Recommended Maintenance Schedule - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 7th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Out and Proud since 1998

Send a message via AIM to Unity1
Recommended Maintenance Schedule

With nearly 29K miles on my 2004 Accord, I'm approaching some maintenance items. The dealer recommends a bunch of things like transmission fluid flush, etc.

My previous car was a Dodge Intrepid and you definitely had to change the transmission fluid every 30K miles... but I wouldn't expect that of Honda.

And so I guess my question is this: Which maintenance schedule would you go by? The dealer's or either of the ones listed in the Owner's Manual?

I get the oil changed (by the dealer) every 3-4K miles, whether it's really necessary or not... but on bigger-ticket items I'm unsure how to approach it.

Any input would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Gone but not forgotten

Good Morning All

My plan is to change oil every 5K, as for the transmission I will most likely due a simple drain and fill every 30K. I plan to do these myself. If the ATF starts looking darker or smells like it is burnt I might do a flush. Never have your tranny power flushed. Have had 2 bad experiences after power flushes..Both trannies quit within 15K.

Tire rotations will be done most likely every 15K or so. Have had bad after effects from rotations. I usually do my rotation at Firestone or similar with one of their $20 Rotate and balance specials or coupons. Dealers get $25 plus for rotations only. RIP OFF

Dan
Old 09-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Out and Proud since 1998

Oh, I have the tires rotated every other oil change at the dealer... and it's not $25, at least at the dealer I go to anyway.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Rush fan

I'm at 30k right now and here's my plan

DIY Oil change
DIY Tranny fluid change
DIY microfilter change (behind glovebox)
DIY air filter inspection (I have a re-useable K&N filter)

Tire rotation (at a local tire shop)

Brakes - I don't worry about brakes until either 1) I start feeling vibrations when braking or 2) I hear sounds coming from them. Then I take them in to have the rotors and drums turned and the pads replaced if needed. I've learned from past experience that the brakes will let you know when they need service. Just be sure to get them serviced asap once they start giving the signals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2005, 11:16 AM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity1
With nearly 29K miles on my 2004 Accord, I'm approaching some maintenance items. The dealer recommends a bunch of things like transmission fluid flush, etc.
I get the oil changed (by the dealer) every 3-4K miles, whether it's really necessary or not... but on bigger-ticket items I'm unsure how to approach it.
If you would, please ASK you service advisor why they recommend such frequent maintenance when the owner's manual advises a much less frequent interval (i.e. oil changes at 3k in-stead of the recommended 5-10k interval, or 30k tranny flush when the manual recommends an interval around 100k miles!)

Consider when you read replies in this forum that you are surrounded by maintenance junkies. Some change their engine oil and tranny fluid at rediculous intervals (I'm actually one of 'em).. but it is likely not doing much good.

As far as changing your tranny fluid, I'd recommend NOT doing a flush, but just simply doing a drain/refill with a filter change... if anything at all. It's amazing how few people know there is a serviceable tranny filter on the accord... odds are your service advisor doesn't even know. You would probably NEVER have an issue if you follow the manual and don't change it, though.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Out and Proud since 1998

Thanks, everyone.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

The auto trans fluid change every 30K is really cheap insurance. I think it would be prudent to change it at that interval in spite of the owner's manual.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

If I had a Honda automatic, I would be changing my engine and tranny oil at the same time (3-5K). Some people use synthetic in their engines, but from what I see, the engine will go 250K on dino. Instead, I will use the difference in price to change the tranny fluid, which will cost 6K to replace if it goes out, and it will NOT always last 250K miles.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 PM
next stop: 300k!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
i have flushed my tranny fluid twice, with no problems.....
I'm 5'6'brown eyes,38 old,no child,but like. Please press 1 for English. No child, but like. You are child-like? You like no child? You like children? Sorry, the subscription for my translator is expired.
PROUD FAN OF STEELERS, PIRATES, AND PENGUINS

DA moderator

2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (201k miles)

gone, but not forgotten:
1993 Honda Accord (341k when sold, retired @ 369k)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (168k when sold, last check-in @ ~197k, blown head gasket)
Old 09-24-2005, 07:04 AM
39.1 going on 40mpg!

