replacing 08 Accord head unit - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Audio & Electronics

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 AM
1st Gear

replacing 08 Accord head unit

I currently own an Alpine IDA-X100 h/u, and am considering getting either an 08 Accord LX or LX-S. My main question is what (if any) functionality would the built-in center console lcd retain if I were to replace the factory unit?

I love the Alpine and would like to keep a full-speed ipod connection stereo in my next car, but I'd be sad to see a nice installed lcd just sit there blank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 AM
3rd Gear

AFAIK, you would loose the factory display all together.

In my brothers car, we left the factory stereo completely intact and installed the aftermarket system along side.

Alpine head unit installed in center storage, amps on back of rear seat, kick panel enclosures for front speakers... etc.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 AM
4th Gear

on the LX or LX-s I don't think the LCD would retain any function. The only thing it would retain is the display for dual zone climate control, but i think that only comes on the EX models.
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel amp pushing
JBL GTO627 6-1/2" 2-ways (rear deck)
JBL GTO607C 6-1/2" (fronts)
Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
Old 08-18-2008, 06:05 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
AFAIK, you would loose the factory display all together.

In my brothers car, we left the factory stereo completely intact and installed the aftermarket system along side.

Alpine head unit installed in center storage, amps on back of rear seat, kick panel enclosures for front speakers... etc.
So now he has all those buttons on the factory HU with no function? That would drive me crazy.
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel amp pushing
JBL GTO627 6-1/2" 2-ways (rear deck)
JBL GTO607C 6-1/2" (fronts)
Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
Old 08-18-2008, 07:05 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthian84 View Post
So now he has all those buttons on the factory HU with no function? That would drive me crazy.
No No... the factory system is in original working order. Nothing on the factory system was changed at all.

You can actually play both systems at the same time.

He only plans to keep the car a year or two... so he wanted something easy to remove.

I went a different route...

I left the factory head unit in and installed a JL Audio Cleansweep that feeds my aftermarket amps. Everything works the same and looks stock... except for 2 small knobs I installed on the center console.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Your brother's setup sounds pretty interesting Zed. What kind of parts did he need for the additional head unit and center storage install?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
3rd Gear

He used a piece of 1/2" textured ABS and built a bracket that replaces the lower storage tray. Amps are mounted on the rear seat back and he made custom kick panel enclosures for the front speakers (you can see the driver's side in the picture). He even installed a seperate battery just for this system.

He can have the whole system removed in about 15 minutes with no sigh it was ever installed. Pretty cool.

But, if you plan to keep the car... I would highly suggest installing a factory interface and using the factory head unit. My Cleansweep provides 8volt outputs and removes all DSP. The only thing his alpine head has over my setup is imaging and 153 bands of EQ per speaker. I could add a 3.Sixty (or some other processor) and get those features but... my system sounds amazing as it stands.

My car looks completely stock except for the EQ (made using the same stuff for the Headunit) and 2 knobs on the console.

And here is where I put the Cleansweep

Anyway, it's just something to consider if you want to retain full functionality of the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.