far as I know I'm on the original clutch in my 86, the previous owner said that they didn't replace nor did the person before them, so hopefully it will keep on lasting!

I'm still really curious about the mileage and engine this clutch has gone bad on... V6 vs. i4 etc...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
If you have a Honda dealer do the job, with the parts, I'd give a rough guesstimate of close to $2000. This is without the flywheel.

The flywheel should be checked carefully as it's a dual-mass unit, excessive play between the halves will require replacement, as well as excessive heat spots. This flywheel cannot be accurately machined.
Compare that to prices for more significant work that I had done in the past:

In 1991, I had my Nissan Maxima's 5 speed transmission rebuilt by the dealer (bad second gear) and a new clutch and machined flywheel for $1450 (clutch was not needed at 95K miles, but done since trans had to come out)

1987, Had factory rebuilt auto trans installed by the dealer including new oil seals and timing chain (engine had to come out anyway) on a 1981 Saab 900 Turbo for $2800

I wonder what a rebuilt transmission costs these days?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Fred,

I called my dealer for an estimate on a 6thGen clutch about a year ago when I was close to buying a 6thGen/5spd (didn't buy it). IIRC it was about $850 for OEM parts + labor. Is the job that much different on a 6th vs. a 7thGen?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Yes, there is a HUGE difference in labor involved in a 6th versus 7th.
The subframe in a 6th gen is a 2 piece, so the front half can be removed, then it's fairly easy to pull the trans out.
It takes about 4 hours for me to do one start to finish barring any problems.

The gen 7, the subframe is one piece, so the engine needs to be supported in place and the 6 speed (especially) is much larger. The gen 7 V6 also requires special tools to install (and remove if you wish to save the pressure plate).

$850 is a good price, what exactly are they replacing for that price? I'm curious.
I hope it's not just for a disc replacement and that's it.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Out of Control

Fred, IIRC that was just for a 6thGen disc replacement.

That $2,000 price you guessed earlier on a 7thGen - does that apply to the 4cyl as well? How about a ballpark clutch replacement cost for a 06+ Civic (non-Si)?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear

holy shit.

Well no more messing around slipping the clutch burn outs for me!
Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Damn... dual mass flywheels.... and $2000 clutch jobs.. sheesh.
I remember back in the days... changing clutches in a garage in 45mins on '94 integra GSR's ( with air tools of course). Then again, my '01 Audi A4 w/ custom stage 3+ clutch and install was just a hair under $1000... and it's AWD too.

Oh yea, my A4 used to be dual mass too... when stock. I later swapped it out for a lightweight non-dual mass flywheel, and switched to a sprung clutch disc instead. This worked perfectly for me... and revved a hell of a lot quicker too =)
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post
Fred, IIRC that was just for a 6thGen disc replacement.

That $2,000 price you guessed earlier on a 7thGen - does that apply to the 4cyl as well? How about a ballpark clutch replacement cost for a 06+ Civic (non-Si)?
Just a disc replacement???? Are they kidding me? I'd bet it's a tactic the writer is using to get a customer in there, and then they call you back later saying oh well, your car is apart and it need $xxxx.xx more parts and labor to fix it? Talk about a shock to the system.

What about the pressure plate and release bearing and pilot bearing? Do they even bother to check the release fork and pivot? How about the flywheel, if it's overly heat spotted, do they just ignore it and then let the clutch shudder like mad when the customer gets it back?

Replacing just the disc is less than half assed. I'd just love to be the owner who has a failure of any of the other parts in there, do they then charge the customer again for transmission removal?

The 7th gen 4 cylinder requires just about as much labor as the 6 speed, but the parts may be somewhat less expensive.

The newer Civics aren't a picnic either, they too have a full subframe that needs to come out to remove the transmission and those engine compartments are very, very tight in working room. Which engine R or K?

FYI, my sister's '02 Civic Si (2.0 K engine) has 130k on it now with no signs of the clutch acting up. She's not easy on cars. Knock on wood.

Not sure what I'd do when the clutch in my 6 speed needs doing, there aren't many options for solid flywheels and sprung hub discs. I think there may be an Acura swap, but not sure. The J series isn't a slow revver though. So I may leave it be.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

wow. I didn't realize I got this many responses. Well I still have the same clutch and I'm at 67k miles. I bought the car with 37k miles. I've had my clutch master cylinder changed because of it making noises. I still think I have a clutch problem. When I put my car in reverse and back out of a spot or what not, and then while I am moving, I press in the clutch, I still hear the noise the car makes going in reverse like its still in gear. Im pretty sure this isnt normal. Or when its hot outside, when I slowly let the clutch up and start moving sometimes i hear this wooooooo sound like something is rubbing then it goes away as soon as the clutch is all the way up. It doesn't appear to be slipping at all. I tried putting it in 3rd gear at slow speed and stopping on the gas but no slippage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.