'94 Honda Oil Sensor Leak? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > The Honda Accord Lab > Problems & Solutions

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

'94 Honda Oil Sensor Leak?

Hey guys,

Hope this isn't a topic that's been beaten to death, but I didn't see much about it on the search. I had noticed that my car, a '94 Accord EX, began smoking and that I was leaking oil. I didn't realize how bad it was until the light came on one time and I filled it up and have kept an eye on it.

It was time for an oil change and so I did all that. I saw a drop of oil coming off the oil filter and I thought the guys at Jiffy Lube (I had to have them change it while at school) messed something up, didn't lube the gasket properly, something like that.

After I got it all changed out I noticed that the little wire and the boot above the filter was slick looking, so I guess I'm leaking at my oil pressure sensor. Is this something I can just tighten or does the sensor need replacing (I know it works fine since it made the light come on in the dash). Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Replace the sensor, the oil pressure is pushing it's way through the thing. It will eventually blow out and it'll just pump all the oil out at once.

Be careful both removing and installing it, the block is aluminum and easy to damage if it's cross threaded.

They aren't that expensive, you may need a special socket for it if Honda uses that type.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Old 06-17-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Cool, thank you.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

I replaced the switch no problem, but I can't get the boot for the wire to stay on there. It's cracked on the end so I'm not sure what to do. I know it's just electrical so it probably won't have any harm if it stays off until I can fix it later...but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
5th Gear

I had the same thing happen on our Accord. The boot cracked from all of the years. I left mine as is for now, I guess you could use electrical tape but with the heat, not sure if it would melt.

2007 TSX - Auto - 66k miles - Non Nav - CGP - Mine
2009 Altima 2.5 SL - 91k miles - Auto - Sister's
1999 Accord LX Sedan - Auto - 103k miles Dad's
2012 Camry LE - Auto - 4k miles Mom's

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Auto - 119k Sold 3/6/2008 Was Mine
2008 Accord EX Sedan - Auto - 37k miles Sister's Sold 6/20/2009

1995 Accord DX Sedan - Auto - 138k miles Dad's sold
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

Hi all,
When installing it, do I need to put some sealant around the thread? The leaking one has some kind of sealant around the thread. If so, what kind of sealant to use for it?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM

use a teflon thread sealant paste available at most parts stores, but use it sparingly, too much can make it not ground properly and turn the light on when it needs to.
Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.