Lost wheel lock key.. - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 AM
1st Gear

Unhappy Lost wheel lock key..

Hi guys,

help me out here...

I bought an 07 Accord last week and over the weekend went to get the tires rotated and oil changed.

However, there were locks on the wheels and no key in the car.

My question is - are all OEM wheel locks same? can I just buy another set and the key will fit on the existing locks?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, not likely, else the wheel thieves would have an easy picnic getting your wheels off.

Can you contact the dealership/previous owner to see if they/he can provide you with the key?

In fact you may have a better chance if you bought the car from a Honda (or even an independent) dealership, since they would have to take the wheels off to do a safety inspection of brake pad thickness, so they MUST have had the key to do so, as such you can very rightfully ask that they take care of this problem for you free of charge.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 AM
4th Gear

When I bought my lock nuts at the dealership, they also gave me a paper with a number on it.

With the number, Mc Guard (I think it's Mc Guard - anyway, the wheel lock nuts manufacturer) is able to send you another key...

But you need the number...if you don't have it, you can have your lock nuts removed (destroyed) and then just buy another set. More expensive though!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzal View Post
When I bought my lock nuts at the dealership, they also gave me a paper with a number on it.

With the number, Mc Guard (I think it's Mc Guard - anyway, the wheel lock nuts manufacturer) is able to send you another key...

But you need the number...if you don't have it, you can have your lock nuts removed (destroyed) and then just buy another set. More expensive though!
Thanks for your reply

Is this number printed with the little white card which has radio code on it? There are several numbers on it.?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM
4th Gear

I just went through this same dilemma. Like others said, you should have a little card that says Mcgard and has a number on it. If you dont have this, you may be able to give them a call (800-444-5847) and see if they might be able to help you out with your VIN. If that fails, the Honda dealer has a master set of wheel lock keys and can remove them for you and then you will have to either buy a new set of wheel locks (probably <$50?) or just buy a set of regular lug nuts to replace them. Hope this helps.

-Wes

Now: 2009 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L, Super White, TRD Package
Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw44 View Post
Thanks for your reply

Is this number printed with the little white card which has radio code on it? There are several numbers on it.?
Mine was on a Mcgard card...not a dealership card. Separated from all other numbers...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Ashley & Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
Hmmm, not likely, else the wheel thieves would have an easy picnic getting your wheels off.

Can you contact the dealership/previous owner to see if they/he can provide you with the key?

In fact you may have a better chance if you bought the car from a Honda (or even an independent) dealership, since they would have to take the wheels off to do a safety inspection of brake pad thickness, so they MUST have had the key to do so, as such you can very rightfully ask that they take care of this problem for you free of charge.
They can still take the wheels off at the dealer because like someone else said they have a master key and since they do a lot of times they forget to check if the car has a key. You're probably gonna have to get em cut off and replaced with lugs unless you wanna buy a new set of locks. This happens all the time at the Mazda dealer I work at.
DriveAccord Profile
Car Domain Profile
Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey4 View Post
They can still take the wheels off at the dealer because like someone else said they have a master key and since they do a lot of times they forget to check if the car has a key. You're probably gonna have to get em cut off and replaced with lugs unless you wanna buy a new set of locks. This happens all the time at the Mazda dealer I work at.
Agreed. I know many times I've forgotten to tell them where I put the lock key, but somehow they were still able to rotate the tires.

So, just take it in and have them remove the locks for you. Then you can either replace them with a new set (so you'll have a key) or simply not use wheel locks.

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Just contacted McGaurd and they will sell me a key . I just have to provide a picture of the pattern.

Hmm... So much for security
Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

I am the SE sales mgr for McGard except I handle the non-automotive products (yes we do much, much more than wheel locks). Our locks just deter theft and although they are the best available, they will never totally prevent theft if someone really wants your stuff.

We can only do so much to handle lost keys. Sometimes we can't win either way. If we try to help you out because you no longer have our control number for your key (your fault or not), pretty much all we can do is have you send us a pic of your pattern to get you the right key. I guess we could also say, sorry charlie, no number, no key, but then there would be complaints that we were not very helpful. We choose to be on the side of helping our customers whenever we can.

