What kind of Boats are you/can you tow? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > General Drive

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:04 AM
4th Gear

What kind of Boats are you/can you tow?

Just wondering if anyone else is towing a boat with an Accord. What size, type, weight trailer config etc. Pics would be awsome. I have a no-drill draw-tite 1.25" with a 2,000# rating. I think something with a max tongue weight of 350# which sounds real low to me. now that I have a efficient car I could actually maybe afford a small boat lol, but I might now ba able to tow it! What a ironic situation. I'm looking at either a 16-18' Center console Fiberglass boat with something like a lightweight 90HP engine. OR... the jon boat route and get something like a 16' Aluminum 40HP "big boy" style jon boat. really wonder if either are towable with this accord.

Did some Spec research:

17'-6" CC Fiberglass Boat is avg of 1,000-1,300 #

Avg gas tank capacity is 30-40 gal of gas; 210 #

Avg 90HP outboard ranges from 250-300#

Single axle trailer wieght??? Have not found this. So far I'm approx at 1,810# on the high end, 1,460# on the low end. If it really is possible I'd be buying the lightest boat, trailer and engine and trailer. 2,000-1,460=540# for a trailer, which sounds like enough. So I'd be maxing out with a 17'-6" boat..... Might really look into this for real after the Holidays. Just looking for a boat I can take out every 6-8wks with a total of 4 adults on the intercoastal and lakes and cruise/fish w/out breaking the bank. Be kind of scary launching a boat with FWD. Sure be a first.
2007 EX-L Sedan, 2.4L, 5spd Manual, USA-Spec Ipod Interface, OEM Auto dimming compass Rear view mirror, OEM Fog Light kit, Goodyear Fuel Max tires @35psi, Magnetic Drain plugs in Trans & Engine. 36.55 MPG Best tank so far (336mi/9.193gal). M1 & P1 filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

A few random thoughts having worked in the boating industry for many many moons:

Keep in mind the weight of accessories. Batteries (up to three), trolling motor, anchor (chain & line), ice chests, live wells (full), fishing tackle, safety gear, just to name a few. When a manufacturer gives a hull weight it may not even include upholstery or steering console.

A wide body aluminum will require less power and upkeep. It will certainly weigh less than an equivalent sized fiberglass with a few exceptions.......Carolina Skiff comes to mind. Also you're not "stuck" with a flatbottom Jon Boat. There are many semi-vee hulls available that run well with moderate power. Do realize that excess toungue weight reduces the weight over the front drive wheels......that can make for some real sport for onlookers at a wet ramp as you spin the front tires and go backwards towards the water!

Two stroke or four stroke engine? Four strokes weigh more but are more fuel efficient. They also lack the "snap" of the two stroke when you pop the throttle.

The only positive way to know a rig's weight is to pull it over public scales. Looked into Tracker Boats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.