ABS + snow - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 04:55 AM
1st Gear

ABS + snow

Hello Colleagues,

It is my first winter in Montreal with an Accord Coupe 2008. It finally snowed with the snow staying on the ground.

This morning when I was stoping, my brakes seemed to of stiffed up and was impossible to press down

I have to mention that my TPMS lights started flashing this morning, even though everything was fine yesterday.

My question is, is this normal for ABS brakes? I have never had them before, so I am not sure if this is the normal behavior. I would really hope not, as it seems dangerous.

Thank,
Rischa.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 AM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
abs will pulsate.....stiff is a pretty bad sign. did you let your car warm up first?
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznX TL View Post
abs will pulsate.....stiff is a pretty bad sign. did you let your car warm up first?
Yes I have an auto-starter and left it running for awhile before going outside.

But the brake petal is not suppose to stiffen?

Also, when pressing down on the brakes, a weird grinding noise is made. I aws told this is the ABS though

I am discouraged
Old 11-25-2008, 05:29 AM
5th Gear

Yes the grinding/pulsating sound is the abs. The brake pedal really isn't supposed to stiffen up though too early. Check your tire pressure and brake fluid.

Mods
OEM: Wing Spoiler, Side Molding, Splash Guards, V6 front bumper with coupe fog light covers
Non-OEM: Toshiba HIR Lows, Chrome Door Pillars, Blue LED interior lights, White LED trunk and plate lights, Autozone chrome grille, lower bumper, and trunk trim, V-LEDs tail/brake light LED bulbs
Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 AM
4th Gear

The pulsing and gridning of ABS is definitely scary the first few times, but is normal. (Something you will feel a few times this winter regardless of what kind of snow tires you put on there) I have noticed that the discs usually develop a slight amount of surface rust when its damp and they are left for a day or so, this usually grinds off in the first 2 or 3 brake pushes. (seems to be a honda thing, my 05 did it as well)

In the cold we have been getting the last couple weeks, the stiffening is normal until the car warms up, I have noticed it as well, however it does usually go away after the car gets warm (about 5-10 min of driving at the most). Keep in mind with your brakes, you are pushing fluid with that pedal every time, and all fluids get a little stiffer as things get cold!) We are supposed to get some slightly warmer weather this week, I would take the car out for a drive for a bit and see if getting it nice and warm makes a difference, if not, I would definitely get it checked. ~Slightly warmer means FINALLY above freezing again, this 18 degrees (negative 5 or something like that for our pals north of the border) in the day stinks in November!!!

Retired:
2005 Accord EX-L Coupe
1998 Accord EX
1991 Accord LX
1986 Civic DX

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by MatmanVT; 11-25-2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 AM
09ACCORDCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatmanVT View Post
The pulsing and gridning of ABS is definitely scary the first few times, but is normal. (Something you will feel a few times this winter regardless of what kind of snow tires you put on there) I have noticed that the discs usually develop a slight amount of surface rust when its damp and they are left for a day or so, this usually grinds off in the first 2 or 3 brake pushes. (seems to be a honda thing, my 05 did it as well)
Matman is right on, ABS pulsation is normal and it does take some getting used to. Also, surface rust on the rotors tends to appear after a couple of days of not driving these cars, it does cause a grinding feel and sound until it scrapes itself off. My 06 Acura RSX did it and so does my 05 TL. It's definitely a Honda thing. Not sure about the stiffness though.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM
4th Gear

I think what the OP meant was that when attempting to stop, he pressed down on the brake pedal and instead of the pedal going all the way down, the pulsating effect was felt (the effects of ABS).

I have noticed this on mine and the brake pedal does not go all the way down until the ABS has done its job.
* All interior bulbs replaced with LED.
* PP 5W-20, Wix Oil Filter

2004 Accord EX V6 Coupe
* Cold Air Intake
* LED Taillights
* PP 5W-20, Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Used to own...
2003 Accord LX-G
1997 Saturn SC2
1993 Saturn SL1
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-Laner View Post
I think what the OP meant was that when attempting to stop, he pressed down on the brake pedal and instead of the pedal going all the way down, the pulsating effect was felt (the effects of ABS).

I have noticed this on mine and the brake pedal does not go all the way down until the ABS has done its job.
that is exactly what I meant. I guess I have to get use to it.

I do not have my winter tires on yet. Michelin primacy alpine:

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 Tires

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...macy+Alpin+PA3
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.