Reverse Problem - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 AM
4th Gear

Reverse Problem

I have a question. Yesterday when going from drive to reverse, backing into garage, the transmission wouldn't do it. It was in reverse but when I let off the brake and gave it some gas, it just free revved and rolled forward. I went to neutral, then back to reverse and the same thing happened. So I went to park, then back to reverse and there was a clunk and a bit of a shudder and it went into reverse. I did this twice yesterday.

Has this happened to anyone had anything like this happen with the current gen or past ones? Mine is a V6 w/auto.

I can just see it now. I take it to the dealership and they say they can't duplicate the problem, so there is no problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 06:45 AM
4th Gear

Dealer with the quickness
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Sounds like a failing tranny.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 AM
5th Gear

Does it still drive fine in anything other than reverse? Is there anything illuminated on your dashboard or is your "D" indicator flashing?

Mods
OEM: Wing Spoiler, Side Molding, Splash Guards, V6 front bumper with coupe fog light covers
Non-OEM: Toshiba HIR Lows, Chrome Door Pillars, Blue LED interior lights, White LED trunk and plate lights, Autozone chrome grille, lower bumper, and trunk trim, V-LEDs tail/brake light LED bulbs
Old 09-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Out of Control

First things first. Check your fluid level. That's a typical symptom of low fluid. If level is okay, then you definitely have a problem, and it'd be time for a dealer visit. Good luck.
JC
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM
3rd Gear

My car has only 2000km (1200 miles) and it does something close to what you described but not failing to engage.

Whenever I go from reverse to drive or even vice versa, I hear a distinct clank in the transmission. Not enough to feel in the car but certaining hear it. I have't had my first service yet but will mention it for sure.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 AM
4th Gear

Now, don't get all nervous, though. It could be something as simple as a faulty solenoid in the transmission. But still, get thyself to the dealer, post haste.
Splashguards and FloorLiners
TSX Switchblade Key (Yes, with a Sedan!)
XM Radio installed
Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth kit
Hard-wired iPhone install

'False Floor' in center console

Honda History:
1991 Civic w/ 120,000mi
Sadly trashed in an accident

1987 Accord Sedan w/ 140,000mi
Ol' Blue - burned a lot of oil
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
4th Gear

The car drives fine. It was just those 2 instances. I have approx. 10,900 miles. I will check the fluid level and also do the old sniff check to make sure it, the fluid, isn't burnt. If those are good, then I will make an appointment with the dealer.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

Here's my $0.02. It's my understanding that an automatic transmission's gears should be changed only after a complete stop. I see too many people just go from drive to reverse or from reverse to drive before their car is completely stopped. I believe when you do that it puts a lot of stress on your tranny. Also, I try to give the tranny a second or so before I give it gas in order for the tranny to complete the gear change. If you instantaneously give it gas after you change from reverse to drive, you will hear the clunk more often.

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
My car has only 2000km (1200 miles) and it does something close to what you described but not failing to engage.

Whenever I go from reverse to drive or even vice versa, I hear a distinct clank in the transmission. Not enough to feel in the car but certaining hear it. I have't had my first service yet but will mention it for sure.
All the Honda's my family (and myself) have owned that had an AT were this way. 86, 96, 98, 99, 03, 08.

You'll put the car in a gear from park, and if you have the A/C off, radio off, windows down or the door open you'll hear a click/clunk as the gear engages.

The post about the time it takes for gear engagement is also true. It is not instantaneous. My Accords both take 2-3 seconds before I feel the gear click into action.

And for anyone who is always in a rush, stop before you make a gear change from a forward to reverse gear or vice versa. You're wearing out the transmission/motor mounts, the transmission itself and who knows what else. It just isn't good.

To the OP - You need to check for the dash indicator blinking, actually being lit or any other abnormality when this happens.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to 06AccordEX
Must see dealer for detail.

Share Your Car Price & Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force View Post
I hear a distinct clank in the transmission.
THAT is perfectly normal on a Honda. And so is the slight delay mentioned; on an auto Honda, you just can't put the tranny on 'D' and immediately stomp on the gas pedal, or you'd destroy your tranny in short order, as the motor would race before tranny engages. Good day.
JC
Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM
On hiatus...

Sounds like a cable adjustment might be needed. The dealership should take care of it for you.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
4th Gear

I checked the fluid level and did the old "sniff" check. The level was good and the fluid didn't smell burned. So, it looks like I am going to call the dealer and schedule a visit. Also, someone mentioned a blinking light on the dash. Nothing was blinking, it only indicated R. I was stopped going from Drive to Reverse. Now going from Reverse to Drive, sometimes I will shift before I am stopped. I know thats not good, but it happens. Like I said earlier, besides the two instances this happened, he car is running and shifting w/no problems.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 AM
4th Gear

**Update**
I just got back from the dealership. Here is what transpired. There were no codes showing up when they checked the computer. So they flashed/reset the computer. They also checked the linkage, there was no problem there. They also checked a contact sensor (magnetic sensor?). They said they made a small adjustment there.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again. If it does, then back it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.