Towing Capacity??? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43 AM
A1 Status

Arrow Towing Capacity???

Does Anyone know what the towing capacity is for a 2004 Accord Sedan 4-Cyl??
Im buying 2 seadoos (jetskis made by seadoo) plus the double trailer that comes with them. I wanna see if i can pull them with my car or if i ABSOLUTELY need a truck.
Thanks
oh and weight of the seadoos is about 600 lbs. each and the trailer i still am not sure the of the weight.
2 JL 13.5 W3v3's IN CUSTOM BOX & JL 1000.1 AMP W/ OPTIMA YELLOW TOP TRUNK BATTERY
7" KENWOOD EXCELON DDX812 TOUCHSCREEN DECK & BASS KNOB
6 PIECE CHROME PILLAR SET
SMOKED TAILS
LED INTERIOR
& A PIMP INSIDE SO NO NEED TO PIMP THE RIDE

/oO___H___Oo\
| =_/______\_= |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 AM
4th Gear

1000 lbs

2 Jet skis on an aluminum trailer will probably bring right to the limit.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 AM
6th Gear

600+600+300(trailer) I think you can tow 1 but not two.
2 Door
USA-SPEC PA15 HON2
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

I tow with one jetski with no problem, i think total maybe like 1200.. I have a Honda Aquatrax
Old 04-03-2009, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

why would anyone want to tow anything with a 4 cyl?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
why would anyone want to tow anything with a 4 cyl?
Someone who doesn't want to buy a truck/van/SUV to tow their jetski.

1995 Yamaha FZR600 - sold
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver) - sold
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl) - sold
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal) - totalled; sold
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown) - first car; sold
Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlee View Post
Someone who doesn't want to buy a truck/van/SUV to tow their jetski.
it's very dangerous trying to tow with a 4 cyl, it doesn't provide enough power to go up hill, pulling up on the freeway ram, trying to merge at freeway speed. u could ofcourse, but u risk over forcing ur engine + putting urself in dangerous driving situation .
Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 PM
6th Gear

Speaking from my past jet ski experience, good luck getting both skis and the trailer off an inclinded boat ramp. I used to have a small blazer 4x4 and it came in handy when the ramp was slick (from the people pulling boats out). Also, you will have to back into the water pretty far most likely dipping the brakes and exhaust in the water each time since the car will be squated down from the incline of the ramp. By the time you pack up the extra fuel, life jackets, tools, etc. you will need a bigger vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fame925 View Post
Does Anyone know what the towing capacity is for a 2004 Accord Sedan 4-Cyl??
Im buying 2 seadoos (jetskis made by seadoo) plus the double trailer that comes with them. I wanna see if i can pull them with my car or if i ABSOLUTELY need a truck.
Thanks
oh and weight of the seadoos is about 600 lbs. each and the trailer i still am not sure the of the weight.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin View Post
it's very dangerous trying to tow with a 4 cyl, it doesn't provide enough power to go up hill, pulling up on the freeway ram, trying to merge at freeway speed. u could ofcourse, but u risk over forcing ur engine + putting urself in dangerous driving situation .
I wouldn't recommend towing with a 4-cylinder Accord either, but I don't think there would be an issue if he's not driving in those conditions (up a hill or on the freeway) and follows the recommendation in the owner's manual...

"Your Honda has been designed primarily to carry passengers and their luggage. You can use it to tow a trailer if you carefully observe the load limits, use the proper equipment, and follow the guidelines in this section.

The total weight of the hitch and trailer (with brakes) plus its luggage must not exceed the maximum towing weight.

Max. towing weight
Trailer without brake = 1,102 lbs
Trailer with brake = 3,307 lbs

The 'towbar downward load' should never exceed 50 kg (110 lbs) on 4-cylinder models/70 kg (155 lbs) on 6-cylinder models. This is the amount of weight the trailer puts on the hitch when it is fully-loaded. For a trailer weights of less than 500 kg (1,102 lbs) on 4-cylinder models/700 kg (1,550 lbs) on 6-cylinder models, as a rule of thumb, the towbar downward load should be 10 percent of the total trailer package.

