Hitch and Bike Rack - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 8th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

Send a message via AIM to str86tt
Hitch and Bike Rack

I bought a hitch and bike rack for my Accord a couple months ago. I know there's that other thread in the 7th gen forum but it didn't quite have everything I was hoping to find while I was researching.

I ended up with this combo:
Hidden Hitch #60236
Thule Roadway #914

There were two hitch part numbers that I found for our cars. It looks like one was an older design. The one I purchased has the angled tubes going to the reciever which I thought might be better hidden under the car.

I ended up repainting parts of the hitch where the paint had been chipped off during shipping.

The install was fairly straight forward although it took us quite a while to get the exhaust unhooked from the rubber hangers. We did find that the backing plates that are supposed to be inserted into the hole in the frame was too wide to fit. The instructions provided say to file the hole bigger but I did not want to remove the e-coat and expose steel. We ended up grinding the plates a little bit narrower and painting the plates with Rustoleum.

Trimming the heat shields was just trial and error to get enough material removed from the corner that the hitch now occupied. There's already a dimple in each heat shield that marks the spot where the bolt & nut from the hitch are located. We used a 1" christmas tree (stepped) drill bit to drill a hole but it wasn't quite big enough. The heat shield just got bent a little bit when it was bolted back up.
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

For the rack, I believe Thule's website recommends the #912 which is the two bike version of the rack I ended buying. However, Thule does say that when using the 914 with a class I hitch it can only carry two bikes. It took a little back and forth with tech support to confirm that the hitch would go into a class I.

I tried looking at Yakima racks as well but it looks like you need at least a class II hitch to use their racks.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

some more pics...
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

looks like a good setup, will check this out. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM
4th Gear

Very cool! You know, I am about to install that exact same hitch tomorrow afternoon, for a kayak trailer; I will get me a bike rack like that as well. I take it since this is not for a trailer you didnt install the wiring harness, Im wondering how thats going to go. I will try to get pics if I get it done tomorrow... I like how the hitch bolts to the tow hook and basically just transfers the weight to the hook.

I decided I dont want to put my kayak on top of my coupe, so this is the trailer Im getting, found a deal on a used one nearby http://www.sportsrig.com/ these are pretty slick, extends the hauling capacity of the car and then folds up into the garage...

Thanks for the tip, I think Ill grind down the plates as well. The part about 'enlarging the hole' bugs the hell out of me.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT View Post
Very cool! You know, I am about to install that exact same hitch tomorrow afternoon, for a kayak trailer; I will get me a bike rack like that as well. I take it since this is not for a trailer you didnt install the wiring harness, Im wondering how thats going to go. I will try to get pics if I get it done tomorrow... I like how the hitch bolts to the tow hook and basically just transfers the weight to the hook.

I decided I dont want to put my kayak on top of my coupe, so this is the trailer Im getting, found a deal on a used one nearby http://www.sportsrig.com/ these are pretty slick, extends the hauling capacity of the car and then folds up into the garage...

Thanks for the tip, I think Ill grind down the plates as well. The part about 'enlarging the hole' bugs the hell out of me.
Yeah, I didn't do the wiring since I didn't intend on using a trailer but the pictures I saw of the harness don't look like it would be difficult.

I liked the fact that there was no drilling needed to install the hitch although I was bummed to lose the tow hook as a jack point. Now I have to work on the rear one side at a time.

That's a pretty cool looking trailer.

Don't forget those plates have a coating on them too. That's why I repainted them after grinding. I just hope using the heat gun to quick dry the paint doesn't keep it from sticking. :-)
Old 11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
noob

thanks for the pictures, have you ever put four bikes on that rack? I have a 05 Accord sedan and am looking for a way to transport 4 bikes, mine my wifes and two kid sized bikes.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to el Vato
Your my hero!

I was contemplating this setup as well. Now with your pics I get a clear view of what it'll look like.

Looks Great!
  • Rays Engineering Duraluminum
  • HFP Suspension
  • 12.6" Wilwood BBK
  • USDM Mugen Grille
  • 20% Tint
Old 11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to morcheez
thanks for all the info ...just curious how much did everything cost
08 ASM Coupe i4/ tint / lip spoiler / 6k hids / 20" verde chaos 45mm offset 255/35 nitto nt555 / eibach pro kit / autozone grille mod / weathertech floor liners / clarion touchscreen / tsx key / trunk liner/ dual exhaust, v-leds white&amber turn bulbs/ fog lights w nokya 2500 bulbs/ odyssey lower grill/ custom wall in trunk/ 35&20 tint/black roof/ color matched grill and rear "H"
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 AM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to zZz LoNeLy zZz
trying to find snowboarding racks but the cheapest i found was like $500 and thats just for the rack first. any of yah have a snowboard/ski rack on your coupe, can you post a picture. thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigme View Post
thanks for the pictures, have you ever put four bikes on that rack? I have a 05 Accord sedan and am looking for a way to transport 4 bikes, mine my wifes and two kid sized bikes.
Sorry, most of the time I only have one bike on there. It actually does say somewhere on the Thule website that the rack is only supposed to carry 2 bikes with a class I hitch. So, going more would be a do it at your own risk kinda thing. I bought the 4 bike rack because it wasn't much more and it gives me more flexibility.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morcheez View Post
thanks for all the info ...just curious how much did everything cost
I think everything ended up around the mid 300 range for the rack and hitch. The hitch came from etrailer and the rack from REI (had a 15-20% off coupon). I don't remember what I paid for the antisway cages for the rack.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to el Vato
str86tt,
Does that rack have the option of locking the bikes?
  • Rays Engineering Duraluminum
  • HFP Suspension
  • 12.6" Wilwood BBK
  • USDM Mugen Grille
  • 20% Tint
Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Vato View Post
str86tt,
Does that rack have the option of locking the bikes?
It's got a spot at the base to loop a locking cable through (I haven't been using anything to lock up my bike).

The do have a model, the Ridgeline that has a built in locking cable along with a few other extras.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Out of Control

Recreational Carrying racks

sr86tt, I admire you for attempting to use bikes for exercise. I have used bike racks on my Accords since 1992. But only use ones with rails above roof. One issue with a rack on rear end, is extension of car in terms of feet, which makes it very difficult to park properly without encroaching on an adjacent space or access lane.

Carrying two bikes on rear extension rack will add 3 or 4 feet to your car. No matter how one decides to rack their car for bikes, kayak, snowboards, or skis. I have found above roof configurations work best for me. Having a Coupe limits which above roof solutions you can adapt for carrying recreational gear. Regards

Richard
-3M clear bra, pillars, roof, rear deck
OEM:
- side molding
- fog lamps
- Auto dim mirror
HONDA Accords:
'99 Sedan EXL V6
76 K miles - 6th Gen (97-02) 3.0L V6 SOHC VTEC (200 hp)
'92 Coupe I4
127 K miles 4th Gen (90-93) 1992 facelift I4 2.2L (125 hp)
'85 Sedan LX 4dr I4
98 K miles 2nd Gen (82-85) 1985 refresh i4 1.8L (86 hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.