Malfunction indicator lamp - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Fully loaded

Send a message via AIM to BeaufordBuddy
Malfunction indicator lamp

Tonight after work I pulled out of a parking lot and accelerated quickly down a long stretch of rural road. I probably reached a top speed of around 60 MPH. I then noticed the malfunction indicator lamp flash on the instrument panel (top left). I also noticed that I wasn't in drive ("D") but that I was accidentally in D3. Would cruising at this speed cause the malfunction indicator lamp to come on when in D3? Afterwards I shifted back to drive and the light didn't come back on. I drove for a few miles to see if it would come back on and it didn't.

When there is a true malfunction with the engine the light would stay on correct? Also, what is the maximum speed for third gear in a 2005 Accord V6?

The car has a little over 18,000 miles on it and has been pampered like a baby since the day I bought her. I hope this is just related to my quick acceleration and having the transmission shifted to D3.

Please advise. Thanks.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp:

Specs found here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
i VTEC, Do you?

Send a message via AIM to alabastardAV6
I have the same freaking problem, I think it has to do with the vtec changeover and cai intake.

Take it to advance auto and have them pull the codes. Should be close or similar to these P0300, P0301, P0305. All are misfire related. Check all hoses to make sure they are not loose, to rule that out. Did you remove the breather and coolant hose assembly per AEM directions?

I'm looking into issue on other forums, most of them seem to say that when the breather hose is run directly it will cause the MIL to come on during heavy acceleration. I plan on reinstalling that assembly when it gets a little warmer.

Mods:
35% Front 20% Rear Tint, AEM V2 CAI, TCSportline STB, Ingalls Engine Torque Damper, TL Rear Swaybar, Apexcone 6000k HIDs, Ebay Fogs with diy Lexan Lenses, White LED Interior & Trunk Cold Cathodes, OEM Splash Guards, Painted Engine Cover, RSX-S Rims, Centric Cyrostop Rotors, Gransport GS6 Pads. Alpine Type S SPS-17C2, Pioneer TS-A6962R.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabastardAV6 View Post
I have the same freaking problem, I think it has to do with the vtec changeover and cai intake.

Take it to advance auto and have them pull the codes. Should be close or similar to these P0300, P0301, P0305. All are misfire related. Check all hoses to make sure they are not loose, to rule that out. Did you remove the breather and coolant hose assembly per AEM directions?

I'm looking into issue on other forums, most of them seem to say that when the breather hose is run directly it will cause the MIL to come on during heavy acceleration. I plan on reinstalling that assembly when it gets a little warmer.
I checked the hose fittings and clamps. All is secure and nothing is loose.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of the coolant and breather hoses?

And what exactly do you mean remove the hoses per AEM directions? I did remove them when I first installed the intake but reattached them afterwards to the appropriate places. The breather hose is going from the inlet pipe to the valve cover which is how it was installed on the OEM intake (only with a smaller hose and metal loom in the middle). And the coolant hose is connected from the throttle body to some other fitting, not familiar with what it's called. Again, this is the same place the coolant hose was connected on the OEM intake with a small hose and metal loom in the middle. So really no hose positions have changed, just the size of the hoses.

I'm not real knowledgeable on this whole issue. I'd appreciate it if you could explain the basics for me. What do you mean when you say run the breather hose directly?

I just took the car out to a long stretch of road. I pretty much floored it until I got to about 80 MPH. I did this several times and the MIL didn't come on. Hopefully it was only a freak one time thing.

Specs found here
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Fully loaded

Anyone else?

Specs found here
Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 PM
i VTEC, Do you?

I just did the coolant and breather hose reassembly, but the cel still flashes. I pmed you the link to the discussion on the other forum. Don't know if its against forum rules to post it.

Mods:
35% Front 20% Rear Tint, AEM V2 CAI, TCSportline STB, Ingalls Engine Torque Damper, TL Rear Swaybar, Apexcone 6000k HIDs, Ebay Fogs with diy Lexan Lenses, White LED Interior & Trunk Cold Cathodes, OEM Splash Guards, Painted Engine Cover, RSX-S Rims, Centric Cyrostop Rotors, Gransport GS6 Pads. Alpine Type S SPS-17C2, Pioneer TS-A6962R.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Fully loaded

Got your PM and checked out the discussion on the other forum. Thanks for your help.

I will go to Advanced Auto on Saturday to have them read the codes. I have a feeling that it was just an engine misfire due to the fact I was driving in D3 and accelerating heavily.

I drove it all today and the light didn't come back on.