For example, if the trailer and its load weigh 225 kg (500 lbs), the towbar downward load should be 22.5 kg (50 lbs). Adjust trailerís luggage to change the towbar downward load. Start by putting approximately 60 percent of the luggage toward the front and 40 percent toward the rear. With a trailer package of more than 500 kg (1,102 lbs) on 4-cylinder models/700 kg (1,550 lbs) on 6-cylinder models, you may need to adjust the luggage weight toward the rear. Never load the trailer so the back is heavier than the front. This takes weight off your carís rear axle and reduces traction."

Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

I have experienced when the brakes on the accord started to fade, on a long steep grade. I wasn't even towing or loaded to capacity. I would follow their stated capacity limit. The accord 4 may not have enough engine or enough brakes, other than short hauls.

But there are small sedans and SUV's that can handle 2000-3000lbs and you don't have to get a full truck necessarily.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:16 PM
6th Gear

Well then, if the 4cyl can tow 1,100 lbs, looking at the SeaDoo website the PWC's weigh between 700 to over 800 lbs (dry weight witout gas and oil, etc.) so regardless of which ones he purchases he would be way over the limit not counting the trailer and extras. He could tow one safely. I towed one back in the day with my old cavalier with no problem but that was when PWC's weighed about half what they do now and the trailer had an extra long hitch so I did not get the car in the water.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend towing with a 4-cylinder Accord either, but I don't think there would be an issue if he's not driving in those conditions (up a hill or on the freeway) and follows the recommendation in the owner's manual...

"Your Honda has been designed primarily to carry passengers and their luggage. You can use it to tow a trailer if you carefully observe the load limits, use the proper equipment, and follow the guidelines in this section.

The total weight of the hitch and trailer (with brakes) plus its luggage must not exceed the maximum towing weight.

Max. towing weight
Trailer without brake = 1,102 lbs
Trailer with brake = 3,307 lbs
Old 04-03-2009, 07:15 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra94563 View Post
I have experienced when the brakes on the accord started to fade, on a long steep grade. I wasn't even towing or loaded to capacity. I would follow their stated capacity limit. The accord 4 may not have enough engine or enough brakes, other than short hauls.

Gear down
2 Door
USA-SPEC PA15 HON2
Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Well then, if the 4cyl can tow 1,100 lbs, looking at the SeaDoo website the PWC's weigh between 700 to over 800 lbs (dry weight witout gas and oil, etc.) so regardless of which ones he purchases he would be way over the limit not counting the trailer and extras. He could tow one safely. I towed one back in the day with my old cavalier with no problem but that was when PWC's weighed about half what they do now and the trailer had an extra long hitch so I did not get the car in the water.
If the trailer has its own brakes, then he'd be under the weight limit.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Rule Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to stevencrosbie
Oh man.....

so....you have

Jet Skis: 2x 600=1200 lbs
Trailer: 500ish lbs maybe
Gas for each Ski: 50 more lbs
GVWR: 4125lbs
Actual weight:?

You will be overweight and I still haven't found out what the Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Ratio of the Accord is.

If you fill your Accord with people, ski gear, and tow these skis, you will be dangerous on the road. As well, a good trailer will have a 10% tongue weight. That 10% is of the trailer weight, so this case would be around 170 lbs...which is over the allowable tongue weight.

Lastly, when you are trying to pull this weight out of the loading ramp, you are going to be in serious trouble. You need good power and gearing to get these skis out of the water. There will be a lot of stress on the drivetrain while you are trying to do this.

I suggest you get yourself a good vehicle made to do this work. Any small pickup or SUV should do just fine.

2011 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Diesel.
2012 VW Golf TDI 4dr Tech Package 6MT

Forum Rules and Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Here's a hint - if you don't want to be judged by what you write on an internet forum then don't write on an internet forum.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
6th Gear

Page 237 of my 03 manual states the the total weight of the trailer and everything loaded in it must not exceed 1,000 lbs. The GVWR is the car plus the trailer. Page 240 then contradicts itself and is probably a general statement for all vehicles which says that any trailer having a total weight of 1,000 lbs or more be equipped with it's own electric brake. It probably should not be in there.

Take the car to U-Haul and they will tell you what hitch you can install on the car and what you can and cannot pull,etc. They are very informative and will not install a hitch that is not meant for the vehicle.

Quote:
If the trailer has its own brakes, then he'd be under the weight limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.