How to change the MAP Lights - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
5th Gear

How to change the MAP Lights

This is I think a dumb question, but what is the safest and easiest way to change the MAP LIGHTS on the Sedan?

I don't know if I need to take the whole thing off, or I can just pop out the lights themselves.

It just looks fragile and I don't want to break anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 01:44 PM
5th Gear

Get a really thin flat tip screwdriver and pry off the lenses. If you look closely, you can see more opaque parts on the edge of the lens, those are the clips, there are four of them. Just pry gently and they'll pop out. You might want to use the screwdriver to pry out the bulbs too.

Mods
OEM: Wing Spoiler, Side Molding, Splash Guards, V6 front bumper with coupe fog light covers
Non-OEM: Toshiba HIR Lows, Chrome Door Pillars, Blue LED interior lights, White LED trunk and plate lights, Autozone chrome grille, lower bumper, and trunk trim, V-LEDs tail/brake light LED bulbs
Old 09-05-2008, 01:47 PM
4th Gear

Also wrap the screwdriver tip with some tape so you don't scratch up the plastic.

OEM USDM: Interior Illumination, Back-Up Sensor, Body Side Molding, Door Edge Guards, Splash Guards, Bumper Applique, All-Season Floor Mats, Trunk and Lower-Dash Insulators (from V6), Car Cover
OEM Imported: Illuminated Side Step Garnish, Headlight Protectors
Non-OEM: 3M Clear-Bra, V-LEDS LED's
Old 09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
4th Gear

From my experience doing this, it is very, very difficult to not scratch the plastic lens and/or the plastic base when using a screw driver to pry the lens off. It's also very difficult to remove the map light lenses without slightly bending the clips. As careful as I was, the clips bent just slightly which caused the lenses to be loose and hang a little. I ended up ordering 2 new lenses which only cost a few bucks.

As for the dome light, I found that the plastic base around the lens scratches VERY easily, much more so than the plastic around the map light lenses. If little scratches don't bother you, then it shouldn't be an issue. But the only way to really do it right without any scratches at all would be to replace the whole assembly. Either that or find some sort of softer, non-metal tool to use to pry the lens off.
Full Body Kit, 20/35% Tint, Body Side Molding, 18" Chromed Stock Wheels, Chrome Mesh Grill, '09 TSX Switchblade Key, Interior Illumination Kit, 6000k HID lows/2000k HID fogs, Blue LED Interior/Trunk/License lights

HID Installation
Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM
5th Gear

Agreed in regards to the dome light, I actually put a small scratch on the plastic border =(

Mods
OEM: Wing Spoiler, Side Molding, Splash Guards, V6 front bumper with coupe fog light covers
Non-OEM: Toshiba HIR Lows, Chrome Door Pillars, Blue LED interior lights, White LED trunk and plate lights, Autozone chrome grille, lower bumper, and trunk trim, V-LEDs tail/brake light LED bulbs
Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvag View Post
Either that or find some sort of softer, non-metal tool to use to pry the lens off.
Honda has a trim removal toolset, some of the accessories' installation instructions specify this as a requirement. I am not sure if it is available to the general public. You may want to buy a small plastic putty knife and try that. It may still be too think in which case you should be able to shave some of it off.

OEM USDM: Interior Illumination, Back-Up Sensor, Body Side Molding, Door Edge Guards, Splash Guards, Bumper Applique, All-Season Floor Mats, Trunk and Lower-Dash Insulators (from V6), Car Cover
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
5th Gear

I changed my dome lights today, but I used a blade knife to do it. I was very careful and didn't scratch anything. I put some nice WHITE LED in there and I will now change everything in the car to LED (INTERIOR THAT IS). I also changed the glove box and trunk. OHHHH and the liscense plate lights too.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
3rd Gear

Send a message via AIM to vietalogy
Quote:
Originally Posted by walhaddi View Post
I changed my dome lights today, but I used a blade knife to do it. I was very careful and didn't scratch anything. I put some nice WHITE LED in there and I will now change everything in the car to LED (INTERIOR THAT IS). I also changed the glove box and trunk. OHHHH and the liscense plate lights too.
damn i forgot about the glove box now have to pay more for shipping.

Retired Black on Black 08 Accord EX-L
Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM
4th Gear

Glove box is the only light I have yet to change. I briefly took a look inside there but couldn't tell how to access the light. Any tips?
Full Body Kit, 20/35% Tint, Body Side Molding, 18" Chromed Stock Wheels, Chrome Mesh Grill, '09 TSX Switchblade Key, Interior Illumination Kit, 6000k HID lows/2000k HID fogs, Blue LED Interior/Trunk/License lights

HID Installation
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Glove box is the only light I have yet to change. I briefly took a look inside there but couldn't tell how to access the light. Any tips?
You tried taking out the glove box? It's pretty easy -- unclip the damper by pushing it towards the front of the car, unclip the two hooks by pushing on each side of the glovebox. At this point the glove box will drop down (still attached via bolts.) If you still cannot reach the light, you may have to remove the two bolts to take out the glove box completely.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Man all you do is this:
1-Open the GLOVE BOX
2- Push the sides of the glove box to the inside so you can pull the glove box a little. You will see the glove box kind of drop down. If the DAMPNER pops don't worry, it just hooks back on.
3-Now the light is on top, rotate the socket clockwise and it will come off.
4-Change the light
5-Snap the socket back on be rotating it
6-Push glove box back up (Remember to hook the dampner)
DONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.