Dual Climate, No Heat on Driver's Side - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Forum Insomniac

Dual Climate, No Heat on Driver's Side

The title says it all. I've read a few other complaints on other sites about this problem, but no solution. Is there some kind of door motor that controls how much heat is let into the cabin on the driver's side? Has anyone fixed this problem before or know how to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Sold the Accord

I haven't had that problem with my '03 EX-V6. Does the heat and AC work in single mode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Forum Insomniac

Um yeah. Basically no heat comes out on the driver's side at all no matter how much you play with the dual climate. Like I said I read a couple other complaints about the dual climate system. I did a little more research. For some reason the search function on this site doesn't give me the results I'm looking for. Anyway, the problem lies with a blend door motor.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=HEATER+UNIT

In the picture above, item 7 is the driver's air mix motor assembly, and I want to say that's the blend door motor that lets the heat in and out of the driver's side vents. Am I correct? If this is the part, how do I remove it and replace it?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Sold the Accord

Since you have a Dual Climate Control system, you really need to take the vehicle to the dealer. According to the Service Manual, the Climate Control system runs through the Multiplex Integrated Control System. Before the AC is tested, Honda will connect the vehicle to their HDS computer to determine if the fault is with the MICS before they test the AC system. Testing the Air Mix motor also requires a trip to the dealer. If you incorrectly apply power while testing the motor, you can fry the motor. There is an air mix motor for both the driver and passenger side.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Forum Insomniac

Damn. I knew there were two air mix motors, one for the driver and one for the passenger. I didn't know that the problem would require a trip to the dealership. Well, I live in south Mississippi, and having the no heat on the driver's side isn't too much of a problem since we have an almost tropical climate here. I guess I'll set some money aside and see if I can get it fixed before next year.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Sold the Accord

The motor may not be bad, the door could be stuck too.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Forum Insomniac

Touche! Is there an easy way to make the door unstuck? Can I just shove a wire in the vent and poke it? Lol.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
hey, if you want heat this time on year for the driver's side, open the driver's side window....

biloxi, ms..... nuf said....
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Sold the Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
Touche! Is there an easy way to make the door unstuck? Can I just shove a wire in the vent and poke it? Lol.
Not really. Part of the motor test is to determine if the door is stuck. When you apply power to the motor, if the motor operates but the door doesn't move, the door may be stuck. That is the test where if you apply power incorrectly, you can fry the motor.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM
My First Post

cheaper to replace motor than to diagnose??

rather than bother with the dealership diagnosing the motor it may be cheaper to simply replace it. A diagram of the parts can be found here.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/...=Heater%20Unit

items 7 & 8 are the air mixing valves for the driver and passenger sides respectively. Each Part runs approx 50-75.

Hope this helps
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 AM
Forum Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
rather than bother with the dealership diagnosing the motor it may be cheaper to simply replace it. A diagram of the parts can be found here.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/...=Heater%20Unit

items 7 & 8 are the air mixing valves for the driver and passenger sides respectively. Each Part runs approx 50-75.

Hope this helps
Dude, you're f'ing awesome! Way to revive an old thread and great first post! Now if you can answer this question... what would I have to remove to get to that part and replace it? Also, do you think any regular auto A/C and heater repair shops would have the know how to operate on these somewhat technologically advanced dual climate control systems (lol)? I'm tempted to order the part and take it to an auto A/C shop and let them look at it and fix it.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Hi Everbody here,

Anyone find a solution to this problem? I have a 2007 accord and it is blowing outside air on the driver side, even when temp is set to maximum. The passenger side works fine though (blows warm air). Similarly, when I switch on the AC, the passenger side blows cool air, but the driver side blows ambient air from the outside. I went to the dealer, but they want $99.99 just for the diagnostics. Is there anyway I can do it myself?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushini View Post
Hi Everbody here,

Anyone find a solution to this problem? I have a 2007 accord and it is blowing outside air on the driver side, even when temp is set to maximum. The passenger side works fine though (blows warm air). Similarly, when I switch on the AC, the passenger side blows cool air, but the driver side blows ambient air from the outside. I went to the dealer, but they want $99.99 just for the diagnostics. Is there anyway I can do it myself?

Thanks.
I just recently had the same problem and I took it to a Honda dealership. They didn't charge me to diagnose it but they did incorrectly replace the mixer motor the first time. Then the 2nd time they replaced the heater core which fixed it once and for all. Honda of America split the cost of the heater core replacement 50/50 with me though so overall the cost to fix was less than it would have been if they got it right the first time.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Forum Insomniac

Heater core? Ugh. I doubt it's the heater core keeping my driver's side from getting heat. The passenger side heats up like an oven. Perhaps I'll take a look at it next week and see if I can apply power to the driver's blend door motor.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blafrisch View Post
I just recently had the same problem and I took it to a Honda dealership. They didn't charge me to diagnose it but they did incorrectly replace the mixer motor the first time. Then the 2nd time they replaced the heater core which fixed it once and for all. Honda of America split the cost of the heater core replacement 50/50 with me though so overall the cost to fix was less than it would have been if they got it right the first time.
blafrisch: thanks for the note. Do you live anywhere in the Baltimore/DC/norther VA area? If so, which dealership did you go to? My local dealer wants 99.99 just to find what's wrong. I do not want to pay that much, when I already know whats wrong (almost). Can you also tell me how much you spent to change the heater core? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.