Why are you guys paying to have the tires rotated? It can easily be done when you put the spare tire into the mix temporarily.
<a href=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/SSMV6/accord target=_blank><a href=http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png target=_blank>http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/210024.png</a></a> . . . . Last tank mpg = 32.2mpg

2005 Accord EX-V6 Sedan (3/05-1/13) retired at 127,110 miles
1993 Accord 10th Anniversary Edition Sedan (5/08-7/10) Retired at 153,007 miles
2000 Civic Si (5/00-3/3/05) Retired at 59,500 miles
Old 09-24-2005, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

Yeah but stiller you have one of the automatics when they were making them solid.
Rotating the tires is something most folks should be able to do easily in their driveway. It also allows you to inspect the brakes and suspension components.
AT fluid change every 15-30k would be great. This can easily be done by almost anyone. Maybe change the fluid every 15k & change the filter every 30k.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Drive It Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity1

My previous car was a Dodge Intrepid and you definitely had to change the transmission fluid every 30K miles... but I wouldn't expect that of Honda.

And so I guess my question is this: Which maintenance schedule would you go by? The dealer's or either of the ones listed in the Owner's Manual?

Except for warrantly work, which was gratis, neither of my Hondas have been back to the dealer since new. My dealer(s) have excellent service depts, but there are a couple of independent shops here that have saved me a bundle when it came time for major service (timimg chain, water pump, etc). Like many others on this site, I enjoy the DIY approach for the easier stuff. The independents here are Honda certifed, don't work on the dealer time standards, invite me to get under the hood with the mechanic, and listen to what I say.

The maitenance schedule in the owner's manual is the better approach, unless you want to help your dealer with the mortgage on his 2nd home.

Do not neglect AT fluid changes - - even on a Honda, and stay with Honda ATF (as well as other Honda fluids, except oil).

Talk to other Honda drivers near you and hopefully they can recommend a good independent. For a few weeks, I asked every Honda driver I saw at work, the gas pump, ball games - - met many interesting people who are always happy to talk about their Honda.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF
The auto trans fluid change every 30K is really cheap insurance. I think it would be prudent to change it at that interval in spite of the owner's manual.
I bet the dealer uses bulk atf. I'd rather do it myself than have the dealer do it.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Out of Control

As CA05LXDriver mentioned, Some of us are maint. junkies. I am one of those.

On our new Accord it goes like this.

Change oil and filter about every 5K. Use M1 5w-30w with M1 filter.

Drain and fill the 5at tranny every other oil change with filter change.

Rotate tires > front to back. Keep rotation the same. Inspect brakes and other wheel well componets.

Check and lube if needed all door, hood and trunk hinges.

Check and clean air fliter every oil change. K&N going in this oil change.

Cabin air filter and wiper blades every 6 months. Will change cabine air filter over to one that has carbon in it. A user here supplied a link to a co. that makes a filter like this for the Accord.

We expect to see 200k plus miles on this car and expect no major problems with it. We have owned the car 3.5 months now I think and it already has almost 10k miles on it. Seeing that the wife and I ride into Tulsa together now for work. The car will see a easy 30k a year. In years past we would both take a car in everyday and see 22k to 25k on each car every year.

The way milage will pile up on this car will change. The Ranger is paid off now so we will buy either a 06 Civic or a 06 Accord LX se sedan in the coming months.

If we get a Civic Hybrid or Coupe it will end up doing alot of the daily drive work and the Accord will get a break. If it turns out to be a Accord LX se or a Civic Si. They wont see as much of the daily work and will be more evening and weekend rides. With the Accord or Si getting some mod work done.

The maint. we be the same for them. The Rangers maint. has been the same also, and will continue as such.

You can never to do much maint. But you can do to little. All maint. and service work done in my driveway. Dealers = BAD!!!

X, 05 Accord EX Sedan,I4,5AT,Red/Gray,89k Miles (My Fav. Accord Gen)
X, 06 Civic EX Sedan,w/Navi,I4,5MT,Silver/Gray,44k Miles (No Better Than GM Junk)

Can you save a gal. here and there then blow a half gallon playing with the tach? It can be done!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 AM
2nd Gear

what is the difference between a mere drain and refill for the ATF, as opposed to a flush?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.