So yeah, hopefully this is all driver error and not anything serious.

Specs found here
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Fully loaded

Went by Advance Auto this weekend to have them hookup an OBD scanner to read the codes. A couple codes came back all having to do with cylinder misfire. I had him clear the codes out.

The car only has 18,000 miles on it. There's absolutely no way that the spark plugs need to be changed that early.

The light never came back on so it leads me to believe that this was just some random misfire due to the driving conditions at the time. The next time I take the car in for service (20k) I'll have the dealer take a look at the plugs and wires.

Specs found here
Old 11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
i VTEC, Do you?

The fix, TSB about a ecu upgrade. Gonna see the dealer if they will honor this for my 07. Might give me some bs about my intake though. Anyone have a specific TSB for the 07?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 08-022.pdf (73.2 KB, 983 views)

Mods:
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Fully loaded

That's excellent. Those are the exact codes that were returned for the MIL. And it applies to 2005 Accord V6s which is what I have. I gotta drop the car off tomorrow at the service department anyway so I'll just have them take care of this ECM upgrade. But like I said the codes were cleared out so hopefully they understand that I need it. And, my factory warranty expired in September so hopefully it's eligible for "goodwill consideration." Even if it isn't, 0.3 hour worth of work shouldn't cost that much, especially since there aren't any parts involved.

Thanks for posting that TSB. It came just in time. I'll drop her off at the dealer tomorrow then I have a road trip on Wednesday.

Specs found here
Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
i VTEC, Do you?

Simplified Version

Just did the Clear/Learn CKP Pattern learn myself, since my 07 should have current software.
The steps:
1. Clear the CKP pattern while the engine is stopped (Either by disconnecting the battery overnight or with a HDS).
2. Reattach Neg battery cable. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait for 30 seconds .
3. Test drive the vehicle on a level road decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 2,500 rpm to 1,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/Tin 1st gear.
4. Test-drive the vehicle on a level road decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 5,000 rpm to 3,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/T in 1st gear.
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON (II) and wait for 30 seconds The CKP learning procedure is completed.

Explained:
1. Remove Neg battery cable overnight to clear ECM of stored Crank Position Pattern(CKP). Most of us don't own a HDS.
2. Reattach Neg battery cable. Insert key and turn to ON (II),(Starter not engaged, accessories have power). Wait 30 seconds, then start car.
**Please make sure road used is lightly traveled or in no-mans land so you don't get run over doing this.
3. Put car in Drive 2nd gear for autos, lst gear for mt. Drive car on road up to 2,500 rpm then let go of throttle, let coast until 1,000 rpm (No brake).
4. Still in 2nd gear, drive up to 5,000 rpm then let go of throttle, coast down to 3,000 rpm (Again no brake).
5. Drive to suitable parking spot and park. Turn key to off pos.
6. Turn key to ON (II), let it stay there for 30 secs. After that the values should be learned.
7. Go enjoy your MIL free car.

This may or may not work for other years/ecm software versions, but it worked for mine. The reason we are getting the flashing cel is because when the battery is disconnected sometimes the stored CKP value for high rpm is lost or learned incorrectly. This causes the ECM to misintrepret the readings as a misfire on Cyl 1 & 5. (Codes P0301, P0305, & Sometimes along with P0300).

Mods:
Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Fully loaded

I'm not sure what all that means. I'm just going to have the dealer perform the software upgrade per the TSB you posted. Like I said, my MIL didn't remain on. It just blinked for a few seconds and went away. Haven't seen it since.

Specs found here
Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
i VTEC, Do you?

I just did the last part of the TSB basically. Plus didn't really feel like wasting time at the dealer. I figured since its an 07, it probably has a somewhat current software. Versus 05 that need upgrade. Posted the instructions for anyone who wants to try themselves.

Mods:
Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Fully loaded

Software update applied and thankfully it was covered under the goodwill consideration.

Specs found here
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Hybrid

This just happened to me pulled the codes and sure enough same codes.Problem is my car is a Hybrid and TSB says all except Hybrid.Anybody else have this happen with Hybrid or is there another TSB for Hybrid?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:56 AM
My car talks back

Happens to me on heavy accel' like when getting on the freeway from a short ramp. Brief flashing light. My local dealer's a jerk so I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll try the DIY above. Thanks for that.

Mod's: Evo2, 17MM Anti-sway bar, HID's, V2, Monster shift knob, tint 25/15/15, GM FM fluid, AV6P grounding kit, U-Haul hitch, XcarLink, Basslink II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.