08 Accord 4 cylinder oil change - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Fluid Dynamics

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

08 Accord 4 cylinder oil change

I have a 08 coupe honda accord 4 cylinder model LX-S and I was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to change the oil. I also need to kno wat type of oil to buy, preferably the best brand.

the car is showing i have 10% left and i currently have approx. 5k miles. is that normal in regular cars or do I just drive too much or "recklessly". also when is the best time to change the oil; at wat percent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s75 View Post
I have a 08 coupe honda accord 4 cylinder model LX-S and I was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to change the oil. I also need to kno wat type of oil to buy, preferably the best brand.

the car is showing i have 10% left and i currently have approx. 5k miles. is that normal in regular cars or do I just drive too much or "recklessly". also when is the best time to change the oil; at wat percent?
Wow! I have approx 5k miles and my oil is at 40%.

Not sure if it's your driving style, but I do know that Honda recommends changing it every 5k miles, so I guess that does seem about right.

I'm not sure if there's a tutorial on this web site, but I'm sure a quick Google should turn something up. I know how to change my oil, but I've got too many other projects going on to 'fuss' with, so I take my cars in to have it changed. Plus, by the time I buy the filter and 4 or 5 quarts of quality oil, I could spend a few $$ more and avoid the 'cleanup on aisle 7' if you know what I mean!

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on oil preferences. Some prefer synthetics, others prefer natural oils. My dad used Quaker State, but I prefer Pennzoil or Valvoline. Other's on here I'm sure will recommend Honda's oil (not sure who makes it).

Good luck!
Spoiler
Moon-roof visor
Trunk Tray

1999 Red Civic LX - 106k and going strong
17" alloys
10 disk changer
Remote starter
XM radio
(Sold to help pay for new car - sniff)
Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear

yea i was thinkin of getting penzoil the commerical looked nice haha.. u guys kno wat type of oil i should get though? like the numbers
Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

s75... have you even looked at your owner's manual?!?

{a few Honda/Acura vehicles in the past/present/future}
Old 06-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Out of Control

The car uses 5w-20 weight oil (factory spec) and you can't miss drain plug an filter, there dead center on back side of engine (facing firewall )
Make sure oil filter flange is clean after filter removal, also check/replace drain plug gasket.

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 AM
4th Gear

Where does it say Honda recommend oil to be changed every 5k? I am looking in my owner's manual and can't seem to find it. I thought the MM did all the work for you.

Honda recommends 5W-20. Check your owner's manual -- it's all in there. As for the best oil. That's subjective and a search of these forums would yield many many many many many opinions.
* All interior bulbs replaced with LED.
* PP 5W-20, Wix Oil Filter

2004 Accord EX V6 Coupe
* Cold Air Intake
* LED Taillights
* PP 5W-20, Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Used to own...
2003 Accord LX-G
1997 Saturn SC2
1993 Saturn SL1
Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

It doesn't say to change it at 5K. Most dealers recommend you do the first one at 5K then follow the oil thingamajiggie (technical term).
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
s75... have you even looked at your owner's manual?!?
no too lazy ;| but i guess i will. errrr u guys dont have any like photo tutorial on how to do it?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Not one that I've seen here. Get a friend that has changed oil before to assist you. It's really quite simple. You will need the correct tools and a crush washer to do it correctly.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by s75 View Post
no too lazy ;| but i guess i will. errrr u guys dont have any like photo tutorial on how to do it?
I am instructing all members of this forum to not provide any photos.

Come on man! It's in your glove box, it has pictures! READ IT!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

The 2008 manual shows you how to do it and we get 10 posts a week asking the same question? OY! Such a deal!!!!!!! Read the fricken manual!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT

Send a message via Yahoo to mdnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
It doesn't say to change it at 5K. Most dealers recommend you do the first one at 5K then follow the oil thingamajiggie (technical term).
Actually those dealers are not following Honda's suggestion. You use the MM system and change it when you're below 10%. The dealer I went to was very specific in saying the first change should be done when the car says. Honda puts a special additive in the first oil off the factory floor.

According to the manual your oil should be changed when MM tells you to, or every 12 months. Read the manual.
1991 Volvo 744 SE turbo, M46, red / black cloth, 99,580mi
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
I'd like to see someone post a DIY with the 8th gen oil change.

Yeah....its in the manual...but sometimes pictures help some people.

2011 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Diesel.
2012 VW Golf TDI 4dr Tech Package 6MT

Forum Rules and Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Here's a hint - if you don't want to be judged by what you write on an internet forum then don't write on an internet forum.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnky View Post
Actually those dealers are not following Honda's suggestion. You use the MM system and change it when you're below 10%. The dealer I went to was very specific in saying the first change should be done when the car says. Honda puts a special additive in the first oil off the factory floor.

According to the manual your oil should be changed when MM tells you to, or every 12 months. Read the manual.
I'm fully aware of the moly additive in the factory fill. There are also contaminants in the original oil produced during break in and they need to be removed as soon as is practically possible. That is generally between 3500 and 5000 miles. Also Honda has flip flopped on this issue so much it's darn difficult to figure out what's correct. On my car they said to change it initially @ 5000 miles (I went to Mobil 1 around 3400), then it was 5K and follow the oil life monitor for the remainder of ownership. Now it's just follow the oil life monitor period. Can you see the confusion?

For me personally ANY new car will have the first change by 5K at the latest then I'll follow the oil life monitor BUT with synthetic oil. I realize the newer cars have a brilliant oil monitoring system but I have seen far too many used oil analysis' pointing to the fact that regular oil is spent by 6K or so, usually sooner. There have been exceptions but for my money I wouldn't go past 6K with regular oil no matter what the monitor said. Just my educated(?) opinion for what it's worth.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
For me personally ANY new car will have the first change by 5K at the latest then I'll follow the oil life monitor BUT with synthetic oil. I realize the newer cars have a brilliant oil monitoring system but I have seen far too many used oil analysis' pointing to the fact that regular oil is spent by 6K or so, usually sooner. There have been exceptions but for my money I wouldn't go past 6K with regular oil no matter what the monitor said. Just my educated(?) opinion for what it's worth.
I'll agree with that. Visit BITOG and look at dino oil analysis' past 6K. If my maintenance minder says to go more than 6K between oil changes, I'll use synthetic oil, regardless what the dealer says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.