Oil Change Intervals - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Greg

Oil Change Intervals

I am taking a look in my owners manual and I see that it says the oil should be changed every 7,500 miles or 12 months. I have never heard of changing oil at that many miles unless it is synthetic. I change my oil every 3,000 miles, as is normal. I guess my question is, is it safe to change your oil at these intervals?

P.S. - It also says to change the oil every 15,000 miles. Sounds strange to me.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

A 3000 mile oil change was normal in 1960. You are way out of touch with current oil standards and engines. What Dad told you then is not true now. A safe bet with normal petrol oil (not synthetic) is 5000 miles. The same goes for the filter. Many have gone twice that mileage (with the same filter) with no ill effects. It is not unusual for some synthetics to go 25K (with the same filter) and produce a stellar used oil analysis.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

lol. im changing oil evrey 3 k using mobile 1 full synthetic...I guess my cars engine is verry happy

Old cars
1998 Kia sephia V4 1.8 l. This one made the hole in my pocket.(Has Been Taken By Wildwood Cops)
1990 Jeep Cherokee Laerdo Wagon. V6 4.0 L (Miss this one)

scared With Transmissions Specially for Honda.

REPUBLIC OF GEORGIA
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM
5th Gear

I use the MM which is programmed for regular oil, I just use synth. I think this pretty conservative. I like synth cause it saves waste oil, and saves me time. Win Win.

It also depends how you drive, Would I do 3.5k intervals for regular oil all city sure, I would easily do 4.5-5 mostly highway, which is where the MM helps.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Accordse View Post
lol. im changing oil evrey 3 k using mobile 1 full synthetic...I guess my cars engine is verry happy

Only the company that you buy your oil from is very happy. You are wasting extreme amounts of money, oil, and effort so......they couldn't be happier! Your engine could not care less. It must be nice to have that much money to piss it off and actually think you are doing your car good. You are a riot!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaudio2 View Post
I use the MM which is programmed for regular oil, I just use synth. I think this pretty conservative. I like synth cause it saves waste oil, and saves me time. Win Win.

It also depends how you drive, Would I do 3.5k intervals for regular oil all city sure, I would easily do 4.5-5 mostly highway, which is where the MM helps.
Incredibly sensible.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:24 PM

If you're changing your oil every 3k with Mobil 1 you're wasting that oil.

A good quality conventional oil is capable of somewhat extended service.

That's why Honda, GM and many others are using oil life monitors calibrated to whatever oil they specify. Most GM (except 4718M spec) oil monitors are calibrated for regular oil as are Honda (except the HTO-06 spec in the RDX).

I know that most GM, under the right circumstances will run up to 11k on regular oil.

As a rule of thumb if you're not comfortable with long OCI, if you're on the highway a lot 6k to 7500 isn't bad. Lots of city driving, 3 to 5k.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Greg

Wow, I must have been really out of touch with the times! So a mix of city/highway and I should be able to run the oil about 5K? That sounds good to me!

3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint

Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Only the company that you buy your oil from is very happy. You are wasting extreme amounts of money, oil, and effort so......they couldn't be happier! Your engine could not care less. It must be nice to have that much money to piss it off and actually think you are doing your car good. You are a riot!!!!!!!!!
Riot friend, seems to be you are fery smart.... well you shuod tell those people who works in shop, tu write more milage on the stiker, which they put on the car winshield after you replace oil for the next oil change.... i just followd them was doing the same... riot

Old cars
1998 Kia sephia V4 1.8 l. This one made the hole in my pocket.(Has Been Taken By Wildwood Cops)
1990 Jeep Cherokee Laerdo Wagon. V6 4.0 L (Miss this one)

scared With Transmissions Specially for Honda.

REPUBLIC OF GEORGIA
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaudio2 View Post

What is "the MM"?

3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint

Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 AM
RIP :(

i run valvoline full synthetic oil in my car and i change it around 5K miles. I really would like to change my oil every 3K miles, but it is kind of expensive.
Sound-Kenwood navi, Polk audio 4 chan amp, Kicker solo baric L5
Engine-UR crank pulley,K&N air filter,03 CLS muffllers
Old 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Go Black and Gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Stone View Post
What is "the MM"?
Maintenance Minder, it is a feature that the newer Accords have that tells you what your oil life is and what maintenance services your car needs.

2011 Odyssey EX-L Smoky Topaz Metallic-Mom's
2010 Accord Crosstour EX-L 4WD NAVI White Diamond Pearl-Dad's
2008 Civic LX Coupe Alabaster Silver Metallic-Sister's
2006 Accord EX V6 Sedan Carbon Bronze Pearl-Future BIL's
2003 Accord EX V6 Sedan Desert Mist Metallic-Brother's
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe San Marino Red-Mine

Gone But Not Forgotten
2002 Accord EX V6 Sedan Nighthawk Black Pearl
2000 Odyssey LX Dark Emerald Pearl
1996 Accord EX-L Sedan Heather Mist
Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
AC6DN

I used, whatever full-synthetic 5W-20, is the cheapest, and I change it every 7,500-8,500 mile or so. I change the filter at the same time. I'd go to 10,000 or so, if I had the time to get the oil tested, to make sure it was still OK...

When I was using std oil, I was going to 5,000-6,000 mile, and I replaced the filter each time...
Toyota 4x4 Extra Cab Truck, 2.4L SR5, 22RTE (Turbo) 1987, I still have.
Honda Accord, 1984, 1800cc? L4,
Plymouth Arrow, 1978?, 1800cc?, L4 (POS)
Chevy, Monza, 1976, 350cu, V8, My funnest car, think muscle car, poorly made...
Olds Starfire? 1975, 231cu odd fire, V6,
My first car, 1965 Chevy Impala 283cu V8, (I got during the mid 1980)
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

R Texas F's suggestions are appropriate. We had an 02 Accord V6, did used oil analyses, found that we could go about 6500 miles with Pennzoil dino 5W20, adding Lube Control to reduce oxidation and counter fuel dilution, doing 75% highway driving. Tests showed that we could go farther using Pennzoil Platinum, into the 7-7500 mile range.

I would suggest that anyone thinking about going more than 7500 miles on an oil change interval do a used oil analysis to see what's going on. Running longer intervals, the essential additives are depleted as is the oil's acid fighting ability. You need to know when it's time to change based on your driving habits.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:47 AM
banned

Send a message via AIM to Accordlover
The thing you really need to remember is that while the 6th gen Accord may have a 7500 oil change interval, we are driving cars that are going (if not already) to develop leaks with age and what not. Some of the four cylinders are also burning massive amounts of oil.

5k is ok, I have only one very minor oil leak and I have to add about 1/3 a qt every 1,000 miles. My car burns a little bit due to the constant high revs going down the freeway at 3000 RPMS for 120 miles everyday.

I have considered putting a synthetic in to see how the oil usage was affected but have not done so due to my fear of the oil causing more leaks. People have told me otherwise but I am still iffy. I may do a synthetic blend next cycle, then convert to Mobil1 and change it when the Maint Req light flashes or comes on solid. (6000-7500 miles).

Since I don't do my own work, the one thing I do like about 3-5k oil change intervals with dino is that I keep updated on my brake wear, tread wear, fluid levels, CV boots, hoses, and all the other things honda inspects with their $24.95 oil change.

One thing I have noticed is 2 of the 3 dealers that have changed my oil put 5k intervals on their tags now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.