Replace my LX hubcaps? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear

Replace my LX hubcaps?

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum (I've been reading some threads here for a few days and only just posted today), so please forgive me if I do something I'm not supposed to >_>

I bought an LX a couple weeks ago, and it's the only trim that doesn't come with alloy wheels..instead it has these hubcaps:

I wasn't looking to spend any money on the rims, but it does bother me sometimes when I look at my hubcaps. One of my friends offered to give me a set of '98 Accord EX coupe v6 stock rims that are in pretty good condition (I think one or two might have a little curb rash, but still in pretty impressive condition for its age). Should I keep the hubcaps? Should I put on the '98 stock rims? Here's a picture I found online of the stock rims:

Sorry, I don't have any photoshop skills or else I'd try and put them on my car's wheels...

P.S. My tires are 215/60/16, and the 98 Accord's tires (which are now bald) are 205/60/16..shouldn't be much of a difference right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

I would suggest you get your friend's wheels (if they are free or just take him out to a dinner or something). Then drive your car until your current tires wear out and swtich to your friend's wheels. Problem solved and money saved.

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm well the 98 rims are free, she was going to get rid of them anyways because they've been sitting on her porch. I'd have to buy new tires for them in the future if I'm going to wait for my current tires to wear out..but I figure my tires won't wear out for a loooong time since they're brand new. I was thinking about changing it out purely because of aesthetics..using my tires on the old 98 rims. My question was..should I bother doing the switch, or just keep the hubcaps :/
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV

If your current tires will fit on the 98 rims, then go for it! If the rims are in decent shape as you pointed out, then they will look much better than HUB CAPS! Go for it!

Haves:
20% Tint / 55W 5K HID / Debadged / Rebadged with HFP Emblems / No DRLs / 7th Gen Coupe Headrests / Oddyssey Lower Grill / 20" Privat Vulkans 20x8.5 45 ET / 245 35 20 Nitto Extreme ZR 555's / HFP Suspension / TSX RSB / Magnaflow CBE / Crosstour Shifter / Xpel Fog Light Film

Wants:
Rearview Camera / Hacked Navi

Previous Rides:
2000 CLK 320
1995 3000GT
1988 Supra Turbo
1982 Supra
1985 Accord
Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM
6th Gear

The 98 rims will be 15 inch and your 08 is 16 inch, but the bolt pattern is the same.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to bruceleroy
do it!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
4th Gear

ride on the steelies!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehonda View Post
The 98 rims will be 15 inch and your 08 is 16 inch, but the bolt pattern is the same.
Ah, actually it's 16"..it was the Coupe EX V6..only V6 trims came with 16" wheels that year.

I think I will do it..but does anyone know how much it costs to get the tires unmounted/remounted? Like ballpark price so I know where to call around/what price to go with?

Also..does changing rims void warranty in any way? (sorry I've never changed rims before)
Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahplayer View Post
...but does anyone know how much it costs to get the tires unmounted/remounted? Like ballpark price so I know where to call around/what price to go with?
Ballpark for unmounting/remounting/balancing tires is ~$20/corner. My local alignment guy will do it for $5-$10/corner (depending on how low the profile of the tire is). Goto www.tirerack.com & see their recommended installers in your area, and how much they charge per-wheel/tire. $15/corner seems fair for an indie' shop, from which you didn't buy the tires from. Just reuse the valve-stems from your current tires (otherwise they run $2-$3 each).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahplayer
Also..does changing rims void warranty in any way? (sorry I've never changed rims before)
No, the manufacturer's limited warranty will still be in effect.

Keep in mind that your '09 Accord LX sedan's wheels have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) and the '98 Accord V6 sedan's wheels don't, so you'll have do something about the newly activated light on the instrument cluster.

Also, since your Accord's computer will sense TPMS-error, it'll therefore not allow you to deactivate your VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist, basically traction-control for when there is excess wheel-slippage detected). The VSA is generally deactivated for enthusiastic/spirited driving and/or when in snow/mud conditions where max' tire-spin/rotation is desired at low speeds to prevent getting stuck.

{a few Honda/Acura vehicles in the past/present/future}
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris_x11 View Post
Ballpark for unmounting/remounting/balancing tires is ~$20/corner. My local alignment guy will do it for $5-$10/corner (depending on how low the profile of the tire is). Goto www.tirerack.com & see their recommended installers in your area, and how much they charge per-wheel/tire. $15/corner seems fair for an indie' shop, from which you didn't buy the tires from. Just reuse the valve-stems from your current tires (otherwise they run $2-$3 each).

No, the manufacturer's limited warranty will still be in effect.

Keep in mind that your '09 Accord LX sedan's wheels have TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) and the '98 Accord V6 sedan's wheels don't, so you'll have do something about the newly activated light on the instrument cluster.

Also, since your Accord's computer will sense TPMS-error, it'll therefore not allow you to deactivate your VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist, basically traction-control for when there is excess wheel-slippage detected). The VSA is generally deactivated for enthusiastic/spirited driving and/or when in snow/mud conditions where max' tire-spin/rotation is desired at low speeds to prevent getting stuck.
Ah thanks for the link, it looks like I'll probably hit up the Big O Tires or one of the indie shops nearby..

And wow, I had no idea that changing the rims while still keeping my tires would affect the TPMS; I thought it'd still work.. is there anyway to get it to work after switching the rims?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:39 PM
banned

Send a message via AIM to bruceleroy
you can have the tire place switch over your TPMS then you dont need to get it reprogrammed
Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear

It looks like it'll be $80 from Big O or $82 from American Tire Depot..including moving the TPMS over..they both mentioned "if it fits" though. Anyone know if there'd be a problem with fittage?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
your stock wheels are 16x6.5j and so are the 98 wheels. so you should have no problem using your stock tires and tmps.
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Search.

Yes... Those hub caps are hideous. One of the major reasons why I got an LX-P
Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Out of Control

I can sell you my stock 17's. There in great shape! The tires are in good condition. I'm asking $500. Since you're in So Cal, you'll save money on shipping as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.