O2 sensor issue - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

O2 sensor issue

03 Ex 2.4L

Replaced O2 sensor (both, but I'm referring to one in manifold)

it's got 8K miles on it since replacement and it's already throwing a code for it to be replaced again.

WTF???? I bought it from the dealer thinking it'd last longer (cause first replacement came from Autozone @ 100 bucks and was bad too.

When I replaced the sensor this time with dealer part it turned out I had a broken connector clip for the O2 harness, so I zip tied it together (mostly cause it's over 200 bucks for a whole engine wiring harness)

What is really going on with these O2 sensors?
Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks for help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 04:34 AM

What's the code it's been giving you?
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

2 codes present.... PO1157 fuel air metering, then a code PO121 O2 sensor something....
Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cribb View Post
When I replaced the sensor this time with dealer part it turned out I had a broken connector clip for the O2 harness, so I zip tied it together (mostly cause it's over 200 bucks for a whole engine wiring harness)

Thanks for help in advance.
You could splice in a new connector into the wire harness. My Saturns sensor connectors are all brittle and most people on that forum just splice in a new connector. You could try pull a part for a used one.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM

The first code P1157 is for air/fuel sensor 1 range/performance problem. This means the PCM isn't seeing the sensor moving through it's expected range of readings.

With the air/fuel sensor, you'll need a Honda specific scanner as most generic scanners don't read a/f sensor outputs quite right. This is the only way to know if the sensor is at fault or something with the engine's operation.

P0121 is Throttle sensor A fault, that may not be the code if you had multiple exhaust sensor codes. This usually refers to a drive by wire throttle sensor problem, you don't have dbw.

Have you got the same P1157 code again?

The connector shells should be available as replacement parts if you need them on the car side. Or get one from a salvage yard.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

hmmm...well it was a 120something cause the generic scanner (advance auto) said bank 1 sensor 1.

I was reading over the dudes shoulder.

and for me so far two small thin zip strips have held the sensor together real well. (no circuit codes like last time when I didn't know it was broken)

The odd part about this whole thing is the engine light comes on then goes off after a bit (time depends on how long i'm driving the car)

I filled up with gas yesterday and my city highway economy is 28.5 mpg
Old 04-13-2009, 04:32 AM
Too old to tolerate

I had something similar with my 03 I4. what i did was using "el cheapo" scanner, I erased the codes and then after disconnect the batt. the next morning, reconnect the batt and never had issue back. Would not hurt doing that...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

May I know what are the symptoms of having a defected air fuel or O2 sensor ?

Brembo Drilled Rotors
Eibach Pro-Kit
ContiSportContact 2 Tires
Denso HID Kit + Philips 4800K Bulbs
USA-SPEC iPod Interface
NAV/TV Interface
Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM

The sensor performance codes can cause the light to go on and off, especially if the sensor is only intermittently failing to read properly. It takes 2 trips to make the light come on, then if it completes 2 more trips ok, the light goes off.

A trip is one run from full cold to full operating temp while the parameters for the air/fuel sensor tests are met.

You're going to eventually need to get it to a shop that can get a Honda specific scanner and an oscilloscope on the air/fuel sensor to see if it's the sensor, or another issue that causes these codes.
There may be bulletins also that may apply, as some CRVs had issues with new sensors on older cars causing a similar code, the only solution is to reprogram the PCM to "see" the new sensor's operation as normal.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

okay, thanks for the info.

yay...money to the service department....my favorite expense....not
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.