Honda culture vs Toyota culture. - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > Other Honda talk

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Honda culture vs Toyota culture.

Now toyota has really bad impression on me now because of their current corporate culture... a culture that over-works and under-pays its employees (especially in Japan). That's a really bad impression on me after reading this report...http://www.nlcnet.org/article.php?id=562

I have yet to see/read about Honda corporate culture. All I know is that Honda is successful because of the CVCC and VTEC Engines. Does honda over-work and under-pay its employees like Toyota?
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Interesting post and postulate.

Show me anyone anywhere who is sane that says (s)he is overpaid and underworked. I am currently in the best job I've ever had and I'm working harder per dollar earned than I ever have. So it's not just about pay. Some days I say "I can't believe I get paid to do this" and other days it's "I can't believe I have to do this to get paid."

I can't speak to the Toyota culture much except that they have a fanatical. almost anal mindset about eliminating variation and inefficiency in the production process. That's not to say Honda doesn't, but an interesting part of the Honda culture is that every senior Honda exec, as I understand it, serves a stint in the motorcycle racing division, which in its own way creates a fanatical, almost anal, mindset about eliminating inefficiency in the product. Honda was the last major automaker to introduce a V6 to its midsized sedan (in 1995). The reason was that the Honda engineers held sway for a long time, saying it wasn't needed - a four was perfectly fine and the V6 was ineffiient from an engineering point of view.

I've always felt the personalities of Toyota and Honda products reflected the respective cultures. I'm sure there are those who will dispute this, and with some justification, but I've always seen Honda as the automotive version of Apple Computers.

I also know that whenever a new "associate" joins a Honda manufacturing facility, they plant a tree to symbolize their long term membership in the growing organization, or something close to that effect.

I'm sure that there are always disgruntled employees in any company, but I seriously doubt that any company can have the sustained world class performance that Toyota has enjoyed if it exploited its employees. That kind of fuel burns very quickly.

2007 SE I4 5AT, Cool Blue, 67k
2004 EX I4 5MT, Desert Mist, 160k

Also in the family:

2009 TSX, navy, auto
2011 TSX, black, M6 Tech
2012 Crosstour V6, black
2013 Civic EX, gray
2014 Honda HRX217 (2)

Departed:
2001 Accord EX I4 5MT, Satin Silver, oil slick at 86K
1999 EX-LV, Heather Mist, sold at 146,567
1994 Accord LX I4 5 MT ABS, Malachite Green, traded at 285k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to chanke4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by reframmellator View Post
I also know that whenever a new "associate" joins a Honda manufacturing facility, they plant a tree to symbolize their long term membership in the growing organization, or something close to that effect.

What happens when they quit, or are fired?...

"You go to hell! I burn your tree to the ground!"

Current: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX 4-Door (Spark Silver Metallic)
WRX's Cardomain Page

Previous: 2006 Accord Coupe EX V6 6MT w/ Nav (Graphite Pearl)
Accord's Cardomain Page
Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Out of Control

Yota just got the press of late. From what Ive seen and heard. Honda and other Japanese company's work there people the same way. Its part of the Japanese culture and work ethic.

Ive had all sorts of info come over my desk about the new plants Honda is building here in the USA. Its all very hush hush and there is no way in hell I will comment in detail about any of it. Its just safe to say they are being fanatical about the construction process and the American contractors are setting around pointing fingers at each other. Talk about the sorry work ethic we have here in the USA now days.

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanke4252 View Post
What happens when they quit, or are fired?...

"You go to hell! I burn your tree to the ground!"
Quitting in that culture isn't like here. If one has to move on to bigger and better things its celebrated.

Being fired is a disgrace and shameful event.

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
one one thousand

Stories like that are the reason why the UAW exists.

Japanese culture and business acumen is one of the reasons why their products are so great for better or for worse. I think that they have much more tolerance for poor working conditions due to their culture of collectivism than most other countries, especially ours.

This is one of the reasons why poor working conditions are accepted and probably exist at quite a few Japanese domestic businesses ... possibly including Honda and Nissan ... and will probably exist for a long, long time.

One thing to remember though, there was a time when nobody thought that G.M. or Ford would ever be in the state of decline that they are in now. Think that that can't happen to Toyota?

I think that stories like this are only going to get worse as they try to squeeze every penny that they can to cover for the huge losses they are about to take on their truck portfolio and the factories that build them.

They have five body on frame trucks and suv's that they are going to start losing money on in a bad way. The Tundra is shaping up to be a collosal size disaster for a company that's known for bullseye product planning. After they spent billions developing and building a dedicated factory for it one of their spokesman actually said that even though things are bad they don't want to shut the plant down . That sounds a lot like G.M. to me. Except Toyota doesn't have the jobs bank.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/18/t...-tundra-plant/

They can sell the small low profit cars like hotcakes but having a portfolio with money losers is going to put even more pressure on them to cut costs and squeeze their employees.
2003 Accord EX I4 Manual
1996 Toyota Celica

Next Car ... Accord EX 2.2 i-CDTi ??
Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

There is a good book on business called In Search of Excellence (by Tom Peters I believe). It tells a story about a group of GM execs that visited a Honda plant in Japan in the early 1980s. As the story goes, the guys were at the end of the tour and looking down upon the rows of new Civics waiting to be shipped. Beyond these cars was the employee parking lot and a factory shift worker was walking through the field of new Civics and every 10th or 12th car he would stop and fiddle with a wiper blade.

The GM guys asked to find out what this employee was doing. It turns out that as he leaves each day he scans the rows of new cars and adjusts the wipers so that they look PERFECTLY STANDARDIZED as he looks down each row and that he cannot stand to see any flaw or imperfection in a Honda.

Pretty amazing. That is culture. Not to bash our boys here but I can't picture a UAW worker doing that to row of Buicks.

---------------------------------
Current Ride: 07 Morraccon Red Accord EX-L V6

In the Past: 1988 Prelude S, Silver 5 spd; 1990 Accord EX Coupe, Seattle Silver, 5 spd; 1994 Accord EX Auto, Dark Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.