95 Accord EX low beams suddenly dont work!!! - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Alien Bounty Hunter

Send a message via Yahoo to pdxfile
Exclamation Fixed!!! 95 Accord EX low beams suddenly dont work!!!

Hi all,

My 1st post in the forum!!!

This problem seems to be a real common one on Hondas..weird...

Anyway, last night my low beams worked fine. This morning, at 330 am (work time!), they would not come on, no matter what I did!

My high beams work fine. All dash lights, including the bright indicator, work fine. The turn light/side indicator lights DO come on still, like normal. The low beams just stopped working, without warning...

Please be gentle. I know this subject, or similar, seems to have been posted all over the internet. That's how I ended up here. The problem is, none of the solutions seem to work.

I have not replaced the bulbs, as they seem to look ok. They would have both gone at the same time. POssible, but I dont know...Kinda weird.

I do not have a volt meter, so I cant test stuff... sorry

The relay is American made(!?!?) The lights relay in the eng. compartment. Ive owned the car since the beginning, never changed the relay, so I dont get how an American relay ended up there. My car was stolen a couple of years ago, but I cant imagine they stole my light relay...Maybe they did LOL. Regardless, all the other lights work except the lows, so maybe not the relay.

Not ruling out the on column switch...Maybe???

Honestly, I dont have alot of money to spend on troubleshooting, so Im posting here...I can afford parts, although I do know the switch could be pricey..Junkyard maybe??

Anyone who can help me systematically go through things to help me troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks much for any help you can give!!

X

Last edited by pdxfile; 12-13-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: problem resolved, but wants to share results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I snapped my G string....

Send a message via Yahoo to Honda247 Send a message via Skype™ to Honda247
Checked the fuse. If thats ok, check the bulbs. Thats alll i got...... Hope this helps.
Apexcone Raptor V2 35W 5000K HIDs (9006)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k High/DRL (9005)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k Fogs (H11)
Painted Engine Cover

FRANCI5

Cardomain
Facebook Profile
Youtube
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
could be a possible loose ground or wiring issue....

when i had problems with my 93 a couple yrs back, one of them was a loose wire that would blow out the fuse for the right low beam.

check the wiring of the lights, going back to the harness, and let us know what you find out....

welcome aboard...
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Are you by any chance using high wattage headlight bulbs? If so, the high current can arc the headlight switch contact and eventuall erode the contact material so the headlights would suddently not work one day.

I found this out the hard way with an old CRX, which did not have a headlight relay, ie. the electrical power was switched directly by the headlight switch on the stalk......

Not sure if your car has a headlight relay or not, which may have failed after these many years.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Alien Bounty Hunter

Unhappy Headlight trouble round 2

Thank you for the responses, and thanks again for the help in trying to resolve this...
Here's what I've done so far....

I've checked the fuses for both the L and R headlights, and both seem intact. I have NOT changed them.

I'm having difficulty getting the low beam bulbs out, as I'm certain they have never been changed. I'm going to work at this. The bulbs also seem ok, as the filaments dont seem toasted, or there are no apparent burn marks on the bulbs, from outside visual inspection. I realize that this isnt the best way, but BOTH of the bulbs went out at the same time. Not saying that this isnt it, but maybe seems unlikely??

My car has a headlight relay in the engine compartment fuse box. If the relay is taken out, NO lighting works, including the interior gauges, outside marker lights and turn lights. With the relay in place, ALL of the other lights work, including the high beams, indicator inside, side front markers, corner lights, etc. Everything EXCEPT the low beams. SO, can the relay be only "partially" bad, or is a relay either good or bad, and no in between. As I mentioned, the relay is American made, yet I've never changed it myself, and I'm the original owner. Any clues there???

I cannot check the on column switch I suppose without replacing it altogether. I could pull one at a junkyard I suppose, and it could be that, but Im not sure as to cost. I'm not sure I want to spend the money if thats not it, but there is no way to know, huh>??

My car also has a dimmer relay. Could it have anything to do with that, and do I need to look at that as an option??

I do have an electrical system schematic, but am a bit fuzzy at reading them. I might be able to use it further to troubleshoot, if someone can translate it for me and is willing to take the time....

The ground/grounding has been mentioned several times online. Is there a way I can check that myself, i.e., following wired, wiggling them, disconnecting, reconnection, etc...???

Thanks again for the help...

Maybe I'm asking, "what if it was your car?" Maybe, what systematic series of steps would one take, short of changing all the components along the way?? Is it more likely one thing, than another, given the info Ive given??

X
Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Alien Bounty Hunter

Thumbs up the all too easy resolution....

So,

Sometimes, the simplest, most obvious solution is the correct one as well...

Both of the bulbs burned out at the same time!!!

For some reason, it just didnt make sense that they would both go out, which still makes me wonder why they did just that. Maybe nothing to worry about at all, but I'm still not sure maybe I need to dig further as to why. I'd rather head off more trouble if there is something I can do to prevent it...

I made the mistake(!?!?!?) of visually inspecting from the outside, which is not smart to begin with. I was having difficulty in removing the bulb, so I thought that maybe this was enough. Problem is, I was looking at the HIGH beam bulbs.. (OK, insert snickers/laughs, etc. here)...

So, yesterday, in the pouring rain, ahead of this huge storm we are supposed to get, I pulled the bulbs, and sure enough, they were toast...The driver side bulb was obvious, and I swapped it out 1st, and it worked immediately, no prob, leaving the passenger side. On visual inspection, there didn't seem to be anything wrong, but I replaced it, and voila..They both worked!!!

Yeaaaaaa!!

I know just enough about cars and repairs to make me dangerous. I really appreciate everyone's advice on this. Doesn't seem like a big deal to a person who heavily mods their car, but it does to be, to be able to get help on the simpler things like this....

Thank you alllll!!!!

X
Old 12-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Is it possible that one of the headlight had bee burned out already but you just didn't noticed it?

You may also notice that cars with one headligh out will make the other headlight burn brighter because there is less electrical load on the systme, this *slight* increase in voltage will unfortunately contribute to a shorter life on the second bulb.

So the bulbs may not have been burned out simutaniously, but rather in quick sucssession.

Good to hear you've got the *problem* solved though!
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.