100 months limited warranty on honda battery? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
4th Gear

100 months limited warranty on honda battery?

Ok, the original stock honda battery with my 06 accord had been showing the sign of "I am about to give up". So I took my car to a dealership and they put a brand new battery under warranty (AND my warranty is about to expire in two months. )

Anyway, on that genuine new OEM honda battery , it has a colorful sticker saying "100 months limited warranty".

What kind of warranty is this exactly? Some kind prorated cost warranty????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Sold the Accord

If the battery goes dead within 100 months, Honda will replace it free. Battery has its own warranty against defects or premature failure.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:19 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
If the battery goes dead within 100 months, Honda will replace it free. Battery has its own warranty against defects or premature failure.
It is a prorated warranty like the OP mentioned. They might replace it for free within 36 months (most likely 12 months) but don't count on getting one for free after that.

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Pagani Zonda - When I win the lottery and move to Europe.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Sold the Accord

Honda replaced mine for free when it died. The first battery lasted about 2-3 years. Honda replaced it. Second one lasted about a year and a half. Honda asked if they installed it, and I told them the date. Once they confirmed the date in their records, they said no problem, they would replace it for free and they did. They noted the battery was defective for the replacement. My car is long out of warranty too.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Honda replaced mine for free when it died. The first battery lasted about 2-3 years. Honda replaced it. Second one lasted about a year and a half. Honda asked if they installed it, and I told them the date. Once they confirmed the date in their records, they said no problem, they would replace it for free and they did. They noted the battery was defective for the replacement. My car is long out of warranty too.
Is this mean that Honda is expecting their batteries to last for 100 months??? Hard to believe. What kind of warranty other brand of batteries offer these days???
Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
They always charge me a prorate amount whenever mine dies. They usually last me 5yrs.

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Sold the Accord

They noted the battery as a defect, because it shouldn't have died after a year and a half. But if I bought my own battery, then I would have had to buy another one on my own. So I consider myself lucky that I had Honda replace the first dead one because they handled my second one for free. So that is all that matters to me.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:11 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
They noted the battery as a defect, because it shouldn't have died after a year and a half. But if I bought my own battery, then I would have had to buy another one on my own. So I consider myself lucky that I had Honda replace the first dead one because they handled my second one for free. So that is all that matters to me.
So am I correct in thinking they will charge the OP a prorate to replace the battery in the future?

09 Accord LX-P A/T 31mpg

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM
06 6MT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superballz00 View Post
So am I correct in thinking they will charge the OP a prorate to replace the battery in the future?
I guess it depends. Mine was replaced for free. However, I have a really cool service guy that I always talk to first. If he is not there, I don't go.

2006 Accord Sedan 6MT Navi
Audio Control LC6I / Rockford Fosgate R600X5 / Infinity Reference 9633cf / Infinity Reference 6030cs / Rockford Fosgate Punch P1-2X10 / Parrot MK6000 / Diode Dynamics 6000K HID Low Beams / DDM 3000K HID Factory Fogs / Diode Dynamcs Stage II LED Conversion / Backup Camera / Mid Muffler Delete / Dynomax Exhaust Resonator / Fujita CAI / 17mm TL Rear Sway Bar / Tein S Tech Springs / Tokico Blues / Ingalls Camber Kit / Ingalls Stiffy
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Sold the Accord

It all depends on the dealer and their service. From reading these boards, everyone has different experiences.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Make that BluFlsh

IMO, if you go to the dealership for all your maintenance, you paid for that battery. The stock battery is not very good. It probably costs the dealer less than $30 for the battery. You can get a better battery at Sam's Club for $45. I think I've saved enough over the years, by doing my own maintenance, to pay for quite a few batteries.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

I just had this same exact thing happen. Based on the Accord warranty booklet, here's officially how it works. If a dealership tried to charge otherwise, then just show them your warranty booklet (there is a battery-specific section):

first 36 months: battery and labor is covered 100%
36-100 months: battery is covered at prorated charge, owner is responsible for labor

....the only thing I'm not sure about is if this time table resets with every battery replacement.
-USA Spec iPod Adapter
-Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth Adapter
-Custom scratches on front bumper c/o road debris
Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Too old to tolerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmo069 View Post
... However, I have a really cool service guy that I always talk to first. If he is not there, I don't go.
x2
Old 06-11-2009, 05:16 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyshick View Post
I just had this same exact thing happen. Based on the Accord warranty booklet, here's officially how it works.

first 36 months: battery and labor is covered 100%
36-100 months: battery is covered at prorated charge, owner is responsible for labor

....the only thing I'm not sure about is if this time table resets with every battery replacement.

.........if the 3/36 works for a replacement battery too..........I'm up for it!!

best, ez.....

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
.........if the 3/36 works for a replacement battery too..........I'm up for it!!

best, ez.....
I doubt it though, the warranty coverage in general continues only to the end of the original warranty coverage, i.e. the warranty time frame does not reset when the replacement component is installed even it was replaced within the original warranty coverage.

That is unless the "reset" condition is written into the warranty, which I have seen as a customer requirement in bid packages they send out to potential suppliers to bid on, although I very much doubt Honda will do so since it is not to their advantage to do so.
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Alpin PA2

DriveAccord.Net Forum Rules & Regs
DriveAccord.net Classified Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.