30,000 mile service question - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
4th Gear

30,000 mile service question

I recently hit 30,000 miles on my accord and was wondering what a fair price was on a 30,000 mile servicing. And i have a few questions:

1. I called around and got some prices as high as 540 and as low as 429. I was wonder if 429 is a fair price, personally I think it is pretty ridiculous.

2.So I might go a head and perform the maintenance myself. I did a little bit of searching around and I just wanted to make sure this is everything that needs to be replaced or done?

Replace air filter
Rotate tires
Replace brake fluid
Replace transmission fluid
Replace rear differential fluid
Replace cabin air filter

3.is replacing the rear diff fluid essential? because thats something I do not think i can do myself..is there a diy, i did not find one

Accord sedan 2005 EX-L i4 [TRADED]
miles: 40,XXX
DDM 8000K HIDS | 20% Tint | Eibach Pro | OEM fogs | Rotora | Hawk | Switch blade key | iSimple ipod adapter | 2-way Alarm/ remote starter | Intake Resonator delete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

don't think we have a rear differential
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Rear differential? It's a front wheel drive car so no.

Your list looks good but I'll add one thing. There is a filter for the auto trans and changing it is sensible @ 30K. Search for it here on the forum. There were several threads about it along with diagrams etc. Most dealerships are not even aware of it.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

A 30k service where I work, using Honda parts, including brake fluid change is around $200 tops. That would include a trans filter if it's a 4 cylinder, the 6 is much more involved to change.

There is no rear diff fluid on an Accord, because it doesn't have one.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 03-25-2009, 02:54 PM
6th Gear

No rear differential on a front wheel drive Accord. Replacing the air filter, cabin filter, transmission filter and a tire rotation should be all that you really need to do. How are the wiper blades? I don't believe you need to change the brake fluid so soon... IIRC, this is done during the 120k mile 'major' tune-up along with the engine coolant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Honda recommended maint. schedule (not to be confused with the dealer's) is available in the owner's manual, if you have one. Replacing the cabin air filter is skill level 1 in the 7th gen Accords and is definitely NOT worth the price that some Honda dealerships charge. The local Honda dealership here wants $79.99 + tax to replace this filter. I can do it myself in less than 5 mins. There is a DIY (do it yourself) guide on this forum.

I didn't have my trans. filter changed when I had the drain and refill done at 30k miles (now at 45k miles) as I didn't know about it. I will definitely have it changed during the next change interval at 60k.

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Too old to tolerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagboy View Post
...3.is replacing the rear diff fluid essential? because thats something I do not think i can do myself..is there a diy, i did not find one
Last time I check mine, it was bone dry. So dry that it broke and became double wish bone suspension. Since then, it drives better...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Make that BluFlsh

The brake fluid is to be changed every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, and will rust brake components, causing more expensive repairs (master cylinder, caliper parts) later.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Boosted Sedan

I was just asking myself this same question ... I am 4k over my 30k service (now at 34k for the confused lol) ... Should i be running to the dealer for this service or should I wait considering i bought the car at 29k and had my first oil change at 32kish .... air filter i have checked looks good, still white on both sides no major issue's ... as for the tires they should be rotated, what about the other stuff ... car is running great thus far ...

Even though i love my 7th gen more and more each day since i have purchased it, one thing i would love to change is the brakes, ran with an Si today for a few and needed to do a quick stop for a traffic light and brakes felt like mush lol ... don't really feel comfortable with those things, now my GTi way back when all i did was replace the rotors (slotted and drilled) and pads (green stuff) and night and day difference plus more firmer pedal feel ... just thought i add ...

Vehicle History:
2009 Honda Accord Sedan I4 (Wife's first Honda)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6MT W/Navigation
2000 VW GTI VR6
1994 Honda Accord Sedan I4
1989 Honda Accord Sedan I4
1988 Buick Park Ave V6 (First Car)
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael73 View Post
Last time I check mine, it was bone dry. So dry that it broke and became double wish bone suspension. Since then, it drives better...
LMAO yea I deserved that, wow talk about a brain fart. I copied and pasted that list from another thread and thought it all pertained to the accord.

@ItsaHonda my blades are awesome just switched to rain-x blades

@Fredsvt WOW 200 bucks I think I should come down to morganville and perform the service haha

DDM 8000K HIDS | 20% Tint | Eibach Pro | OEM fogs | Rotora | Hawk | Switch blade key | iSimple ipod adapter | 2-way Alarm/ remote starter | Intake Resonator delete
Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Why spend mega bucks on rainx blades, when you can get refills for the stock blades for under $10?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
6th Gear

and they work better too
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Why spend mega bucks on rainx blades, when you can get refills for the stock blades for under $10?
They dont cost that much more I found the driver side blade for $14 on ebay and passenger side for $11

Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Make that BluFlsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagboy View Post
They dont cost that much more I found the driver side blade for $14 on ebay and passenger side for $11
That's about 3 times what refills cost, and you can't buy refills for the rainx blades. Do you still have the oem blades? Those fancy rubber blades are a serious waste of $$. I bought my work truck used, and the original blades were already gone, so when I saw what auto-parts stores charge for these rubber blades (that have no refills), I was very disappointed. I'm seriously thinking about buying some oem blades for the truck, so at least I will only have to buy ONE pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.