98 accord key replacement cost? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Go Back   Drive Accord Honda Forums > Honda Accord Main Forums > The 6th Generation

Drive Honda Accord Forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Unhappy 98 accord key replacement cost?

Hi,

I locked my one and only key in the ignition last night.

I have a 1998 Honda Accord EX 4 dr sedan.

What kind of keys are there? Which one should I get? How much will it cost?

Do I have to go through Honda, or can a locksmith make a replacement?

If I go through Honda, and I want the top of the line key, what kind of documents do I need? Drivers license and insurance enough?

Thanks,

Stupid Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 01:44 PM
banned

Stupid Me:

Far as I know, ONLY a Honda dealer can replace your key....with one that actually WORKS.

Sure, you can go to Wal*Mart, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance, NAPA, etc. to have a key cut. Said key will open the doors, trunk, and glovebox. But although the starter will turn over, the engine will NOT start. Why? Because of the "Immobilizer Anti-Theft System."

1998 and up, HMC incorporated a microchip into their OEM keys, which must be programmed by a Honda DEALER...in the case a spare or replacement key is necessary.

I would FIRST suggest you get a locksmith to open your driver's-side door...so you can remove your key, then take said key to your dealer to have a "T5" copy made. My dealer's parts department charges about $20 for a "T5" duplicate key.

Otherwise? You may have to have your car TOWED to your dealer, whereby you will have to furnish strict (written) proof that YOU own the car. Expect them to run a VIN check on your car. And expect to pay about $75-$100 for another key. Plus any towing charges.

NOT to insult you, but having only ONE key to your car is as bad as (or worse than) having only ONE key to your home. In either case, a lack of common sense and an exercise in poor judgment. And often very PAINFUL and EXPENSIVE mistakes.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

i went last week to the local Honda dealer they told me $65 for the key programmed and my car dont have to be there all they need is just the Vin #
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I would FIRST suggest you get a locksmith to open your driver's-side door...so you can remove your key, then take said key to your dealer to have a "T5" copy made. My dealer's parts department charges about $20 for a "T5" duplicate key.
$20? Maybe there's a difference between the 1998 and 1999 but, when I bought mine used and it only came with one key, I quickly took it to the dealership and had them make a couple copies. Even working from my original key, each replacement cost me $50 "plus tax." Of course, they did throw in a Honda keychain for "free"...
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 AM
6th Gear

My son's 98 came with only one key. Took that key to a locksmith (not a hardware store) and they cut and programmed a duplicate for about $30. That was a couple of years ago.
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 AM
banned

To All:

I can suppose that policies and procedures, along with key-cutting equipment, vary from location to location. I'll concede that much.

However, my dealer's service department and/or parts department will NOT let just anyone waltz in, requesting a duplicate key. Without demanding proof of ownership, for what they know, the car it goes to could be a STOLEN car. Thus, they could/would be held liable for assisting a thief with the crime. I wouldn't want to be an accessory to a "Grand Theft Auto" felony.

Again, my dealer charges about ~$20 for a "T5" duplicate key. And personally, I would trust Honda's (programmable) blanks more than any other.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

OK, thanks for the info guys.
I live in a small town in the upper Midwest. Here's my story.

I first had the locksmith over, $55. Ouch.

I called Honda and asked about keys. I told him I had locked the transponder key in my car, he said he could have made a dummy key and I would have saved the $55. Ouch. Stupid Me. But that's life.

So I got a T5, $35, a dummy key, $3, and tax, for $40.50. Now I'm set.

If I had lost the transponder key, I would have had to have my car towed to the dealership so they could call Honda get the info and put that into the car and then make new keys.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Me View Post
So I got a T5, $35, a dummy key, $3, and tax, for $40.50. Now I'm set.

If I had lost the transponder key, I would have had to have my car towed to the dealership so they could call Honda get the info and put that into the car and then make new keys.
Stupid Me:

THAT'S exactly what I was trying to explain, albeit poorly. Thank You.

NOW, you should be suitably equipped to protect yourself in the event of a future key mishap.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone know if we can use the newer honda keys (switchblade style) and program/cut them to our cars?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
banned

Caod:

Yes, I believe you can use a Honda "switchblade" key. But the plastic case is prone to break, takes up a bit of space in your pants pocket, and it is rather expensive. Few months ago, I looked at one in my dealer's parts department. They wanted $75 + tax. I said "Forget it!"
Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear

i went and got my new key from Honda for $65, it kinda hurted paying $65 for a key but i needed a extra key because my car only came with 1
Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

So I'm assuming that Honda has us by the kuhunas and we have to get the key from a dealer so as to get it cut AND programmed for a price that's outrageous for a car key?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

When I bought my 1998 Accord, it came with two black keys and one grey valet key.

I remember being told, "Don't lose your key as it is something like $100+ to replace".

I guess my dealer padded the price big time.

Thank goodness I've never had to replace them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.