Can I put a Front Shock Tower Bar in an 09 LX Sedan? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 05:38 AM
2nd Gear

Can I put a Front Shock Tower Bar in an 09 LX Sedan?

I see that the EX's have a front shock tower bar that the LX's don't have. So this leads to a number of questions.

Does the bar improve handling? If it does, can I install it in my car?

If I can have it installed, what's a good one to get? Would it void my warranty? And if I had a shop or the dealer install it what's typical labor time or cost for it?

This would be the first real mod I've done for this car unless you count the tires. :P

Ballpetter: 2009 Honda Fit Sport - Storm Silver Metallic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 05:48 AM
SIK NITEhawk

the shoch tower bar doesnt make much f a difference......the lx doesnt come with a bar because it is base model....you could add a bar if you wanted to.....check out my headlight overlay....what do u think???
Old 01-31-2009, 05:53 AM
On hiatus...

I wouldn't see why you couldn't install it in your car - the design is universal over the trim lines... I'm not sure if it improved handling (though most "race" cars seem to have them), but I think it provides extra rigidity and doesn't allow as much cowl flex and could possibly prevent mushrooming of the shock towers over times (a very bad problem on non-strut brace equipped E46's).
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 AM
New moddin' canvas

Quote:
check out my headlight overlay....what do u think???
Ugly and cheap looking IMO.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Vtahk didnt kick in

Send a message via AIM to Gosha
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord08201 View Post
the shoch tower bar doesnt make much f a difference......the lx doesnt come with a bar because it is base model....you could add a bar if you wanted to.....check out my headlight overlay....what do u think???
too overdone, too much going on in the front...no my thing
Old 01-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhadden View Post
I wouldn't see why you couldn't install it in your car - the design is universal over the trim lines... I'm not sure if it improved handling (though most "race" cars seem to have them), but I think it provides extra rigidity and doesn't allow as much cowl flex and could possibly prevent mushrooming of the shock towers over times (a very bad problem on non-strut brace equipped E46's).
I doubt it would help in mushrooming as the stock brace does not clamp the whole diameter of tower bolts, in fact it doesn't even use any of stock bolts of the upper strut mount.
IMO it just stiffens both towers from some flexing in turns.
As for installing the OEM one, you will have to get EX+ upper strut tower mounts as the LX does not have bolt studs to mount it.
3rd party strut brace that use same 3 mounting bolts at top strut would work.

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Old 01-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Realeyes realize reallies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Ugly and cheap looking IMO.

LOL I LOVE THIS PLACE!... Dont ask any questions unless you are ready for an unbiased answer

... which is why I never ask em

Mods So Far:
Debadged
Switchblade Key Fob
8k HID's
Tint (20% front - 5% back)

Future Mods:
H&R Springs
Auto-Up Windows
Speakers and Sub
Old 01-31-2009, 07:21 AM
5th Gear

I asked this question awhile ago and it was determined, as Edaccord08 has said, that the bolts needed to mount the brace are not present on the LX/LX-P trim levels. Replacing the LX stock bolts would require pretty much taking apart the suspension, so I don't think it would be worth it to get the OEM one.

Mods
OEM: Wing Spoiler, Side Molding, Splash Guards, V6 front bumper with coupe fog light covers
Non-OEM: Toshiba HIR Lows, Chrome Door Pillars, Blue LED interior lights, White LED trunk and plate lights, Autozone chrome grille, lower bumper, and trunk trim, V-LEDs tail/brake light LED bulbs
Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentWashington View Post
I asked this question awhile ago and it was determined, as Edaccord08 has said, that the bolts needed to mount the brace are not present on the LX/LX-P trim levels. Replacing the LX stock bolts would require pretty much taking apart the suspension, so I don't think it would be worth it to get the OEM one.
Is there a good third party one that wouldn't cost me a small fortune to have it installed?

Ballpetter: 2009 Honda Fit Sport - Storm Silver Metallic
Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacow View Post
Is there a good third party one that wouldn't cost me a small fortune to have it installed?
Not yet... 8th gen accords are still "new" to the market.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord08201 View Post
check out my headlight overlay....what do u think???
Hideous, I hope it is only photoshopped to the car. Also, you should open a new thread for that.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear

How do i install the strut bar?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacow View Post
Ultra racing has one. It costs more than the OEM one, but you can use it with the strut tower bolts you already have.

http://throwdownperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=288

Installation couldn't be easier. Take the 3 nuts off the bolts you seen on top of the strut in your engine bay. Put the bar on with the bolts going through the corresponding holes (there will be extra holes that fit the EX that has more bolts). Reattach & tighten the nuts you removed. If you know how to use a simple wrench, you can do it yourself. Note: there will barely be enough bolt exposed for the nuts to attach securely. Tighten it as best you can, but don't go ape-sh*t on it.

As for the difference, most say it doesn't make that much of a difference, some will disagree & say they notice a big difference. Your experience may vary.

Mods
TSX rear swaybar
wing spoiler
P2R throttle body spacer

To do:
strut tower bar
spacers
chrome handles
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaccord08 View Post
I doubt it would help in mushrooming as the stock brace does not clamp the whole diameter of tower bolts, in fact it doesn't even use any of stock bolts of the upper strut mount.
IMO it just stiffens both towers from some flexing in turns.
As for installing the OEM one, you will have to get EX+ upper strut tower mounts as the LX does not have bolt studs to mount it.
3rd party strut brace that use same 3 mounting bolts at top strut would work.
In the models with the front strut bar, I thought the top hats on the stock suspension had these bolts built into them? That's why the aftermarket coilovers would have these two extra bolts on the top hats right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilezen View Post
Not yet... 8th gen accords are still "new" to the market.
TheTick247 said it. Ultra Racing makes one. Mark at Throwdown could give you more info Megacow. Installing it should take no more than 15 minutes. It's just a matter of removing the 3 bolts (for models without the OEM strut tower brace) connecting the struts to the strut towers, putting the bar in and bolting everything back together.

Also, and this is just my opinion, if you're going to do a front strut bar on a model like the LX(P) that doesn't have it from the factory, I would at least upgrade the rear sway bar as well. Since you are adding a brace up front and stiffening the chassis up front, it's going to cause some understeer on our FWD cars. So I'd balance it out a little by adding a slightly thicker rear sway bar or rear strut bar if there even is one. Ultra Racing probably makes that too for all I know. Again, just my theory, take it with a grain of salt or however else you like it.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket View Post
In the models with the front strut bar, I thought the top hats on the stock suspension had these bolts built into them? That's why the aftermarket coilovers would have these two extra bolts on the top hats right?

TheTick247 said it. Ultra Racing makes one. Mark at Throwdown could give you more info Megacow. Installing it should take no more than 15 minutes. It's just a matter of removing the 3 bolts (for models without the OEM strut tower brace) connecting the struts to the strut towers, putting the bar in and bolting everything back together.

Also, and this is just my opinion, if you're going to do a front strut bar on a model like the LX(P) that doesn't have it from the factory, I would at least upgrade the rear sway bar as well. Since you are adding a brace up front and stiffening the chassis up front, it's going to cause some understeer on our FWD cars. So I'd balance it out a little by adding a slightly thicker rear sway bar or rear strut bar if there even is one. Ultra Racing probably makes that too for all I know. Again, just my theory, take it with a grain of salt or however else you like it.
Yes , they do the EX+ have like 6 studs to mount to tower and OEM strut tower brace . where the LX/LX-P has only 3 studs for mounting only (nothing for strut brace ) .

2008 Accord LX, Alabaster Silver Metallic
gone 1985 XR4Ti
gone 1974 Opel Manta rally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.