My Toy List:
1968 Camaro - 427 SBC (520hp/495tq), TKO 5spd
1969 Camaro - 638 BBC (1000hp/insane), Tremec 6spd **SOLD**
1997 Viper GTS - Headers, 3" exhaust, 3:55 gears, 19" Forgelines, StopTech brakes
2007 S2000 - Rio yellow, stock
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipowernut View Post
I am the SE sales mgr for McGard except I handle the non-automotive products (yes we do much, much more than wheel locks). Our locks just deter theft and although they are the best available, they will never totally prevent theft if someone really wants your stuff.

We can only do so much to handle lost keys. Sometimes we can't win either way. If we try to help you out because you no longer have our control number for your key (your fault or not), pretty much all we can do is have you send us a pic of your pattern to get you the right key. I guess we could also say, sorry charlie, no number, no key, but then there would be complaints that we were not very helpful. We choose to be on the side of helping our customers whenever we can.
Well, I did not mean it as a disrespect to Mcgard. We all know these locks can be taken off by a mechanic for 10 bucks. I chose to keep the locks and order a new key because of whatever little security it provides, so dont get me wrong. I was merely pointing out the simplicity of the procedure. You might want to institute a policy of asking "proof of ownership" when someone calls for a key without the numbers..
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw44 View Post
Well, I did not mean it as a disrespect to Mcgard. We all know these locks can be taken off by a mechanic for 10 bucks. I chose to keep the locks and order a new key because of whatever little security it provides, so dont get me wrong. I was merely pointing out the simplicity of the procedure. You might want to institute a policy of asking "proof of ownership" when someone calls for a key without the numbers..
What kind of proof of ownership could they possibly ask for?

Proof you own their wheel locks? You don't have to register with them when you buy the wheel locks, so they wouldn't have a record that you own a set of their wheel locks.

Proof you own the car? I don't think they want you to send in a copy of your title... nor should you want to.

Like you said, the locks can be removed without the key. Do you really think that a thief would take a picture for someone else's car, call to get a replacement key, then steal the wheels off the car?

Assuming that the thief even knew what brand locks they were by just looking at them, by having the key mailed to them, the company would now have a record for who contacted them for the replacement key and an address in the event that someone calls them saying that their wheels were stolen.

Like most theft deterrant devices, it's meant to make stealing them less convenient.

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

// "Well, I did not mean it as a disrespect to Mcgard. We all know these locks can be taken off by a mechanic for 10 bucks. I chose to keep the locks and order a new key because of whatever little security it provides, so dont get me wrong. I was merely pointing out the simplicity of the procedure." //

Hmmm, with what little bit of $10 security we provide, I wonder how we became the first choice as an OEM supplier to most all of the car manufacturers in this country (let alone Europe and Asia).

aw44: Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be sarcastic.

sjlee: Thank you, you get it.

My Toy List:
1968 Camaro - 427 SBC (520hp/495tq), TKO 5spd
1969 Camaro - 638 BBC (1000hp/insane), Tremec 6spd **SOLD**
1997 Viper GTS - Headers, 3" exhaust, 3:55 gears, 19" Forgelines, StopTech brakes
2007 S2000 - Rio yellow, stock
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 AM
4th Gear

Or maybe, Mcgard could develop a wheel lock that would scan your thumb print and then wirelessly download your personal information from the FBI Database before it verifies vehicle ownership information through the DPS! If a known criminal's fingerprint is read or the wrong fingerprint is read more than 5 times, the authorities could then be dispatched to the vehicle's location because the wheel lock would also have built in GPS.

Seriously though, I don't think aw44 meant to rile anybody up over this or imply that Mcgard doesn't deserve to be the first choice as an OEM supplier to most car manufacturers. For what it's worth, I appreciate the fact that you guys don't go completely overboard with security precautions (they're a set of OEM wheels, not diamond encrusted 26's!). This makes life much easier on people like me who didn't get a key or lost the key to their vehicle's wheel locks.

Regards,

Wes

Now: 2009 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L, Super White, TRD Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.