broken door handle - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

broken door handle

wud up everyone! So my buddy has a 2000 4 door accord and the driver side exterior door handle broke. i tried searching for a thread on how to replace it but haven't found it. Does anyone know of a link or how to with pictures on how to replace it? I tried to take it apart with the door panel off and was able to remove 2 10mm bolts and the wire that holds onto the lock but was still unable to get the handle to come out. It could go out a little bit but seemed like it was still held on by the lock or something. Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
My First Post

where you able to fix it?? I have the same problem, I take off the panel and the plastic that protect. I can only see one bolt... should I remove it?
Sorry for my english (hope you can understan the message) & thank you!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Greg

All I can say is good luck! Those door panels never go back on the same and tend to make noises one never believed were there before. I had the problem only worse- door handle/latch broke. Door could not be opened and had to remove the door panel with the door shut. Talk about a nightmare.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Old 07-18-2010, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

ok you have to tell me how you got it fix... plz My handle/latch are broken and i cant open the door at all and the door panel is still on....need to get in the door to fix it...

THANKS!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
2nd Gear

Hopes this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Body-Door.pdf (6.08 MB, 3325 views)
Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap116862004 View Post
Hopes this helps.
if this doesnt help.. I had the same problem with mine on the back door driver side..(ex gf got pissed and yanked on the handle with the door locked) I got a handle off of Ebay (fit well) and got it painted. The Haynes Manual has been very helpful for our cars. Good luck.. with about an hour and half of time you can do it no problem..
Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj.BLiZ View Post
ok you have to tell me how you got it fix... plz My handle/latch are broken and i cant open the door at all and the door panel is still on....need to get in the door to fix it...

THANKS!
I could not for the life of me get it off!! I brought it in to the dealer and had them get it off. They some-how managed it, it cost a pretty penny and then i had to take the dealer to the Better Business Bureau because they screwed up the window regulator and window switches. I guess if you can find where each clip is you may be able to get it off. I am thinking they pried the top of the door panel out just enough to stick something down to the latch and manually open the door that way and then take the door panel off with the door open.

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gstone/accord
https://twitter.com/#!/YacketySax
Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

damn man killing my hopes cuz i went to honda and they tell me its going to be about $400+ did you ask how the dealer they got to it???? i was looking at it today and it seems that the door lock is messed up...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM
My First Post

Hello,
I just did the drivers door on a 98 Accord EX. Got the panel off and the 10mm bolts out ok but couldn't get the handle off. After another trip to the dealership I figured it out.

There is a clip that holds the lock cylinder in place on the schematic. But it looks like you cannot get to it until the handle is out. Wrong. There is a space in the bracket under the lock cylinder to hook the clip and pull it straight down. You can't see it very well, a mirror helps, but it is there and once you have it out the lock cylinder comes out toward you. Once the lock is out the ext. handle comes free.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.